Record or DA?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Rogue_M3
Posts: 240
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:55 pm
Location: St. Louis

by Rogue_M3

I use Campy on my Colnago CT-1 and I'll build my Colnago C-50 with new 2004 Record. I prefer the feel of the hoods and I like the separate up/down shift levers. I also like the more exotic materials and I really don't like the look of the DA brake hoods nor the way the cable comes out from the side.

That being said, my TT bike uses DA 9 speed with bar end shifters. I did this because DA was cheaper and I already had a shimano freehub on my tri-spoke wheelset. Plus I like the way the DA TT chainrings look. Besides, I didn't care about weight since I do mostly flat TTs. I use the bar end shifters but the derailleur system is quick and precise. As far as I can tell there really is no difference in reliablity they both work perfect when set up properly.

User avatar
cadence90
Posts: 1695
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2003 1:52 am

by cadence90

andrew wrote:
My jab at his university was pretty vague... It might have been a putdowna and it was probably gratuitous, but I was trying to demonstrate that his argumentation/comments are often unjustified.

A.

PS: So Campy or Shimano? :)


Andrew, I'm not going to join this fray, but I think you got your priorities all wrong here, when your question (and the point of this forum) is relegated to PS status. Might be better to give up the to-and-fro and ask more focussed questions....
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

Rogue_M3
Posts: 240
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:55 pm
Location: St. Louis

by Rogue_M3

Superlite- I have a REAL M3 which is the E30 model. If you aren't familiar with it, BMW wanted to race in the German Touring car series which meant that they had to produce 5000 cars per year to race in the series. The cars were homogulation specials which means they were thinly disguised race cars with the Formula 1 derived S14 4 cyclinder engine as the powerplant. The E30 M3 went on to become the winningest race car in history with 1800+ victories between 1987 and 1991.

I have a 1991 Diamondshwartz metallic or diamond black coupe. It is one of 382 1991's imported into the US and one of 4,995 E30 M3's to ever to be brought into the country.

I don't have pictures right now but here is a good link where you can see some E30 M3's. http://e30m3therealm3.com/gallery/index.html


Sorry for going waaaay off topic!!!

bobalou
Posts: 1013
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2003 6:05 am

by bobalou

andrew wrote:this is ridiculous, so anyway....I have to give the nod to campy no matter what, and here is a break down why.

SNIP

Thanks again,
Andrew


Hey dude, may I suggest using the Quote button so your posts will be easier to read .. it's that remarkable high-tech button that says "Quote" on it. Click it. Then type. It's .. freekin amazing. :shock:

User avatar
Superlite
Posts: 2492
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2003 9:01 pm

by Superlite

Nice! old school style! e30, thats sweet. you got any mods on that 4 banger?

Rogue_M3
Posts: 240
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:55 pm
Location: St. Louis

by Rogue_M3

Yeah, I replaced the old flapper box AFM with a Split Second MAF and 4" intake which dramatically increased the low end torque and made throttle response almost instantaneous. It wires into the computer and you control the air/fuel mixture with the lap top. It already had a cold air intake from the factory so I used that and a K&N filter. Now she can really breath. Then I put in a Conforti chip which made the timing more agressive and eliminated the governor and raised the redline from 7250 to 7800 rpms. I also added Schrick 284/276 cams which dramatically increased the top end power.

I changed out the 15" stock BBS wheels which were 205 with 17" BBS RGRs with 215 in the front and 235 in the rear. Next I'm going to put new shocks and springs on and lower it about 1/2 inch or so and add some larger sway bars. The cars strong point is it handling which is pretty amazing just in stock form especially when you keep the revs up. You just let it explode out of corners.

I've owned a 1988 Corvette, 1992 Corvette ZR-1 and a Porsche 930 Turbo since graduating from college in 1993. I love each car for various reasons but I think the M3 is the most satisfying to drive on a daily basis because you can really enjoy the car without going stupid fast. Although the 930 was an animal that I really miss! :lol: --- What a freakin' automobile. The Germans really know how to build them.

andrew
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:19 pm

by andrew

Fair enough.... here is a specific question: What do you think about the ergonomics of the hoods and shifting of Campy and Shimano?

cadence90 wrote:
andrew wrote:
My jab at his university was pretty vague... It might have been a putdowna and it was probably gratuitous, but I was trying to demonstrate that his argumentation/comments are often unjustified.

A.

