Is there someone who can reduce the weight of the Brompton?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

This can get very expensive and I do not think worth the effort since it is a folding bike that gets dinged up thru travel. At most I would put old dura ace from ebay.

craddock
in the industry

by craddock

Kinetics of Glasgow make modifications to Bromptons http://www.kinetics-online.co.uk/foldin ... /brompton/
But it seems to be more functional enhancements rather than just weight saving.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

you cut a beautiful saddle...ouch...

alanmclean

by alanmclean

can we please see 8kg brompton? I have B with Ti forks and rear triangle and they only save about 400g on the approx 12kg weight. You could save more with Ti seatube and light saddle but 8kg? I suppose you could go singlespeed and strip the mudguards but then the fold is compromised. I am intrigued and would love to see more lightweight savings which still leave it rideable and foldable cos even at 12kg it is a lot to carry for more than 50 yards.

For general modding then Ben in Kinetics in Glasgow will make you anything!

alanmclean

by alanmclean

mike wrote:This can get very expensive and I do not think worth the effort since it is a folding bike that gets dinged up thru travel. At most I would put old dura ace from ebay.

Hi, it is difficult to ding because the wheels are tiny and bombproof, the frame is steel and all the vital (and dirty) stuff is enclosed in the middle of the fold. Also many people like me keep it in their car for short trips so no reason to ding. DA no good for standard bikes because of need for weird hardware to accommodate the fold but doubtless someone will come along to explain how they have done it.

Regards

Alan

jahknob

by jahknob

Also very keen to see pictures of the 8kg Brompton, maybe a parts spec list too.

I have a Mezzo folding bike that I've modified and it will hopefully end up around 9kg (still to install the new SL wheelset with Novatec hubs/Velocity rims, Ti cassette, folding Kojak tyres etc), but this includes the integral mudguards and rack - as well as a 9-speed cassette. And the Mezzo uses a lot more "stock" componentry than the Brompton, so it's easier to find lightweight replacement parts...

Mezzo folders don't end up as small as the Brompton, but the anodised finish is durable, the main frame doesn't split, and there's a bit more adjustability in the handlebars. It's twitchy at low speeds (in a good way - makes you want to go fast), but handles really well. You can wheel it around folded like the Brompton. Unless you really need the ultra-compact fold, I would suggest that the Mezzo is a cheaper, more durable and easier to "pimp" folding bike option.

RyanH

by RyanH

If you're adventurous, Hylix has a 240g 600mm seatpost. Anyone care to weigh the saddle and post? They look very heavy.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

maxxevv

by maxxevv

You could probably swap the spokes for Ti ones to save a bit of weight.

Bogan

by Bogan

Man with a chainsaw?

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
MAMIL? Never. O.F.I.L. yeh! (Old F**ker in Lycra)

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

The problem with weight savings on a Brompton is the main weight is the frame and stem, and you can't really save much on that even if you have the ti version. Obvious weight savings are ti post and bars, and then put everything Bromptonification make to cut the rest of the weight.

Brakes have to be long reach calipers, no hi end manufacturers make lightweight ones so so may as well stay with the originals, but you can get some nice light levers.

Wheel wise you can obviously loose weight by going single speed, but hub wise they're isn't much to look at due to the odd spacing, I believe Phil Woods does hubs that fit, they are lovely but not light.

Lastly the BB is a weird width so I don't think you can just plonk in any old crank, certainly not a modern standard road crank,you also have to consider whether the Q factor is wide enough to clear the rear triangle.When I looked at this I basically came to the conclusion that a White Industries square taper with Middleburn arms was as good as I could find (unless you want a vintage crank)

Have fun, spend as much on it as you like, it's your bike after all
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

jahknob

by jahknob

For what it's worth, here are some pics of the "WW-ed" Mezzo folding bike.

Without the PowerGrips, lights, bell, saddlebag, it weighs 9.75kg on my electronic scale. The front (metal) mudguard is an integral part of the bike, as is the lowest section of the rear mudguard (though the largest part is plastic and can be removed) and I haven't tried removing the rear rack, as this would remove the "luggage wheels" for rolling the folded bike around. I'm going to guess that if I did remove the rack and part of the rear mudguard, the bare bike (which remains 9-speed) would get pretty close to 9kg.

It's 10.5kg as I ride it, with all the gubbins attached. I've left space on the ends of the bars for some short carbon bar-ends, which are great to ride with, but will compromise the final fold a bit. And I deliberately avoided using a "super-WW" saddle, which would have taken off another ~150g, or even BeBop pedals, which I think are great, as there would be issues with the folding and unfolding - and having to wear the "right" pair of shoes. A bike like this just needs to work - in regular clothes and shoes and with little risk of failure.
Attachments
DSC09700.jpeg
DSC09701.jpeg
DSC09705.jpeg
DSC09704.jpeg
DSC09703.jpeg

Twisty

by Twisty

For lightweight non-carbon cranks wouldn't Cannondale Hollowgram be a good option?
These Ti folding bicycles are going to be released soon, designed in Singapore and built in the Litespeed factory. http://www.seattle-cycles.com/products/