Assos apparel questions

Kit Brand Talk. Everything under the sun, including sunnies!
kervelo

by kervelo

Ypuh wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:45 pm
Everything at Assos appears to go down except for the price.

There was a point in life (about 5 years ago) when my complete wardrobe was Assos. Since then other brands have caught on and Assos doubled or tripled their prices but fit, innovations that turned out not so well and QC have went down.
I must admit I have missed such dramatic price increases. Actually, it seems that it is quite easy to find discounted Assos apparel through the year. Check out the mantel.com in the Netherlands, for example. :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

Assos also has an official outlet website as well.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

kode54

by kode54

GaBa wrote:They only do longer leg model with GTO, which are 290 EUR. And they recently also changed their sizing, I have to wear S bibs now with 184cm and 72-75kg. Obviously they are (too) short. And with tights I am not even sure what I'd go with, S might be too short and that's bigger problem with tights than it is with bibs, but with M I get cuffing from chamois. Socks seem to get higher, new targa model? Haven't seen it live so can only guess from the photos. Equipe RS jerseys have long enough sleeves for my taste but they are not as long as Castelli ones (I have a couple of those from Maratona dles Dolomites), those are really right to the elbow in my case.

Also (still) not getting the point of having fluo jackets only in the front. Why not the back as well, it's even more exposed to the surroundings? The only explanation I have is that fluo on the back would get dirty from road spray?

I still like their products though, targa S9 bibs (now that I went with S) are amazing, so is for instance Johdah jacket (only problem is it's too large since I went with M based on 10 years of "experience" with Assos).
Vanity sizing I suppose. I was in the same situation. Used to wear M now S. I went with S Johdah and the fit is like older Assos winter jackets in M. Recent tights also got in S and fit is great. Haven’t tried Targa yet but I’m guessing I have to go S as well.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

GZAmk2

by GZAmk2

Assos cannot make overshoes, serial disaster zones. Why do I keep buying them? Maybe if you have tiny feet you can get them on without breaking the zips. The zipless ones are nice but after 10 yards of walking are reduced to shreds. Utter rubbish

Ypuh

by Ypuh

kervelo wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:35 am
]Actually, it seems that it is quite easy to find discounted Assos apparel through the year.
True that. I bought most if not all my Assos gear with 40-50%. That still means you're paying €175 for a jacket, but I always thought that was worth it (some are 5+ years running currently and only now starting to show some signs of wear).

Along with the sizing which appears 'off' to me, the biggest change has to be that other brands such as Q36.5 and 7Mesh have caught on in the technical department and brands like Rapha, Maap and Pas Normal Studios are not that far behind but take the upper edge in design and fit. They also match the (discounted) price range of an Assos jacket of let's say €175-250.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Not trying to shoot down Assos, but hopefully someone reads this and my comments can shoot the brand up again to my (Dutch tall) liking :mrgreen:.
Cervelo S3 - 7.3kg
Time ADHX - 8.7kg

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

GaBa wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:44 am
And they recently also changed their sizing, I have to wear S bibs now with 184cm and 72-75kg. Obviously they are (too) short. And with tights I am not even sure what I'd go with, S might be too short and that's bigger problem with tights than it is with bibs, but with M I get cuffing from chamois.
Good point. The Mille GT jersey I tried was a bit tight but workable in a small and not quite race fit in medium. I am 183 and 77kg. I have a Mangusta jersey in XL that is race fit. That is a pretty serious shift in sizing. Targeting the American market perhaps? The stuff just seems like is made for older, fatter people that don't like skin tight cycling kit.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Pabloldv

by Pabloldv

are the Ultraz overshoes good? Seem very thin compared to Castelli Estremo for example

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

GZAmk2 wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:42 pm
Assos cannot make overshoes, serial disaster zones. Why do I keep buying them? Maybe if you have tiny feet you can get them on without breaking the zips. The zipless ones are nice but after 10 yards of walking are reduced to shreds. Utter rubbish
If you want great overshoes, check out Spatz Wear. Fantastic products.

Pabloldv

by Pabloldv

BdaGhisallo wrote:
GZAmk2 wrote:
but they have to be less breathable than other options because they’re made out of neoprene, right? Doesn’t seem the best for cold in sunny conditions…

kervelo

by kervelo

Pabloldv wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:12 am
BdaGhisallo wrote:
GZAmk2 wrote:
...Doesn’t seem the best for cold in sunny conditions…
For cold, dry conditions: Gore Wear Shield Thermo over shoes.

wintershade

by wintershade

The GTO bibs come in two lengths. How does the inseam compare to the RS S9 bibs (the length of which, I like).

rob86

by rob86

I have 2 mille gt thights of which one I bought more recently (not the new C2 though). The latter one seems to have a chamois that is not sitting straight/misaligned. Looking at the chamois and the stitching you can clearly see the misalignment. Anybody else experienced this? Hopefully assos will provide correct warranty. Quite strange such things passes Assos QC...not really suisse precision here but maybe its a one off.

jadedaid

by jadedaid

Pabloldv wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:12 am
BdaGhisallo wrote:
GZAmk2 wrote:
but they have to be less breathable than other options because they’re made out of neoprene, right? Doesn’t seem the best for cold in sunny conditions…
I think the Spatz are only ok. At below -5C my feet get annoyingly cold. Until about 5C I can ride just cotton oversocks, so make of that what you will.

mendiz

by mendiz

After try RS Targa jersey and Pas Normal Solitude and Mechanism and MAAP Evade, I see that Pas Normal is a joke, incredible that they charge 200 euros and 180 euros for these jerseys ( I do not see anything special, only nice colours) when Assos is by very far better jersey. MAAP I feel the same like Pas Normal, overpriced. The only 2 brands similar in quality to Assos are Q36.5 and Xbionic
You don´t stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

guyc

by guyc

There are a whole host of manufacturers doing nothing special with fabrics or tech who are charging mad pricing based entirely on marketing. Twas ever thus.