Ultra Lightweight CARBON WORKS bottle cage 5 gr

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

froze wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:49 am
At least the reviews so far seem to be highly favorable, durability issues hasn't been formulated yet since they haven't been around long enough. But $70 for one cage with about $2 in carbon fiber seems a bit high to me. But I understand this is cycling and manufactures can charge a lot for stuff that's cheaply made. I think if I were to consider these cages I would go with the MTB HD version on my road bike just to make sure it would hold my bottles, and besides it's only 8 grams.

My question is will the bolts that mount the cages to the bike crush the carbon fiber when tightened down?
I've happily used these for +2 seasons. I fully intend to keep using them, but am intrigued by Werking's new Alptitude carbon cage.

In the spirit full transparency, I've had a couple of issues (and another that was totally my fault) but Simon is a class-act and made it more than right. A first-gen cage broke on its own while JRA. Another first-gen broke one when I squeezed it together to see how much forgiveness there is - not that much! My fault. Two later-gen cages had the sleeve material come apart that affected aesthetics and not function.

With respect to the included lightweight bolts, the heads will eventually strip if you monkey with them over and over. They're easily replaceable with the same, aluminium, steel, etc.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

froze

by froze

Johnny Rad wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:01 am
froze wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:49 am
At least the reviews so far seem to be highly favorable, durability issues hasn't been formulated yet since they haven't been around long enough. But $70 for one cage with about $2 in carbon fiber seems a bit high to me. But I understand this is cycling and manufactures can charge a lot for stuff that's cheaply made. I think if I were to consider these cages I would go with the MTB HD version on my road bike just to make sure it would hold my bottles, and besides it's only 8 grams.

My question is will the bolts that mount the cages to the bike crush the carbon fiber when tightened down?
I've happily used these for +2 seasons. I fully intend to keep using them, but am intrigued by Werking's new Alptitude carbon cage.

In the spirit full transparency, I've had a couple of issues (and another that was totally my fault) but Simon is a class-act and made it more than right. A first-gen cage broke on its own while JRA. Another first-gen broke one when I squeezed it together to see how much forgiveness there is - not that much! My fault. Two later-gen cages had the sleeve material come apart that affected aesthetics and not function.

With respect to the included lightweight bolts, the heads will eventually strip if you monkey with them over and over. They're easily replaceable with the same, aluminium, steel, etc.
Thanks for the experienced reply. I was afraid of this sort thing being an issue when a company tries to make a product to lightweight to appeal to the weight weenies of this world. Maybe if they added a titanium core (or weave Kevlar into the carbon weave?) to it it would allow flex without destruction as what happened to you, and then bring that titanium out at the mounting loops to make it crush proof when being tightened onto the frame. Of course that would bring the weight up and what would be the fun in that? I think with all the issues you had it simply isn't ready for prime time. But at least they're not as expensive as Arundel Tri Clamp cages at $180 each!

I like the Bontrager RXL cages, not the lightest on the market at 23 grams but I use heavy large size Polar bottles and they hold them just fine...but I only buy them when I find them on sale because I'm cheap!! I got my set on sale for $19 each instead of the retail price of $50 each otherwise I would have never bought them. I have a lot of various cages I like, like the Chris King Stainless steel, Bontrager RL which is a great deal for cheap and the weight isn't bad.

I'm thinking of trying the Elite Pria Pave adjustable cages on my touring bike because my alloy cages I been using haven't fair'd well with stainless steel bottles, which weren't really designed for cages but I found a set that fitted snugly into the cages at Walmart, but I'm still investigating what to use yet.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

froze wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:05 pm
Thanks for the experienced reply...
From my perspective, this is WW and I dig carbonwork’s design “as is.”

Happy shopping for the right cage for you.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

froze wrote:
But at least they're not as expensive as Arundel Tri Clamp cages at $180 each!
Um, did I miss something in the thread? The Arundel Tri Clamp is not a bottle cage, it is the clamp to which the bottle cages attach.

froze

by froze

Stolichnaya wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:41 am
froze wrote:
But at least they're not as expensive as Arundel Tri Clamp cages at $180 each!
Um, did I miss something in the thread? The Arundel Tri Clamp is not a bottle cage, it is the clamp to which the bottle cages attach.
No I think I missed something! Now I can't find this cage, it was a cage AND the clamp together was what the price I saw was for.

1sanglier

by 1sanglier

I see in GCN Eurobike video report a bottle cage at 3.95gr. It's look like carbonworks.
Is it a special build for Eurobike ?

