The 25 lightest bikes in the world?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Sprinter
Posts: 1292
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:47 am
Location: Tokyo, Japan and Adelaide, Australia
Contact:

by Sprinter

I've been collecting the urls of light bikes for awhile. Most are from this forum or website, but there's a few surprises too. I know one bike on this list no longer exists (burnt in a fire) - but I included it anyway because it was such an interesting bike (it's the 650c Litespeed).

I wasn't sure of a couple of weights down to .5 of a kilo so I've put the bikes (a Spin and a Scott) about where they should be based on the componentry and what I could find out about the bikes.

Anyway, I'm sure I've missed loads of light bikes, so if you can make it more definitive - especially the top 10 bikes - I'd really like to see what I've missed.

Oh, and I know quite a few mountainbikes/singlespeeds sneak into the top 25 but I'm keeping it road/with gears.

Litespeed http://www.m2racer.com/infopageitems/li ... tBike.html
Canyon http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id= ... t/GF7U9525
Scott http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id= ... as_road028
Agresti http://weightweenies.starbike.com/articles.php?ID=21
Scott http://www.light-bikes.com/bikegallery/ ... asp?id=452
Giant http://weightweenies.starbike.com/articles.php?ID=65
Biber http://photoalbum.powershot.de/bild_ori ... did=237114
Scott http://www.rouesartisanales.com/6-categorie-88517.html
Litespeed http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... php?id=222
Parlee http://www.rouesartisanales.com/article-1790865.html
Dynamic http://weightweenies.starbike.com/articles.php?ID=51
Holland http://www.popularmechanics.com/outdoor ... 77626.html
Scott http://www.light-bikes.com/bikegallery/ ... asp?id=558
Dynamic http://weightweenies.starbike.com/articles.php?ID=22
Spin http://www.german-carbon-group.de/Home/ ... _gross.jpg
Schmolke http://www.light-bikes.com/bikegallery/ ... asp?id=649
Scott http://img237.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 6881vp.jpg
Scott http://www.pk0r.com/Scott/index0001.htm
Quattro Assi http://www.light-bikes.com/bikegallery/ ... .asp?id=25
Litespeed http://weightweenies.starbike.com/articles.php?ID=52
Scott http://www.fairwheelbikes.com/gallery/m ... 110012.JPG
Spin http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... hp?id=5172
Stork http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... bf2006aaf0
Cannondale http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/2001/ph ... aad7.shtml
Giant http://www.rouesartisanales.com/2-categorie-88517.html

User avatar
Boonen
Posts: 2436
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:33 am
Location: Europe

by Boonen

Great work you have done there Sprinter! :shock:
It looks very nice but I think it's impossible to collect the 25 lightest bikes in the world, simply because not everybody with a superlight bike cares to put it up on a website. But ofcourse it's a good list of really nice and light bikes!
I noticed that nr. 25 weighs 6.3 kg. I'd like to think that there are more then 25 bikes in the world below that weight :wink:
I see you know www.light-bikes.com , they have a pretty nice list of really light bikes as well and I think some of them come in to your top 25 that aren't there already.
Take a look here as well: http://www.fairwheelbikes.com/gallery.html
Keep up the good work, I enjoyed browsing through these!
:D

edit: chaned the link so it works
Last edited by Boonen on Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

zakeen
Resident Pro
Posts: 1919
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:13 pm
Location: Australia/Czech-Rep.
Contact:

by zakeen

Thanks heaps for this! Its nice to have a look and see what other people use. Makes it much easier for us.

If I could have anyone of these out of the picture. It would be for sure this yellow thing. It would be the winning machine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Sprinter
Posts: 1292
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:47 am
Location: Tokyo, Japan and Adelaide, Australia
Contact:

by Sprinter

i think that 'yellow thing' is a Lamborghini. An amazing combination of machines.

zakeen
Resident Pro
Posts: 1919
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:13 pm
Location: Australia/Czech-Rep.
Contact:

by zakeen

Sprinter wrote:i think that 'yellow thing' is a Lamborghini. An amazing combination of machines.


Its for sure a Lambo! I'd prefer a Ferrari but who would complain 8)

franco78_fr
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:33 am

by franco78_fr

Sprinter wrote:I've been collecting the urls of light bikes for awhile. Most are from this forum or website, but there's a few surprises too. I know one bike on this list no longer exists (burnt in a fire) - but I included it anyway because it was such an interesting bike (it's the 650c Litespeed).

I wasn't sure of a couple of weights down to .5 of a kilo so I've put the bikes (a Spin and a Scott) about where they should be based on the componentry and what I could find out about the bikes.

