Assos apparel questions

Kit Brand Talk. Everything under the sun, including sunnies!
steveadore

by steveadore

Kjetil wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:06 am
I have an early Mille GT winter tight, nowadays it would be classified as a Winter Ultraz. No piling.
Thanks, it's good to hear that

kode54

by kode54

steveadore wrote:
kode54 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:12 pm
steveadore wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:35 am
kode54 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:25 pm
My Mille knickers are pilling as well.
Those use the same RX Heavy fabric as the Mille bib tights (both the older LL. S7 and the GT Mille), right? Not very encouraging :cry:
Yes, i believe so. I only have a few rides on the knickers...so its not like its a high mileage use...but indicative of the material's durability and behaviour. I would probably avoid any Mille RX fabric in the future.
That's a bummer! Could you share a photo perhaps? And what saddle do you use?
None of my other bib shorts have this pilling just the Mille knickers. Image
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

steveadore

by steveadore

kode54 wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:39 am
steveadore wrote:
kode54 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:12 pm
steveadore wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:35 am

Those use the same RX Heavy fabric as the Mille bib tights (both the older LL. S7 and the GT Mille), right? Not very encouraging :cry:
Yes, i believe so. I only have a few rides on the knickers...so its not like its a high mileage use...but indicative of the material's durability and behaviour. I would probably avoid any Mille RX fabric in the future.
That's a bummer! Could you share a photo perhaps? And what saddle do you use?
None of my other bib shorts have this pilling just the Mille knickers. Image
Ouch, that really hurts my eyes :cry:

kode54

by kode54

After 5-6 rides...so not much mileage. The rest of the knicker looks new. This is my only Mille product, not sure I would buy another based on many miles on Equipe RS and Cento products with no pilling. I didn't pay attention to this until someone mentioned it in a previous post here.

Saddle is a Fizik Arione 00, so not abrasive covering.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

steveadore

by steveadore

kode54 wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:20 pm
After 5-6 rides...so not much mileage. The rest of the knicker looks new. This is my only Mille product, not sure I would buy another based on many miles on Equipe RS and Cento products with no pilling. I didn't pay attention to this until someone mentioned it in a previous post here.

Saddle is a Fizik Arione 00, so not abrasive covering.
Yeah, there was Szalon in this group who had the same issue with the Mille bib tights, and I've read similar reviews on Competitive Cyclist, which is too alarming for me regardless of the sample size. The culprit could be the RX fabric. I've only ever had significant pilling problems with a pair of Mavic bib tights (higher end), even though I use embroidered SMP saddles exclusively. Those Mavics use generic Roubaix style Lycra (same as many of my other winter bib tights, which don't pill, however).

There's an old thread https://www.roadbikereview.com/threads/ ... rts.77535/ about the Arione causing some issues too, btw, but as far as I know, the Arione 00 lacks those abrasive panels on the wings

kode54

by kode54

I do believe its the fabric as my older S7 and S9 bottoms (shorts and tights) have no pilling. The S7 are beginning to wear out and material in certain areas are getting thin...but I have thousand of miles on them so I cannot fault those on anything other than wear and tear. I've never had shorts or tights last as long as the Assos ones, and when the only knickers that were available was the Mille ones, I bought them. The Mille knickers will be fine for this season (bought towards end of last year) but I highly doubt it will last beyond 2 seasons. So I'm waiting for an Equipe RS knickers...hopefully before these Mille's give out.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

steveadore

by steveadore

kode54 wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:39 pm
I do believe its the fabric as my older S7 and S9 bottoms (shorts and tights) have no pilling. The S7 are beginning to wear out and material in certain areas are getting thin...but I have thousand of miles on them so I cannot fault those on anything other than wear and tear. I've never had shorts or tights last as long as the Assos ones, and when the only knickers that were available was the Mille ones, I bought them. The Mille knickers will be fine for this season (bought towards end of last year) but I highly doubt it will last beyond 2 seasons. So I'm waiting for an Equipe RS knickers...hopefully before these Mille's give out.
Are the S7 shorts or tights? I thought the LL.Mille S7 tights used the same RX fabric

kode54

by kode54

Turqoise chamois TK.607. No pilling, although getting worn from excessive wear. Bib shorts Purple chamois RSR S9, no pilling. Bib shorts Cento turqoise chamois, S7, no pilling.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

steveadore

by steveadore

kode54 wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:10 pm
Turqoise chamois TK.607. No pilling, although getting worn from excessive wear. Bib shorts Purple chamois RSR S9, no pilling. Bib shorts Cento turqoise chamois, S7, no pilling.
This confirms my suspicion that it's primarily the RX fabric used on winter tights (as well as your knickers).

GaBa

by GaBa

I have the same issue on Bonka S7 tights.

steveadore

by steveadore

GaBa wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:12 pm
Damn! I really don't like learning about these issues just as I was considering getting a pair. Did you also experience it after just a few rides?

KCookie

by KCookie

These are my RS9 bib shorts after close to 2 years. Luckily still under warranty and the issue is under way. Hopefully get a new pair and not repaired.
Bought some RSR9S the same day and are in perfect condition.

Just received this email while writing this post.ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

GaBa

by GaBa

steveadore wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:24 pm
GaBa wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:12 pm
Damn! I really don't like learning about these issues just as I was considering getting a pair. Did you also experience it after just a few rides?
Not sure if it was just after a few rides, but they were definitely not heavily used. I have the for the second season now, I don't do many rides per winter, probably around 15 2-3h rides. Chamois is still the same violet color as news while on others, more in use, the color pales with use.

kode54

by kode54

The early Bonka S7 tights chamois color faded but didn't affect the outer. I have two Bonka S7 and a newer Winter tights which will eventually replace one of the Bonka S7s. My Bonkas are heavily used. I typically have 2 pairs which I rotate...with about 3-4 rides a week 25-35 mi weekdays and 50 mi weekends. Not much wear on them on the outside...unlike my Mille RX fabric knickers.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gerryc89

by gerryc89

Can anyone explain the differences between the Mille GT Ultraz and the Equipe RS S9 Winter tights?

I'm in the UK so not sure what the merits are for the ~£100 price different in the Equipe RS over the Mille GT Ultraz

I can see a fair bit of discussion about piling and wear here...