2016 Venge

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
53x12

by 53x12

OliverRB wrote:I wonder how the cable gets to that rear brake?

Well if the patent paperwork is any guide, it looks like this will be hydraulic. It was pretty spot on with their patent work to what the above picture shows of the front brake. If it was regular cable brake, not sure brake performance would be that well with all the turns the cable would need to take. Hydraulic, no problem. Probably why they went with hydraulic in the patent filling for these brakes.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

thumper88

by thumper88

I can't read what looks to the be rider's name on the seat stay, but look at the color stripe on the fork of the tarmac beside it on the roof. Etix-Quickstep. That narrows it down pretty sharply.
Clearly there will be some photos of it in action at Switzerland today.

Calnago

by Calnago

The good thing about manufacturers going to such incredible lengths to get as aero as possible is that there is no way in hell they will be able to justify with a straight face the addition of disc brakes to these monstrosities.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

ichobi

by ichobi

As they say... #aeroiseverything... Right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thumper88

by thumper88

Calnago wrote:The good thing about manufacturers going to such incredible lengths to get as aero as possible is that there is no way in hell they will be able to justify with a straight face the addition of disc brakes to these monstrosities.

My hope exactly, but my fears are otherwise. Maybe it's just me... I don't ride in the mountains, and in truth haven't worn out a set of brakepads in the last 8000 miles.. we just don't have reason to use our brakes that much around here. No doubt its different for other folks... but discs would do nothing for me except make me spend money on wheels etc.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

When I was at the 2013 TdF I went through 2 sets of brake pads in one week in the alps. Granted I am not a professional and probably did a lot more braking on the descents than those guys, but I suspect I am closer to the average cyclist who would brake similarly on such terrain.

I was riding a Morati with disc brakes as early as 2006. I lived in a mountainous area of Japan (as if there is a flat part) and really appreciated the discs. I wish I had held onto that frameset so I could run one of the new updated road disc brake systems.

Calnago

by Calnago

If you went through two sets of regular brake pads in a week you may have found yourself changing disc brake pads even more frequently.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

racermech

by racermech

That should be Cav's bike. Looking at the seat stay first name looks very short compared the the last, and the red flag would be the isle of man. An interesting side note, he is not on fsa cranks or rings. Wonder if that is because of the chain drop issues or do the fsa cranks not work on the new frame

thumper88

by thumper88

Yeah, the crankset threw me a little. But clearly it is a pretty small frame, and it's beside an etix tarmac on that car.

racermech

by racermech

Looking at the shiv frames, the small size has just as ugly head tube, but when you get to the larger size the head tube looks much more "normal" I hope this will carry over to the venge as it is pretty damn ugly

thumper88

by thumper88

racermech wrote:Looking at the shiv frames, the small size has just as ugly head tube, but when you get to the larger size the head tube looks much more "normal" I hope this will carry over to the venge as it is pretty damn ugly

There might be something to that... without a bulge at the top the head tube might otherwise have to be too short on the smaller frames... and Cav rides what, a 49cm? He was on 52, which i thought was pushing it for small for him, and he dropped even further this year.

jeffy

by jeffy

so. cavs bike. looks like mechanical dura ace shifters.
is there some kinda of mech->hydraulic box involved
Last edited by jeffy on Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dunbar42

by dunbar42

I don't think they are hyrdaulic rim brakes. I think that technology is cool but it never seemed to go anywhere.

spartan

by spartan

red or black bike? maybe we need to start a new thread 2016 super aero road bikes..

Current Rides:

2018 Madone SLR DISC DI2 9XXX
2017 Giant TCR Advanced SL 0 DI2 9150

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

The trek is sic