Assos apparel questions

Kit Brand Talk. Everything under the sun, including sunnies!
c60rider

by c60rider

RTW wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:44 am
c60rider wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:28 am
I've found the s7 bibs to be awful compared with the previous s5. I have 2 pairs of standard equipe and a pair of the thermal bib shorts and more than 2 hours I'll have a sore. I have the same problem with rapha pro bibs. I don't know if they're essentially the same foam padding as they both come from the same factory the rapha being stitched in the assos being able to move. I don't have this problem with the s5 but sadly they're starting to wear out now. I get on much better with a bog standard plain, non anatomical seat but don't know if anyone makes a bib with that kind of chamois. No idea how they've changed the new s9 other than those odd looking extended bib straps that will apparently stop my chamois from slipping down :noidea: I would really like some high quality bibs with a plain boring shaped chamois if anyone knows of any
Sorry to hear this. I would suggest sizing down and giving that a go. If you are UK based, let me know.
Yes i am in uk. I note they're available from around January so I'll give a pair a go. If I'm in between sizes would you recommend going to the smaller or bigger size?

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

RTW wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:26 am
Hey Geoff,

I completely get it. My experience of the brand of late is that sizing is very consistant. All of the current jerseys in my drawer are the same size. Medium. There is a Cento, a Grand Prix, an Equipe, a Mille GT, a ForToni and a Fastlane jersey. All of these are the same size, but the fit is different. The Equipe being the tightest. Part of this is about expectations and how something is supposed to fit. If people want a Mille GT jersey to fit like an Equipe jersey, then you take one size smaller in the Mille GT. Torso length will begin to come up a bit short, but between two adjacent sizes this isn't going to be huge. IF the expectation of the fit is wrong, then we are in the firing line.

We get this a lot! For example, someone buys a Cento jersey and loves the fit, but has a Cento and doesn't want the same in the different colour. They then buy the Equipe in the same size, and find it tight and close fitting and complain the sizes are inconsistant.

In car terms it is like someone buying a Silver S500 Merc and loving the wafting comfortable experience. Then wanting a Red Mercedes and buying a Mercedes GT AMG and expecting the same comfort and experience, then complaining that they are uncomfortable and unable to get their golf clubs in the back of the GT AMG!

On the Equipe RS Rainjacket - sizing is similar to the Blitzfeder. The beauty of this jacket is that the material has stretch, so you can go tighter and minimise flapping in the wind.

On the Equipe RS Rainjacket - the zipper out of the box is really stiff. Put the jacket on, do it up and undo it 4 - 5 times and then it becomes no problem!
Thank you for the quick response and the info.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

@c60 rider - if between sizes, always go smaller in my experience.

GaBa

by GaBa

One thing I noticed and is worth mentioning in my opinion is a part of marketing or brand image, however one calls it. In the past in marketing materials/photos models always wore assos helmet ang zeghos and rode goomah. Now you see them wearing various glasses/helmets as well as riding various bike brands. It’s not a big deal but it were those small details that made some difference as well.

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

GaBa wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:46 am
One thing I noticed and is worth mentioning in my opinion is a part of marketing or brand image, however one calls it. In the past in marketing materials/photos models always wore assos helmet ang zeghos and rode goomah. Now you see them wearing various glasses/helmets as well as riding various bike brands. It’s not a big deal but it were those small details that made some difference as well.
Exclusive is good. Inclusive is also good!

Goomah and Zegho still feature in our marketing. As do BMC and other brands. In the days of instagram relatable images with a variety of bicycles, and a variety of brands is good. It is the way social media works. I am all for it.

TonyM

by TonyM

@RTW: THANKS for the information!
I am a BIG fan of Assos for more than 25 years now and I have no plan to change this.

KCookie

by KCookie

I love the Assos clothing, lost count how many items I have, but the sizing charts really don't make sense. My measurements says between small & medium, so bought lots of M only to find I couldn't even Zip up the tops fully as it would half choke me, also very tight under the arm pits, even in the riding position. Had to sell those with a big loss and bought size L and they now fit perfectly. The charts are a complete waste of time. Assos clothing really does need to be tried on before making a purchase.

kytyree

by kytyree

Having fit a lot of people in bibs in the past, I concur with the go smaller if between sizes. It is pretty difficult to make a pair of bibs work well that are too large. The straps you can work with but the rest of the bibs is harder to change.