Anyway, I'm sure I've missed loads of light bikes, so if you can make it more definitive - especially the top 10 bikes - I'd really like to see what I've missed.

Oh, and I know quite a few mountainbikes/singlespeeds sneak into the top 25 but I'm keeping it road/with gears.

Litespeed http://www.m2racer.com/infopageitems/li ... tBike.html
Canyon http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id= ... t/GF7U9525
Scott http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id= ... as_road028
Agresti http://weightweenies.starbike.com/articles.php?ID=21
Scott http://www.light-bikes.com/bikegallery/ ... asp?id=452
Giant http://weightweenies.starbike.com/articles.php?ID=65
Biber http://photoalbum.powershot.de/bild_ori ... did=237114
Scott http://www.rouesartisanales.com/6-categorie-88517.html
Litespeed http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... php?id=222
Parlee http://www.rouesartisanales.com/article-1790865.html
Dynamic http://weightweenies.starbike.com/articles.php?ID=51
Holland http://www.popularmechanics.com/outdoor ... 77626.html
Scott http://www.light-bikes.com/bikegallery/ ... asp?id=558
Dynamic http://weightweenies.starbike.com/articles.php?ID=22
Spin http://www.german-carbon-group.de/Home/ ... _gross.jpg
Schmolke http://www.light-bikes.com/bikegallery/ ... asp?id=649
Scott http://img237.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 6881vp.jpg
Scott http://www.pk0r.com/Scott/index0001.htm
Quattro Assi http://www.light-bikes.com/bikegallery/ ... .asp?id=25
Litespeed http://weightweenies.starbike.com/articles.php?ID=52
Scott http://www.fairwheelbikes.com/gallery/m ... 110012.JPG
Spin http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... hp?id=5172
Stork http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... bf2006aaf0
Cannondale http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/2001/ph ... aad7.shtml
Giant http://www.rouesartisanales.com/2-categorie-88517.html
[SCOTT]http://www.light-bikes.com/bikegallery/BikeListing.asp?id=749[/url]

TS-Biker
Posts: 352
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:17 am
Location: Belgium
Contact:

by TS-Biker

Boonen wrote:Great work you have done there Sprinter! :shock:
It looks very nice but I think it's impossible to collect the 25 lightest bikes in the world, simply because not everybody with a superlight bike cares to put it up on a website. But ofcourse it's a good list of really nice and light bikes!
I noticed that nr. 25 weighs 6.3 kg. I'd like to think that there are more then 25 bikes in the world below that weight :wink:
I see you know www.light-bikes.com, they have a pretty nice list of really light bikes as well and I think some of them come in to your top 25 that aren't there already.
Take a look here as well: http://www.fairwheelbikes.com/gallery.html
Keep up the good work, I enjoyed browsing through these!
:D


mine :P

Image
It's not what you ride, it's how you ride it !

Sprinter
Posts: 1292
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:47 am
Location: Tokyo, Japan and Adelaide, Australia
Contact:

by Sprinter

TS-Biker what's on that scale?

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru
Posts: 5851
Joined: Tue May 03, 2005 2:20 am
Location: Belgium

by fdegrove

Hi,

Since I suspect TS's building a new bike weighing even 10 lbs less I hope he doesn't mind:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9819&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Ciao, 8)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

User avatar
cyclemanpat
Posts: 1716
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:44 pm
Location: Kentucky, USA

by cyclemanpat

what is a Biber? Very cool looking frame, never have heard of it........any info on it?

User avatar
pk0r
AKA "The Nils"!
Posts: 1070
Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 11:01 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

by pk0r

It is a Häberle.
| http://www.ax-lightness.de |
| pk0r.com | "I respect the work in coloring parts but the result is stupid-monkey in silk clothes is still monkey." |

User avatar
Anton
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:57 pm
Location: Germany - Lake Konstanz
Contact:

by Anton

Sprinter wrote:

I wasn't sure of a couple of weights down to .5 of a kilo so I've put the bikes (a Spin and a Scott) about where they should be based on the componentry and what I could find out about the bikes.


Image

User avatar
Anton
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:57 pm
Location: Germany - Lake Konstanz
Contact:

by Anton

cyclemanpat wrote:what is a Biber? Very cool looking frame, never have heard of it........any info on it?


Biber, my local dealer and mechanic and sparings partner, is the owner of 2/7 [or8-9] of the very rare Häberle frame. the frame is 820g in 57 (top tube) STW ±120

the bike weight as shown is 4,8kg. It is so heavy because of the bar tape :twisted:

User avatar
Timo
Posts: 1382
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:10 am
Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands

by Timo



OT, but is THIS what I see in the background in that Biber pic?

kAb
Posts: 749
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:41 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

by kAb


Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post