PS: So Campy or Shimano? :)


Andrew, I'm not going to join this fray, but I think you got your priorities all wrong here, when your question (and the point of this forum) is relegated to PS status. Might be better to give up the to-and-fro and ask more focussed questions....

andrew
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:19 pm

by andrew

but it makes more sense to reply statement by statement to someone's post... maybe i shoudl make my responses in bold?


bobalou wrote:
andrew wrote:this is ridiculous, so anyway....I have to give the nod to campy no matter what, and here is a break down why.

SNIP

Thanks again,
Andrew


Hey dude, may I suggest using the Quote button so your posts will be easier to read .. it's that remarkable high-tech button that says "Quote" on it. Click it. Then type. It's .. freekin amazing. :shock:

User avatar
Bruiser
Posts: 1386
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2002 1:59 am
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

by Bruiser

I've never used Campy and have been looking at buying DA. Is the 10speed DA a good shift (I've heard good things so far)?
I live in the drops, is the campy shift natural from the drops?

Brian

User avatar
cadence90
Posts: 1695
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2003 1:52 am

by cadence90

andrew wrote:Fair enough.... here is a specific question: What do you think about the ergonomics of the hoods and shifting of Campy and Shimano?

cadence90 wrote:
andrew wrote:
My jab at his university was pretty vague... It might have been a putdowna and it was probably gratuitous, but I was trying to demonstrate that his argumentation/comments are often unjustified.

A.

PS: So Campy or Shimano? :)


Andrew, I'm not going to join this fray, but I think you got your priorities all wrong here, when your question (and the point of this forum) is relegated to PS status. Might be better to give up the to-and-fro and ask more focussed questions....


I prefer the ergonomics of the Campy hoods/levers. I love the thumb shift, don't have much trouble with it, I guess I'm used to it; but I do like the fact that you do have to go feel for it a bit. I don't like the feel of Shimano hoods, the angle and height. Two details....I love the Campy quick release in the lever, not on the caliper, and more so I like the cleaner hidden routing of the cables up front.
But, you asked about ergonomics, which is exactly that: what fits one may not fit another....I think you said you work in a bike shop: so you certainly must have the opportunity to try both systems out: do it, see what you think.
Ergonomics equal, my instinct is if you buy Shimano you'll always think "should I have bought Campagnolo"; if you buy Campagnolo you'll just be happy.
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

User avatar
cadence90
Posts: 1695
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2003 1:52 am

by cadence90

andrew wrote:but it makes more sense to reply statement by statement to someone's post... maybe i shoudl make my responses in bold?


bobalou wrote:
andrew wrote:this is ridiculous, so anyway....I have to give the nod to campy no matter what, and here is a break down why.

SNIP

Thanks again,
Andrew


Hey dude, may I suggest using the Quote button so your posts will be easier to read .. it's that remarkable high-tech button that says "Quote" on it. Click it. Then type. It's .. freekin amazing. :shock:

Bold is for BOLD STATEMENTS. Instead, try inserting the quote first, then your response: logical chronology is easier on the brain. :)
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

HäddaFahn
Posts: 300
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 4:51 pm

by HäddaFahn

The cranks of DA 10 speed are stiffer than the carbon cranks of the new Campy group. But that actually doesnt matter, cause no driver can bend cranks...the BB and the frame are the weak points here.
The new Campy is very silent..chain and rear deralleur is so smooth, yu dont here a thing. They improved here too. The shifting is of course no problem for both groups.

I personally prefer the campy cause of the look and the shifting. I like the sound of it.

@ bruiser The campy is made for "droppers". Dont use a bar with deep droppings though...actually no one does.

User avatar
Bruiser
Posts: 1386
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2002 1:59 am
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

by Bruiser

Laugh if you wish, but I'm still using 7 speed.
Actually I might get confused with 10 speed, maybe I should shift to 9 :oops:

My bars are round and I'ver never used anatomics bars so I'm not sure how the reach for campy will be.

Has anyone here used DA 10? I've heard the shift is a major improvement on DA 9.

Brian

User avatar
Incomplete Pete
Posts: 97
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 5:56 pm

by Incomplete Pete

I use DA 10 speed and it's fantastic! I've used campy before but didn't like the leavers and the shifting was far too clunky and horrible. The new DA is awesome, the shifting is slick but firm....it's just a very well designed the system. The levers are ideal too, nice and ergonomic and their operation is vert smooth.

Campy is pretty, but personally I don't think it's very functional.

User avatar
Bruiser
Posts: 1386
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2002 1:59 am
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

by Bruiser

I'm looking to build a bike, where is the best place to buy a DA groupo or cheap bike with DA10?

Interesting thread on the age old topic :)

Cheers

Brian

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post