Poor shifting performance with Extralite Octaramp?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

@hannawald -

the general consensus is the extralite rings don't shift well with anything. When I switched to etap, I went to praxis rings. Cannondale's MK rings are a lighter option if you can find them - they're supposed to work well. KCNC cobweb rings might also work well. After my experience using extralite rings for several (almost 10 years), I wouldn't go back to using them with any drivetrain. They're too inconsistent and it doesn't justify the weight savings.
Speedplay is the devil!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hannawald

by hannawald

Thanks, their weight was tempting but not at the cost of function..
A friend of mine recommends Stronglight with ceramic coating..50t chainring is 80g claimed. But not much experience shared here. From eshop reviews they should be ok..

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Just installed a set on a sram red groupset and it shifts very very very well. I'm getting a set for my bike too.

I think it depends on what you come from. If you're used to shifting with great chainrings (ultegra/duraace/etc) these might disappoint but if you come from medium quality they might surprise. We used truvative chainrings (sram rival/force) before the extralites and the extralites are much better. We will stay with extralite.

Mep

by Mep

alcatraz wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:01 pm
Just installed a set on a sram red groupset and it shifts very very very well. I'm getting a set for my bike too.

I think it depends on what you come from. If you're used to shifting with great chainrings (ultegra/duraace/etc) these might disappoint but if you come from medium quality they might surprise. We used truvative chainrings (sram rival/force) before the extralites and the extralites are much better. We will stay with extralite.
Have you still been having a good experience with the Extralite chainrings? Are you on the RC2 or CH2?

RyanH

by RyanH

I've had two sets and they've never shifted well. Either risk chain drop or rattling as it struggles to shift up.

MKV rings work very well, particularly with Di2.

Mep

by Mep

RyanH wrote:I've had two sets and they've never shifted well. Either risk chain drop or rattling as it struggles to shift up.

MKV rings work very well, particularly with Di2.
Thanks Ryan, I'd be interested in testing those out. The trouble is sourcing the 50T MKV rings. I haven't seen them for sale in maybe a year. Just posted something in the WTB section, hopefully someone on here has some for me to test.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Compact 50/34 rings (rc2)

Just tried them with etap and they didn't work at all.

Also I don't think they work for people that are used to push during shifting. You need a firm long push on the shift lever into a properly set max limit to shift reliably. I'm dialing in the max limit in extremely small increments to find the balance between fast shifting and no chaindrops.

So I think they are for mechanical only and for riders that have good shifting habits. Then they work pretty darn ok.

If you want a light ring for etap maybe try Carbon-Ti carboring. Those rings have even more pins (titanium) than sram originals so maybe you can shift from any crank position.
Last edited by alcatraz on Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:26 am, edited 4 times in total.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I have some extralite (MC) in route to me from r2-bike.... I have praxis buzz ready to go... MKV rings are too hard to find. I was trying to be a ww on my BMC Aero build
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Asked local Cannondale dealer of the MKV rings, they said these are "old", "out of stock" with Cannondale and implied they're not manufactured anymore.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

Erwin

by Erwin

spdntrxi wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:27 am
I have some extralite (MC) in route to me from r2-bike.... I have praxis buzz ready to go... MKV rings are too hard to find. I was trying to be a ww on my BMC Aero build
Have you tried the extralite rings, perhaps with DI2? Or did you end up with the praxis rings? Are those MKV rings really better than extralite rings. Found a comment in another forum:
"The MK5 rings are just standard 5 bolt chainrings, not great ones at that, light but a bit on the flexy side, not all that great IMO. A SpideRing would be a great improvement to your front shifting as it's much stiffer, doesn't flex as much side to side when pedalling hard and makes smoother, faster, crisper front up-shifts."

Searching for light 50/34 or 36 chainrings with BCD 110. Actually I have Tune (Bor) Triebtreter 50/34 mounted, but also weighs 130g. But they look nice and shifting is good so far.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

using extralite mid compact rings and yes with Di2.... they have been flawless since day one.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

Erwin

by Erwin

Thanks for your quick reply. I am able to get hands on nearly new MKV 50/34 rings. I am between the MKV or the extralite rings, but I think to give MKVs a chance, because the extralites are easier to get later.