RyanH

by RyanH

froze wrote: Thanks for the experienced reply. I was afraid of this sort thing being an issue when a company tries to make a product to lightweight to appeal to the weight weenies of this world.
I do not understand how you can come to the conclusion they're not ready for prime time. Maybe they're not for you but for a cage that is pushing the limits of weight, they're the best out there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

RyanH wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:41 pm
I do not understand how you can come to the conclusion they're not ready for prime time. Maybe they're not for you but for a cage that is pushing the limits of weight, they're the best out there.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Speedplay is the devil!

froze

by froze

RyanH wrote:
froze wrote: Thanks for the experienced reply. I was afraid of this sort thing being an issue when a company tries to make a product to lightweight to appeal to the weight weenies of this world.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I'm not going to argue whether or not their the best, I just think with the weight of the cage that they're not going to last long. I think they need to improve, IE strengthen, the fastener area, because with a cage that light I would be concerned with overt tightening a bolt onto the CF fastener and take a chance of crushing the CF as does happen with various CF parts on other areas of a bike.

This is why I said that "maybe" the MTB version might be the better buy since it's a tad beefier but still hardly weighs anything, but even with that one I would still be concerned with the fastener area, but for heavier bottles like the Polar or Camelbak's the MTB one should hold them just fine.

If they improve the fastener area so that someone couldn't accidently crush it when they tighten it onto their frame I seriously doubt it would raise the weight by more than maybe 10 grams to reinforce that area, so now it weighs 15 grams which is still very light...unless of course you can prove to us that the cage fastener area is crush proof.

kode54

by kode54

you can crush any carbon part if you tightened it a bit too much. carbon stem. carbon seat post. carbon steerer. carbon handlebar. carbon cage.

i think most here have torque wrenches and are well aware of tolerances when tightening up bolts for carbon parts. and most use common sense at that.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

antonioiglesius

by antonioiglesius

froze wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:58 pm
unless of course you can prove to us that the cage fastener area is crush proof.
There is no such thing as crush proof. Products are made for specific applications, with reasonable usage patterns and design specs in mind. The moment we deviate from the specs the product is engineered for, its performance becomes undefined.

Carbonwork

by Carbonwork

Hello :)

I have just read the concerns about the cages ;)
No worries - we are improving the cages almost every month.
In 2018 we have improved almost everything and every part of the cages:
1. the parts for the screws (I call them "middle-elements") got much thicker and stronger fibers,
2. we found a new material for the rubber surface protection layer of the heavier 7-8 grams version - it is thicker and much(!) more durable and resistand against dirt,
3. the hook/nose has more carbon fibers in it and is also thicker now.
4. and there are some invisible improvments inside to make them stronger, too!

As a result the 7 grams version is now tending to 8 grams.

So from now on there will be the two versions 5 grams and 8 grams.

I always recommend the 8 grams version because of its protection-layer!

By virtue of this layer the 8 grams version has:
- more grip to hold the bottle stronger,
- a smoother surface to protect the bottle from scratches,
- a longer life expectancy.

(especially when riding very often in rain with much dirt between bottle and cage)

The 5 grams version will still be available. But I recommend them only for ultra-lightweight racebikes, which are not driven so often in the rain. Please use max. 750 ml bottles.

Thanks to all of you!
I enjoy (every night) making your bottlecages the best in the world.

Simon

trimenc

by trimenc

froze wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:58 pm
RyanH wrote:

I'm not going to argue whether or not their the best,

FROZE:
I can tell you that I have had a pair of these cages on my bike that I ride about 4 times a week, for well over 2 years now and they both carry 750ml Polar bottles without one problem, ever! I don't think Simon needs to do anything to these cages.....even though he keeps improving them. They are perfect just the way that are currently. If you have half a brain, you will not "crush" the bolt attachment by just using a torque wrench. No other part of the cage will give you issues either, and if they do...Simon stands behind them and will send you a new one....simple as that. The weight of the cage has nothing to do with how long they will last.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Carbonwork wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:02 pm
Thanks to all of you!
I enjoy (every night) making your bottlecages the best in the world.

Simon
Thanks, Simon. Keep up the good work.

First, it was a cage. Then the computer / stem faceplate mount. What’s next?!

:thumbup:

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Look great, work great, light as a feather. Couldn't be happier with my 5g versions (which are more like 4.5g somehow).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com