Ultra Lightweight CARBON WORKS bottle cage 5 gr

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

NiFTY wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 11:48 pm
Whats the weight of the updated cages?

8g according to their eBay listings

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

antonioiglesius

by antonioiglesius

@carbonwork

Maybe there can be small, transparent rubber-like tabs placed on the parts in contact with the bottle. E.g. for simplicity imagine the red circles below (I stole oldturd's photo) represent spherical rubber bits. There are different sized rubber tabs that can be swapped by the user. The goal is to separate the functionalities: the carbon parts are focused on being strong and light, while the tasks of fitting different bottle sizes, minimizing abrasion against the carbon parts, preventing rattling noises, are pushed to the rubber bits. The rubber bits, being transparent and small, should not significantly, negatively impact aesthetics and weight.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

6 soft rubber rings would weigh maybe 2-3g total and need to be secured in place. They would also be severely lacking in durability. Frequent utilization would accelerate the wear.

TL;DR you’d end up with cages that aren’t much lighter than existing options that don’t have weak rubber bits.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

@Carbonwork I've ordered my cage a month ago, any chance it's a 2.1? No complains about it, I did not have the chance to use it yet.

antonioiglesius

by antonioiglesius

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 2:27 am
6 soft rubber rings would weigh maybe 2-3g total and need to be secured in place. They would also be severely lacking in durability. Frequent utilization would accelerate the wear.

TL;DR you’d end up with cages that aren’t much lighter than existing options that don’t have weak rubber bits.
Interesting. In your analysis, what type of rubber did you use? What is the expected life, density, hardness of the rubber bits? Do you know of any or have you worked on specific related cases?

SK5

by SK5

Or you can go blue carbonworks (I added the blue dye and resin - I also removed the bottle stop and use the seat tube as a stop)

Carbonwork

by Carbonwork

Thank you for your ideas!

The new rubber surface is extrem resistant. There is no comparison to the old 6.5 version-surface. The idea of antonioiglesius can be used for the 5 gr version - great idea - I will keep that in mind.

The version 2.1 doesn´t need any extra surface protection. The weight is about 7 grams. We still claim it as 8 grams - not to shock someone who bought a 7 g cage with 7.2 g.
We have been optimizing this cage the last year, but now all advantages are included. So if you bought a month ago, the cages got almost everything of the new technology. The last thing we added is the stiffness in general.
The 5 grams version got the same upgrades except the surface protection.

Maybe I try some colored editions in future. Made this already with Iphone cases and my old bottlecages.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Pics of the new cage?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

Carbonwork

by Carbonwork

The design of the new cage is not different from the others. We only use better materials.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

It's been two years using Carbonwork's cages and I'm still happy. :thumbup:

Just wanted to share a small modification I made to the installation... I finally determined that my bottle lids were rattling against my frame on uneven pavement (it wasn't the brake cable inside the top tube). A few hundred miles ago, I placed thin neoprene washers / grommets between the frame and cages to get a bit of breathing room, which successfully solved the rattling. Woot! Woot! Hope this helps someone suffering the same annoying rattling.

Pop

by Pop

Now they are more expensive??...

Enviado desde mi ONEPLUS A3003 mediante Tapatalk

kode54

by kode54

just to get an idea about the 2 different thicknesses, which one is this?
is it the thinner version?

and does anyone have the thicker plastic coated version on their bike to see for reference?

thx.
Johnny Rad wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 7:45 pm
Here's a better pic...

- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

froze

by froze

At least the reviews so far seem to be highly favorable, durability issues hasn't been formulated yet since they haven't been around long enough. But $70 for one cage with about $2 in carbon fiber seems a bit high to me. But I understand this is cycling and manufactures can charge a lot for stuff that's cheaply made. I think if I were to consider these cages I would go with the MTB HD version on my road bike just to make sure it would hold my bottles, and besides it's only 8 grams.

My question is will the bolts that mount the cages to the bike crush the carbon fiber when tightened down?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

kode54 wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:16 pm
just to get an idea about the 2 different thicknesses, which one is this?
is it the thinner version?

and does anyone have the thicker plastic coated version on their bike to see for reference?

thx.
Sorry, I have no idea. How can I determine different thicknesses? I vaguely recall the cages added a few g's during the past year - is that from the added thickness?

To reiterate my situation, the bottle lids were rattling against the frame. By design or not, these cages sit nearly-flush with the frame. The rubber washer lifted the cage off the frame ever so much and solved 95% of the rattling.

EDIT: Suppose the weight and over-sleeves are all related. No, the addition of the over-sleeve didn’t address my rattling. In fact, later cages with the over-sleeve are still flush mounted to the frame.
Last edited by Johnny Rad on Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.