DIY Di2 sprint shifters

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TerryDi2C
in the industry

by TerryDi2C

If they are the SW-R610... yeah.. some hacking.

If they are a modified SW-R9150 (smaller case / different button) then I would probably just use a second junction B in the handlebar or the JC130. You would then get:

Left shifter => Y-splitter => Left sprint shifter
Left shifter => Y-splitter => Right sprint shifter
Left shifter => Right shifter
Right shifter => Junction B

Or connect both shifters to each other using a large Y-splitter and then connect that to the junction B..

johnrho

by johnrho

john92 wrote:https://youtu.be/0WKenl8c_Go

Sagan's new tarmac sl7 review. Once again shows the hydro di2 uses some kind of hack with those sprint shifters. Since there are only two plug holes on each shifters, I assume their mechanic connected the shifters to the shifter cables. Not sure how they do it with the etube system...
Confirmed by Specialized that Sagan was given a ‘pro-only’ version of the sprint shifters and won’t be released to the public anytime soon, if at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ritxis

by Ritxis

johnrho wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:37 am
john92 wrote:https://youtu.be/0WKenl8c_Go

Sagan's new tarmac sl7 review. Once again shows the hydro di2 uses some kind of hack with those sprint shifters. Since there are only two plug holes on each shifters, I assume their mechanic connected the shifters to the shifter cables. Not sure how they do it with the etube system...
Confirmed by Specialized that Sagan was given a ‘pro-only’ version of the sprint shifters and won’t be released to the public anytime soon, if at all.

Weren't you using modified SW-R9150 remotes? so they don't stick out so much under the handlebar tape

johnrho

by johnrho

Ritxis wrote: Weren't you using modified SW-R9150 remotes? so they don't stick out so much under the handlebar tape
Sagan is using the ‘pro-only’ version of the SW-R610 that fits the 9170 lever. Other pro teams are using a modified SW-R9150.

Ritxis

by Ritxis

johnrho wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:41 pm
Ritxis wrote: Weren't you using modified SW-R9150 remotes? so they don't stick out so much under the handlebar tape
Sagan is using the ‘pro-only’ version of the SW-R610 that fits the 9170 lever. Other pro teams are using a modified SW-R9150.

Sure that is so? I don't see it logical that Shimano produces a few sprinter controls for professionals, being able to reduce the casing of a series R9150 and leave them as R610

johnrho

by johnrho

Ritxis wrote:
johnrho wrote:

Sure that is so? I don't see it logical that Shimano produces a few sprinter controls for professionals, being able to reduce the casing of a series R9150 and leave them as R610
Its the same logic shimano uses huge chainrings used for TTs - they don’t make them available for public either. Also what Sagan wants Sagan gets.

pmdd72

by pmdd72

johnrho wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:30 pm
Ritxis wrote:
johnrho wrote:

Its the same logic shimano uses huge chainrings used for TTs - they don’t make them available for public either. Also what Sagan wants Sagan gets.

This just blows my mind. I'm recently coming from a rim brake/sprint shifter setup to hydraulic discs and had no idea the regular sprint shifters weren't compatible. For me, sprint shifters were one of the greatest innovations of the last 30+ years, right up there with clipless pedals, STI, and Di2. To be able to flick a gear in a sprint with the slightest thumb movement -- game changing. I just can't fathom why they nixed the compatibility.

But...am I making too big a deal of all of this? I've yet to personally see a setup with the bulkier SW-R9150. Who here has used both setups? Is there any appreciable difference in feel? I want to be able to effortlessly switch gears in a full sprint. How does that feel with the 9150s?

ms6073

by ms6073

No longer racing, but I have used both setups - sprint shifters with DA ST-9070 shifters and now the SW-R9150 satelite shifters with ST-R9170 Hydro shifters. While the 'foot print' of the newer remote shifters is bulkier, I do not find it overly obtrusive, but it does take more time to work with the bar tape to get a finished look. One thing that get glossed over in these discussions is that the original sprint shifters were simply extensions and required a set of shifters to work, where as the SW-R9150 remote shifters can be used independent of Shimano's Di2 shifters.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

pmdd72

by pmdd72

ms6073 wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:44 pm
No longer racing, but I have used both setups - sprint shifters with DA ST-9070 shifters and now the SW-R9150 satelite shifters with ST-R9170 Hydro shifters. While the 'foot print' of the newer remote shifters is bulkier, I do not find it overly obtrusive, but it does take more time to work with the bar tape to get a finished look. One thing that get glossed over in these discussions is that the original sprint shifters were simply extensions and required a set of shifters to work, where as the SW-R9150 remote shifters can be used independent of Shimano's Di2 shifters.
Thanks. Do you find any appreciable difference in how it actually feels to shift? For example, I could yank on the bars in a full sprint and easily flick gears with the original sprint shifters. Is that possible with the 9150s?

ms6073

by ms6073

Been on R9170 shifters since it was released so really can't compare anymore, but I think the answer will depend entirely on where you mount the remotes. I have Enve SES Aerobars and have the remote shifters mounted on the underside of the drops just at the point where the drops start to bend, thus my fore finger can easily extend up to shift gears If you mount them like Sagan such that they are just under the shifter and pointing slighty out, and still get the same action as the original sprint shifters.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

spliid

by spliid

Pmdd72 wrote:

This just blows my mind. I'm recently coming from a rim brake/sprint shifter setup to hydraulic discs and had no idea the regular sprint shifters weren't compatible. For me, sprint shifters were one of the greatest innovations of the last 30+ years, right up there with clipless pedals, STI, and Di2. To be able to flick a gear in a sprint with the slightest thumb movement -- game changing. I just can't fathom why they nixed the compatibility.

But...am I making too big a deal of all of this? I've yet to personally see a setup with the bulkier SW-R9150. Who here has used both setups? Is there any appreciable difference in feel? I want to be able to effortlessly switch gears in a full sprint. How does that feel with the 9150s?
I'm in the exact same situation. I saved a pair of old sprint shifters which I just assumed I could fit to my new disc bike with 8070 shifters. I was shocked and I can't follow the thinking of why not make them comparable and add an extra port in the shifters. Luckily I googled before just cutting the tip of and fitting them into the port. As you the sprint shifters are a complete game changer on my side. Indisponible.

akaspin

by akaspin

grouk wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:12 am
I'm a little confused by this scheme. I'm really far from electrics. Both climb and sprint switches are just on/off. The scheme should works only if both switches activated. Or I missed anything?

I plan to use two pairs of dumb Simano climb shifters. Which of the two schemes is correct?

1. Connect "sprint" to the split of the "red" wire.
2. Connect "red" to "red" and "black" to "black"

stevec1975

by stevec1975

seeing as the switches for the new DA 9200 are pretty much unobtanium, has anyone made their own for this gruppo yet? I assume it is easier as the buttons for 12 Speed DA are 'dumb' switches. Are the cateye buttons still the way to go?

mrbubbles

by mrbubbles

stevec1975 wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:52 pm
seeing as the switches for the new DA 9200 are pretty much unobtanium, has anyone made their own for this gruppo yet? I assume it is easier as the buttons for 12 Speed DA are 'dumb' switches. Are the cateye buttons still the way to go?
Interested in this as well, are the new 12 speed rs801-s or rs801-t just momentary dumb switches? If they are, one can simply buy the new cables and make their own.

ooo

by ooo

they have special connector

'

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com