New 2016 Cannonade Evo and CAAD later this year

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

phlip

by phlip

I completely agree with Calnago on this.

Is the fork bearing race visible on the picture of the green fork Mythical posted? Would the race not need to be flat against more surface? I do not think the picture is that bad that is not visible, or is it?

goodboyr

by goodboyr

I did a build of a 2014 evo himod and decided to minimize that gap. Couldn't get the headset preload right, because the head tube bottomed out on the top of the fork. A couple of micro shims solved that, but I ended up with a gap identical to the picture. Bottom line: as others have said, its normal.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

How did you shim it without having the base of the bearing being pushed away from the cone shape of the fork crown, which the bearing is meant to fit against? Seems the shims would have to sit on top of the fork and push the bearing up so that the outer race of the bearing nigh fit against the inside of the headtube ok but the inside race of the bearing would not have a good fit on the fork crown. What you are describing seems more of a defect from manufacturing. It should not be bottoming out. Did you have the right spec bearing? I know some Cannondales have a significantly "taller" lower bearing than standard 7mm or whatever it is. I had to special order an entire headset from Cannondale Experts once just to get a hold of the correct bearing.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

tacostand

by tacostand

5DII wrote:
tacostand wrote:Can anyone tell me what tire clearance is like on the 2015 model supersix high mod? Could it reliably accommodate 25mm tires with wider rims? I went into a shop yesterday to get a look at the 2016 model and ended up test riding a 2015 that's on sale. I've read mixed reports about tire clearance on the 2015 model. Thanks!

https://www.instagram.com/p/_Zi1pIx4dn/ ... alex_howes

Alex Howes says he can fit 28mm tires in there

But that's the 2016 model I think, isn't it? I'm wondering if the older model will accommodate the wider clearance. Thanks!

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

I talked about this in a PM discussion, but I'll state it here anyway, and please note that this is my own personal, definitely OCD level of aesthetic needs here:

I'm quite glad that the issue was brought up by members here, even if some others don't find an issue with it or find it normal (which it probably is). There's another build I'm working on in which an über light headset I sourced, proper style and everything, matches the crown of the fork perfectly in diameter - but does not come down to the crown. Only the race is there, touching the bearings, and while that's all protected while installed the gap between headset cup and crown is ~2mm. I'm so unhappy with this that I decided to design and print my own lower headset cup, 3d print it and have it anodized to match. That would also improve the grit issue that would inevitably occur.

So that said, thanks for bringing this issue up as well as possible solutions. Perhaps there is a shim method, perhaps a shim can be designed so the gap between 'headtube' and 'crown' is .05 mm instead of the... umm... it looks like 2-3mm in the pictures I could find on the internet.

Most people might not care about this stuff. Cannondale, like any mass manufacturer/designer looking at tolerance and production issues while keeping costs relatively low, would not think of it as an issue because the few that do have an issue with it are a statistical minority. With that perspective, it's a little disappointing but at the same time totally expected given the circumstances of production. What needs to happen then is a solution be made available to the minority who do want to use this frame while not having those inherent design flaws.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Calnago wrote:How did you shim it without having the base of the bearing being pushed away from the cone shape of the fork crown, which the bearing is meant to fit against? Seems the shims would have to sit on top of the fork and push the bearing up so that the outer race of the bearing nigh fit against the inside of the headtube ok but the inside race of the bearing would not have a good fit on the fork crown. What you are describing seems more of a defect from manufacturing. It should not be bottoming out. Did you have the right spec bearing? I know some Cannondales have a significantly "taller" lower bearing than standard 7mm or whatever it is. I had to special order an entire headset from Cannondale Experts once just to get a hold of the correct bearing.

Cannondales are notorious for poorly molded headset cups. And yes, there are non standard height campy angle bearings for the headset. My issue was at both top and bottom bearings. A microshim placed on top of the lower bearing (between bearing and molded headtube cup) created the gap I needed without affecting the operation. The shim sits against the inner race. The beveled section still bears against the bevel in the headtube cup and seats ok. It allows you to set the preload. It depends on the individual frame as I said, because of the variability in the molded cups on these frames.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ok, I "think" I understand what you did with the lower bearing. Does not sound good if the shim sits against the inner race since the inner race spins and if the shim is "shimming" that means the side that doesn't sit against the inner race has to be against something solid. Doesn't make sense to me but if you got it working then ok. The one I worked on, the previous mechanic installed a regular bearing (and they're all pretty much 7mm tall, except for that damn Cannondale one which is like 8mm). To make it "work" he had just jammed a shim on the molded fork crown then placed the lower bearing on top of that. Yikes. No wonder the owner thought something wasn't right with the steering. Anyways, once I sourced the proper "tall" bearing, all was good. Unfortunately had to buy the whole Cannondale headset to get it.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

goodboyr

by goodboyr

I understand, and this is the only build I've done that needs this. But it works. Go figure. .

Pottsy

by Pottsy

Built up a new S6 hi mod today.
This is the fork that was in it.
Fork weight was 280g for a 56cm frame

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

goodboyr

by goodboyr

That doesn't look so great for a fork with a molded fork crown.

glepore

by glepore

It may not be quite as bad as it looks in the lower photo given that the "crown race" is at the very top edge of the taper, and the way its molded makes it very asymetrical at the lower edge which gives an appearance that is a little misleading. The bearing sits at an angle in the upper photo but that doesn't account for how it interacts with headtube angle. The gap issue is likely mostly a cosmetic one, and I agree it looks less than optimal. In practice, is it an actual bearing issue? Too early to tell.
Given that I recently acquired an Evo HiMod, I get why the ride quality is so beloved. I don't think this issue is as serious as the well documented dropout alignment issues on the earlier Evo's that were well documented here and in the field.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

goodboyr

by goodboyr

I agree.....other than they have seemed to fix the dropout issue on the newer ones, but they still have sloppy variability on the headset molding. And BTW, they are still great bikes!

prebsy

by prebsy

Jesus that fork is like....cervelo bad

JasperGr

by JasperGr

That is ugly as hell! I wouldn't accept it.

Sent from my type writer

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com