Edit: I didn't see KCookie's post above before I hit send, but wanted to add that I have no insight on jerseys/jackets or any other top by assos or other brands. Buying a top has always been a roll of the dice and time and again across manufacturers I've found that whatever size I am it is in between the ones available. I'll take a smedium please...

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

A couple of years ago Assos shortened up their bib leg length by a couple of centimeters. I always felt that they were already on the shorter side of things even before this change. Much preferred the length of the shorts before the lopping off of two centimeters. Why was that change done.... i don’t think anyone was really clamoring for shorter shorts, were they? I mean, except for maybe Thomas Voekler.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

guyc

by guyc

I find them perfect for me now. If anything most brands are a little too long.

I'm hardly short with a 34" inside leg but I have proportionally longer calves than thighs (the opposite of what I'd like for cycling).

kode54

by kode54

After buying Assos bib shorts from the orange pads...I've gotten used to what the the race and relaxed fits have become. I think Assos should identify these as such, like most companies like Rapha does, such as Pro Team and the Core series. Because of the nomenclature, Cento and Mille doesn't mean relaxed or race cut. Pro in cycling terms would definitely suggest race cut.

One of the issues I have with the jerseys is the design/patterns. Not really my taste and goes out of style quick. So when the ProfBlack series came out, I was pleased to buy the Habu and Bonka jackets since they are plain with no gaudy patterns. And as much as I like black, I'm not a huge fan of wearing all black, top and bottom. Since most of the tops I have are more cooler weather specific, I ride with lights front and back, so not much of an issue there. That said, I almost always tend to grab Assos when the weather turns...either for the worse of just cooler...since the fabrics tend to be more technically better for me in rollercoaster temps.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

TonyM

by TonyM

I am also not a huge fan of wearing all black but I absolutely love the ProfBlack series without any logo etc...!!! I hope that Assos will maintain that line!

KevinM

by KevinM

I’ve been buying Assos since the orange pads too. Absolutely love the bibs, but you really are rolling the dice if you can’t try them on. I don’t have a local retailer so either buy from swissiconic or when traveling. The jersey sizes are all over the place. I agree, there has to be an easier way to describe cuts and to do recommended sizing. I’m excited about the new bibs (although not crazy about the “mork from ork/erkel” looking suspenders), but it’s back to waiting until I travel to figure out which size and fit is right with the new lineup, which is frustrating.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

kode54 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:20 pm
After buying Assos bib shorts from the orange pads...I've gotten used to what the the race and relaxed fits have become. I think Assos should identify these as such, like most companies like Rapha does, such as Pro Team and the Core series. Because of the nomenclature, Cento and Mille doesn't mean relaxed or race cut. Pro in cycling terms would definitely suggest race cut.

One of the issues I have with the jerseys is the design/patterns. Not really my taste and goes out of style quick. So when the ProfBlack series came out, I was pleased to buy the Habu and Bonka jackets since they are plain with no gaudy patterns. And as much as I like black, I'm not a huge fan of wearing all black, top and bottom. Since most of the tops I have are more cooler weather specific, I ride with lights front and back, so not much of an issue there. That said, I almost always tend to grab Assos when the weather turns...either for the worse of just cooler...since the fabrics tend to be more technically better for me in rollercoaster temps.
I agree. I am a long time Assos buyer and I have no idea what most of their naming convention means. It's one thing to be different but it's something else entirely when your long time customers can't figure out your marketing. I can only imagine that many who have never bought Assos before are bewildered by it all.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

@BdaGhisallo, Yes. Best to try on at a LBS for size and feel. When I started buying Assos, I couldn't find a ship nearby, so it was trial and error. So difficult for newbies to get started on Assos. I can't even imagine trying from scratch from current product line, especially since they are transitioning from S7.

@TonyM...I got my EQUIPE RS RAIN JACKET and love the gray color (instead of all black or the Lolly Red). Its enough to set it apart from all black. The ProfBlack winter jackets don't bother me as much since its so dark out, it really doesn't matter what color I wear...and have all my lights on at full brightness. Plus, the Equipe RS Rain jacket has a large vertical reflective stripe on the back. great visibility...from what I'm told from those behind me.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc