New 2016 Cannonade Evo and CAAD later this year

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
eric01

by eric01

KWalker wrote:I don't see the point in this bike.

There's 10 pages of forum posts that would argue there is a point
AX Lightness Vial Evo, Carl Strong Titanium

tinozee

by tinozee

Yeah the evo fork is way thin, sort of like the focus izalco max fork. I do wonder how they could possibly improve the comfort and performance balance at all.

by Weenie

superdx

by superdx

eric01 wrote:

There's 10 pages of forum posts that would argue there is a point

I kind of get the confusion about their new adventure bike with road geometry but a MTB suspension front, but the Evo and CAAD have been race proven bikes for years. Not sure what there isn't to see. If there was no point in either of those products, it would have died long before 2016.

H0RSE

by H0RSE

Kay Walker of Bay Area, United States is now racing the forum :shock:

Racin..

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

For anyone who wants the 2016 Evo F/F I called Cannondale yesterday and was told probably no F/F sets for the first year... only completes.. not sure why they do that.. anyone generally looking for the "top end" wants to build it their way... there will always be stripped versions on ebay though!

MartinR

by MartinR

What would be your price estimate for the CAAD12 Disc Dura Ace and the Ultegra 3 Disc?

KWalker

by KWalker

Let me clarify.

I've owned 3 Evos. More CAADs. Great bikes. These improvements are minimal at best especially if we slash through the likely testing/marketing hyperbole. If you go back through this thread there were lots of easy improvements and predictions and almost none were made. They took a great platform, re-shaped it slightly, and put a proprietary post on it.

Still has the terrible rear brake cable entry point. Not much in the way of re-shaping except for the fork (so they claim). Proprietary post, but not like the old bike was really harsh. Tiny aero improvements (so they claim).

Lets pit this against basically any new model flagship bike and its a real lack of improvements that justifies a new model. The Emonda, Scultura, F8, new Bianchi whatever-the-f*ck, AR1, TCR, FO2, Madone, Venge, etc were all much bigger improvements over old models. Only the new Tarmac is perhaps less of an improvement.

Therein lies my comment in that I don't get the point of this bike other than perhaps to keep sales up so people aren't still on a 5 year old bike.
Last edited by KWalker on Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Spinnekop

by Spinnekop

KWalker wrote:Let me clarify.

I've owned 3 Evos. More CAADs. Great bikes. These improvements are minimal at best especially if we slash through the likely testing/marketing hyperbole. If you go back through this thread there were lots of easy improvements and predictions and almost none were made. They took a great platform, re-shaped it slightly, and put a proprietary post on it.

Still has the terrible rear brake cable entry point. Not much in the way of re-shaping except for the fork (so they claim). Proprietary post, but not like the old bike was really harsh. Tiny aero improvements (so they claim).

Lets pit this against basically any new model flagship bike and its a real lack of improvements that justifies a new model. The Emonda, FO2, Madone, Venge, etc were all much bigger improvements over old models. Only the new Tarmac is perhaps less of an improvement.

Therein lies my comment in that I don't get the point of this bike other than perhaps to keep sales up so people aren't still on a 5 year old bike.

:thumbup:
Nice post. Fully agree. There was scope to do great things.......they did not.
Missed opportunity in my books.
"In my experience, there is only one motivation, and that is DESIRE.
No reason or principle contain it or stand against it........"

maquisard

by maquisard

Perhaps the effect of Peter Denk leaving...

hull80n

by hull80n

superdx wrote:Nice, that's only about 2 months away. Would love to see a hi-mod Evo disc, especially since UCI gave the green light!

:up: green light :))

rasmussloth

by rasmussloth

I wonder if they made the chainstays longer to fit discs on Evo

boysa

by boysa

Karsten is spot on. For crying out loud, give me a reason to buy a new frameset. This falls way short of what "could have been."
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

I think it really looks good and they even fixed geometry.
Scott Foil
Shimano 9150
Shimano FCR-9100-P
Shimano C60 tubulars

boysa

by boysa

Wait... On top of the fact you're telling me I can't buy a frameset anyway?!? Silly.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

by Weenie

H0RSE

by H0RSE

What are the pussies complaining about. SuperSix Evo was (is) already ahead of its time and other brands realized that and had to make sweeping changes to their models as a result of bringing innovation to their products. That's the reason why you're seeing big changes in other brands.
Take the Evo et al on their own merits. Evo still is very much the perfect bike. Suggest what other real innovations you'd like to see and no brake entry/exit cable ports doesn't count. I never had any issues with it. Over the years I've seen more innovation out of Dale than any other company. Others have been quick to facelessly copy. Dale don't shy away from trying something new, which is bold and the way to go. Perhaps they try too much.

And Emonda is an innovation above Evo Hi-Mod? You must be in cookkoo land. Emonda is an innovation over Trek's previous light bike which was non-existant.

As a race bike the Evo is comfy. Too comfy. Fact is it's carbon (after riding alloy for past 10 years) carbon is already incredibly comfy. Add to that the SAVE innovations makes the Evo incredibly comfy and plush. Pinarello only just got whiff of this (like 5 years late) and have started copying the flattened stays into their designs and are calling it a Pinarello innovation, as if!

Evo is still perfect bike. If you are bored there is also Synapse.