Speedplay Zero Aero walkable cleats mini review

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

superdx

by superdx

TheKaiser wrote:I was really looking forward to running some of these new cleats as I am due for a replacement soon, but now...not so much!

Quick question for anyone who has been having problems with the covers falling off despite adhesive: Does the JB weld (or other adhesive) not stick to the cover, or does it not stick to the cleat? In other words, when the covers fall off, which piece still has the glue stuck to it?

I couldn't tell from the pics, and am curious as to where the failure is occurring. JB is pretty good stuff, but I could imagine a more flexible adhesive being better for the cover, as it could flex with it a bit. Also, I wonder if they have some sort of mold release agent reside that could be scrubbed off, or if the cover material is just inherently resistant to adhesion.

I had the same thoughts about the inflexibility of JB weld, it was intended for automative repairs after all. Impact stress and rotational stress are really two different things. It does stick fine, since the aero cover is a rubber and the plate is metal. The left cover with JB weld hasn't totally fallen off yet but the bottom right corner has already come loose and deformed (AGAIN).

I'll try Shoe Goo instead on the covers one more time before totally ditching them. Shoe Goo is relatively stretchy and flexible when cured since they were meant for shoe sole repairs, so maybe that'll work better.

It's a shame, it really is nice to walk around in the aero covers, I no longer have dirty rubber coffee shop covers in my jerseys and I just clip in whenever I'm out of the subway or car.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

scoby13md wrote:
I am considering changing over to Shimano Dura Ace PD-9000's. I have a 59mm Q-factor on my Speedplays. I thought that would be difficult to duplicate with any other product. But, now, the PD-9000's come in a 57mm Q-factor and their tech support told me I can safely add 2 mm of washers to get the same Q-factor. The Japanese are very meticulous about design and their R and D at Shimano is top notch. Your thoughts??

That's exactly the setup I have been using for about a year now with no issues.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Liggero

by Liggero

you don't need two washer to increase the q-factor, just move the cleats to the inside.
Happy Trails !!!

Liggero

by Liggero

scoby13md wrote:More than feeling disappointed with my not so cheap purchase of these 2 sets, I feel really disappointed by the arrogance of the people at Speedplay. And, I feel really embarrassed that I convinced my dealer to carry their products. He told me how difficult they are to deal with and how unresponsive they have been in the past (which is why he dropped them the first time).

I am considering changing over to Shimano Dura Ace PD-9000's. I have a 59mm Q-factor on my Speedplays. I thought that would be difficult to duplicate with any other product. But, now, the PD-9000's come in a 57mm Q-factor and their tech support told me I can safely add 2 mm of washers to get the same Q-factor. The Japanese are very meticulous about design and their R and D at Shimano is top notch. Your thoughts??

my thoughts: shimano are heavier, only one side entry, not two. Cleats wear way sooner than speedplay with keep on kovers. The clip in is really annoying compared to speedplay. Rotating angle can't be set up as well as in speedplay, no titanium axles, higher stack height.

only one thing it's true: the shimano's are cheaper, maybe, if you compare them to the cromoly speedplays, they are not, and still are heavier. But, a shimano pedal can last 100 years, that is true.
Happy Trails !!!

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

When Speedplay first started showing new cleats last year, my impression was that there was the "Aero" model, which was intended primarily for pairing with their single sided Aero pedal, and then in addition to that, they were also going to have a "Walkable" model which had a diamonds and dots pattern in the rubber instead of the dimples. I wonder if that is actually the plan, and if so, if they might execute the walkable one better than the aero one.

This article shows the models I am talking about, although it doesn't clearly distinguish between the light action and regular Zero models. The cleat covers I am talking about are pictured about halfway down, and then again at the bottom of the page:
http://www.bikerumor.com/2014/09/10/ib1 ... -and-more/

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

P.S. I was just looking at the article that I linked to above and it looks like the Aero model cleat has a seam running around the circumference of the material that the Walkable model lacks, almost like it is two pieces. It doesn't look like the ones posted in this thread have that seam though, so I am unsure if they changed the design after Interbike, or if the ones shown might have had a matching dimpled shoe adapter to make them extra aero in certain shoe applications, which is the piece below the seam.

scoby13md

by scoby13md

Well, I was supposed to have my phone conference with the designer at Speedily to go over all the problems I have experienced with my new Aero pedals. And, here's what happened. NOTHING. My "buddy" Yuzo called to say the conference needed to be postponed because the designer is out of town. (Probably meeting with the attorneys or looking for a new job.) Either way, it won't happen until either Thursday or Friday. Stay tuned.

superdx

by superdx

Looking forward to your update!

I've just slabbed on more glue onto the covers until Shoe Goo arrives from Amazon :( I think my left cleat is showing some damage because the cover is literally sliding off and exposing the soft metal parts. It's getting a bit hard to engage and I just lubed the cleat 3 days ago.

scoby13md

by scoby13md

Superdx, that's outrageous. You should not have to do all this just to pedal your bike. It's supposed to be fun.

superdx

by superdx

There's some enjoyment from maintenance, but agreed, trying to stay ahead of these covers falling off is kind of nuts. I have a trip in 3 weeks and am quite worried that the cover is gonna fall off in the middle of nowhere. Thinking of just reinstalling the v2 cleats and be done with it for now.

trex021

by trex021

superdx and scoby13md, do you think that the damage occurred when walking / standing and not riding? By the looks of your pictures I'd be guessing the damage would involve twisting on your weighted foot when walking.

superdx

by superdx

Based on how the bottom of the aero cover keeps coming off, I assume it's because I use my left foot to push off from a red light, and also to unclip. I actually seriously doubt that any kind of adhesive is going to keep this on. Super glue didn't do much tonight, left cover was crooked again. But in comparison, I believe scoby13md uses his right foot to unclip and push off, so maybe it's a design flaw with the left? You would think they're symmetrical but apparently not.

After tonight, I'm giving up on these, going back to v2 cleats until Keepon Kovers arrive. It's getting harder and harder to engage with the cleat exposed and most likely slightly deformed the more I use it.

Wingsprint

by Wingsprint

Hello,

Hopefully my first post on this forum does not create a flame war... and NO I do not work at Speedplay.

So, far my experience with the Speedplay walkable cleats has been the opposite of the problems outlined in this post. After seven rides, my cleats are functioning just fine and the covers have not moved at all. Now a possible twist- I am using Speedplay light action pedals with the gray walkable cleats. Could there be differences in the cleats causing this issue?

superdx

by superdx

That's great to hear, maybe the Light action series has a better construction? I think we're both on Zero.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

scoby13md

by scoby13md

Wingsprint, I am happy to hear you are doing well with your cleats/covers. I recently bought a cell phone cover from Otterbox. It was a blue/green very soft. Called them and got a black. Much more rigid. I think that someimes the composition of seemingly innocuous elements can contribute to the rigidity or flexibility of the item. Realistically, though, people pay a lot of money with an expoectation that the engineers have tested these items under many conditions.

Regarding the issue of walking, the screw-in caps last 15-25 feet at best and then fall off. Perhaps, if they stayed in place, it is concevable that the covers would be less likely to deform. In other words, it is conceivable that it is walking in the cleat cover withoput the cap, as suggested by trex021, the normal twisting of the stride may, indeed, damage the cleat cover and pull it away from the cleat. But, again, this goes back to engineering, doesn't it?