Ultra Lightweight CARBON WORKS bottle cage 5 gr

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
User avatar
VTR1000SP2
Posts: 379
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:21 pm

by VTR1000SP2

I may sell these cages but I can certainly tell you that myself and anyone I know that uses them has 0 complaints. Sometimes things just work as advertised.
42.

User avatar
VTR1000SP2
Posts: 379
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:21 pm

by VTR1000SP2

justaute wrote:This is the mtbr thread I was referring to earlier. See post #37.

http://forums.mtbr.com/weight-weenies/l ... 03228.html


I'm fairly certain the cages that developed the issues were not the 8 gram version which is the only one I would recommend for MTB use. I haven't seen this with any of the cages I've sold but I do stress the importance of sticking with the intended use for the purchased model. The 6,5 gram model is what I use for my daily ride and the climbing roadie has the 5 gram model. Trouble free for 18 months.
42.

by Weenie


User avatar
Gearjunkie
Posts: 811
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:17 am
Location: NZ

by Gearjunkie

I suspect that rattling, hold and durability are all affected by the bottle size.

I run the Soma bottles - lightest I've found by far, don't leak and don't taint but more rigid and slightly smaller diameter than most bottles.

But the rattling, hold and durability of the Carbon Works cages has been, shall we say, less than ideal with Soma bottles...

User avatar
VTR1000SP2
Posts: 379
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:21 pm

by VTR1000SP2

Give the Elite Fly a try. I've used them with success on these cages despite how flimsy the bottles are.

Gearjunkie wrote:I suspect that rattling, hold and durability are all affected by the bottle size.

I run the Soma bottles - lightest I've found by far, don't leak and don't taint but more rigid and slightly smaller diameter than most bottles.

But the rattling, hold and durability of the Carbon Works cages has been, shall we say, less than ideal with Soma bottles...




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
42.

RyanH
Moderator
Posts: 2199
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:01 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

by RyanH

Purist bottles also work well with these cages.

thumper88
Posts: 146
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:27 pm

by thumper88

oldturd wrote:
thumper88 wrote:
oldturd wrote:Just did my first "road test" yesterday.. these are my favourite cages by far! I've only used the Tune Wassertrager 2.0, currently also have a set of King Cages, and of course the tried and true Elite Custom Races but none of them allowed for my bottle to slide in and out as easily and the grip on the bottles were of no concern.. woohoo.. would recommend these :)



How much rattling and jouncing did you subject them to, and have you tried diff bottles, just out of curiosity? ribcages have served me well, but have discovered the slightly heavier plastic ones have great grip on pretty much every bottle, but the carbon ones let a lot of bottles rattle...


Not that much rattling and jouncing to be honest- I've done the odd gravel access paths and stretches of uneven asphalt but never noticed any rattling.

I use mostly Purists bottles however do have a couple Camelbaks which I have tried resulting in same. carbonwerks recommends the Tacx bottles though..

hope this helps!




good to know... odd you mention camelbacks.... they're my go to for looser cages. they pretty clearly are just slightly larger than the norm... hard to pull out of the cage to be sure but they're like additional insurance on rough surface and/or with loose cage.

thumper88
Posts: 146
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:27 pm

by thumper88

RyanH wrote:Purist bottles also work well with these cages.


Purists are what I would use all the time, but in the carbon ribcages they are def too lose for rough surfaces...in the plastic ones they're great.

JackRussellRacing
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:32 pm
Location: North Carolina, USA

by JackRussellRacing

FWIW, the Elite Corsa Biodegradeable (550ml) bottles work great in these cages. I've had zero issues with them in a hard season of use. There is some slight delamination beginning to show, but it appears only cosmetic.

oldturd
Posts: 118
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:10 am

by oldturd

thumper88 wrote:
oldturd wrote:
thumper88 wrote:
oldturd wrote:Just did my first "road test" yesterday.. these are my favourite cages by far! I've only used the Tune Wassertrager 2.0, currently also have a set of King Cages, and of course the tried and true Elite Custom Races but none of them allowed for my bottle to slide in and out as easily and the grip on the bottles were of no concern.. woohoo.. would recommend these :)



How much rattling and jouncing did you subject them to, and have you tried diff bottles, just out of curiosity? ribcages have served me well, but have discovered the slightly heavier plastic ones have great grip on pretty much every bottle, but the carbon ones let a lot of bottles rattle...


Not that much rattling and jouncing to be honest- I've done the odd gravel access paths and stretches of uneven asphalt but never noticed any rattling.

I use mostly Purists bottles however do have a couple Camelbaks which I have tried resulting in same. carbonwerks recommends the Tacx bottles though..

hope this helps!




good to know... odd you mention camelbacks.... they're my go to for looser cages. they pretty clearly are just slightly larger than the norm... hard to pull out of the cage to be sure but they're like additional insurance on rough surface and/or with loose cage.


Now you got me second guessing myself. I'll check again once I'm off work. :beerchug: :beerchug:

thumper88
Posts: 146
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:27 pm

by thumper88

[/quote]




good to know... odd you mention camelbacks.... they're my go to for looser cages. they pretty clearly are just slightly larger than the norm... hard to pull out of the cage to be sure but they're like additional insurance on rough surface and/or with loose cage.[/quote]

Now you got me second guessing myself. I'll check again once I'm off work. :beerchug: :beerchug:[/quote]


if its the same Purists... mine seem like, the faintest bit of triangular in section...

Imaking20
Posts: 1615
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:19 am

by Imaking20

I'm a couple weeks into using these and they seem fine. I feel like I need to be more gentle with them than Mandibles but they don't seem like they're going to lose a bottle. I think my preference is a LITTLE more grip, but that's more of a feel thing than function.
Current:
T2

Retired:
Blue | Project C6.0 | Felt AR FRD | Colnago C59 NERO | 2014 S-Works Tarmac | S-Works Venge | Wilier Cento Uno SL | Tarmac SL2

thumper88
Posts: 146
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:27 pm

by thumper88

Imaking20 wrote:I'm a couple weeks into using these and they seem fine. I feel like I need to be more gentle with them than Mandibles but they don't seem like they're going to lose a bottle. I think my preference is a LITTLE more grip, but that's more of a feel thing than function.


May be something you could do to the inside surface of them to add just a little more friction. I dunno...waxing with surfboard wax... or light sanding.... or light sanding followed by clear coat with a little nonskid grit thrown in. Just a few ideas, prob off to the side.

Pop
Posts: 122
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:43 am

by Pop

If someone wants to sell its carbonworks cage....(even I wouldn't understand its reasons...), please PM!!
Thanks!

Enviado desde mi ONEPLUS A3003 mediante Tapatalk



User avatar
Carbonwork
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun May 10, 2015 6:10 pm

by Carbonwork

V E R S I O N 2.1

- upgraded version 2.0 to 2.1 with significant improvements
- will be delivered from now on.

The material around the holes is much stronger, the whole cage is stiffer.
The protective cover over the arms is significantly more resistant to abrasion and extremely tough!
The lower nose is reinforced again.

If you had problems with the old versions, you can request a crash replacement directly from us.

To all of our fans: Thank you!! :thumbup:

by Weenie


NiFTY
Posts: 1195
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 11:26 pm

by NiFTY

Whats the weight of the updated cages?
Evo 5.02kg SL3 6.77 Slice RS 8.89 viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post