Experience with the Velobuild frame VB-R-077?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MrDeia

by MrDeia

@ardi69gain , what is the saddle height? (framesize 49cm is the same as i would need so it's nice to know how the bike will look when the saddle height is more or less the same :) )

ardi69gain wrote:Update my VB-R-077 now sub 5kg
Sent from my SM-A710F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ardi69gain

by ardi69gain

MrDeia wrote:@ardi69gain , what is the saddle height? (framesize 49cm is the same as i would need so it's nice to know how the bike will look when the saddle height is more or less the same :) )

ardi69gain wrote:Update my VB-R-077 now sub 5kg

Sorry havent measure it yet, will do it for u but please be patient because im out of town for a few days

MrDeia

by MrDeia

Sorry havent measure it yet, will do it for u but please be patient because im out of town for a few days

Thx :thumbup:

MrDeia

by MrDeia

Couldn't wait , ordered the frame today :D

Still curious about your measurements:
- saddle height top of saddle to center BB and
- tip of saddle to middle of stem

ardi69gain

by ardi69gain

Here is my seatpost length, 14 cm.
The other measurement follows the frame size chart...Image

MrDeia

by MrDeia

Thx, but can you measure it from the top of the saddle down to the center of the BB? Like this:

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

Any updates on this bike? Stiff enough for climbing and racing with no wheelrub?

Rubik

by Rubik

Very close to finally getting this. Looking for something lightweight for crits and climbing.

Will probably go with LTK.

Rubik

by Rubik

Rubik wrote:Very close to finally getting this. Looking for something lightweight for crits and climbing.

Will probably go with LTK.

Went ahead and ordered a couple of days ago since my Felt AR seatpost is out of commission at the moment and I need a frame to race in August. I went back and forth on getting an al bike but in the end all the al frames I wanted were double the price of this frame, so...

Hopefully it comes through!

Need a handlebar now. Trying to figure out what to get that's relatively light, stiff, has good reach and is under 100 bucks.

Rubik

by Rubik

My LTK 118 came in. ML/56 frame is 875g and the uncut fork is 331g.

Building it up with Ultegra 11 speed shifters and derailleurs, 10 speed brakes, and a 105 10 speed crank with my C1 powermeter. Have some 58mm Nextie wheels I built up with BHS hubs and CX rays I'll put on. Deda Newton Deep 42cm handlebar (272, 15+ grams heavier than expected) and 120mm 3T arx II for the moment.

Looks good. But it didn't come with bottle cage bolts, so that's slightly annoying. Having to pilfer them from my other bike until I can get some new ones.

So happy to have a BSA bb again. And this has a 170mm headtube, so I may actually be able to slam my stem for the first time ever. Only took like 7 bikes!

hack

by hack

Rubik wrote:My LTK 118 came in. ML/56 frame is 875g and the uncut fork is 331g.

Building it up with Ultegra 11 speed shifters and derailleurs, 10 speed brakes, and a 105 10 speed crank with my C1 powermeter. Have some 58mm Nextie wheels I built up with BHS hubs and CX rays I'll put on. Deda Newton Deep 42cm handlebar (272, 15+ grams heavier than expected) and 120mm 3T arx II for the moment.

Looks good. But it didn't come with bottle cage bolts, so that's slightly annoying. Having to pilfer them from my other bike until I can get some new ones.

So happy to have a BSA bb again. And this has a 170mm headtube, so I may actually be able to slam my stem for the first time ever. Only took like 7 bikes!

What's your take on the Nextie rims? I'm looking to build up a new/replacement set of wheels and like their spec.

Rubik

by Rubik

hack wrote:What's your take on the Nextie rims? I'm looking to build up a new/replacement set of wheels and like their spec.

I like them quite a bit. Have trained and raced on them for about 5 months now. Finish is excellent, weighed in at claimed weights, and built them up to 1530g or so.

Kaboom

by Kaboom

I'm really, REALLY close to pulling the trigger on one of these but the lack of comments on the perceived stiffness of this frame is holding me back... Sure there are a couple of comments on this thread but a bunch of people have bought and built up this frame and only two of them have commented on stiffness. Both positively, though.

I'm currently riding a CAAD9, the other day I borrowed a friend's 2015 Merida Scultura 5000 (so not the highest-end frame by any means, either) for a quick parking lot test and I was blown away by how much stiffer than my Cannondale it felt when standing on the pedals. I was also surprised by how slow the handling felt, but that shouldn't be a problem with the LongTeng.

So is there any more feedback? I know stiffness is not gonna make me any faster, after all I thought my CAAD9 was plenty stiff enough till I tried the Merida, but if I'm gonna get rid of a frame that a I truly love (or at least relegate it to trainer/secondary duty) I'd like its replacement to feel like a true improvement...

gewichtweenie

by gewichtweenie

Kaboom wrote:I'm really, REALLY close to pulling the trigger on one of these but the lack of comments on the perceived stiffness of this frame is holding me back... Sure there are a couple of comments on this thread but a bunch of people have bought and built up this frame and only two of them have commented on stiffness. Both positively, though.

I'm currently riding a CAAD9, the other day I borrowed a friend's 2015 Merida Scultura 5000 (so not the highest-end frame by any means, either) for a quick parking lot test and I was blown away by how much stiffer than my Cannondale it felt when standing on the pedals. I was also surprised by how slow the handling felt, but that shouldn't be a problem with the LongTeng.

So is there any more feedback? I know stiffness is not gonna make me any faster, after all I thought my CAAD9 was plenty stiff enough till I tried the Merida, but if I'm gonna get rid of a frame that a I truly love (or at least relegate it to trainer/secondary duty) I'd like its replacement to feel like a true improvement...

here's one take on it
http://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/ro ... imate-sl-2

i read another one that said about the opposite.

bike engineer damon rinard used to run blind tests across frames and parts, and he was quoted as saying
'some people detect everything
some people detect nothing
and some people detect things that dont exist'

so... i wouldnt put much faith in what people do or dont say about it

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

twostroke

by twostroke

I do own an LTK118 frameset since February 2016. The bike now has more than 10.000km and I finished yesterday the Haute Route Dolomites from Innsbruck to Venice. I've been riding close to S-Works, Cannondale, Canyon, Trek, Sarto just to name a few, and I never had the feeling my frameset was holding me back.
I do also own a Canyon Ultimate CF SLX, Fuji SL 1.1, Reilly 600SL and soon to be on the road a Fuji SL 1.1 with disc brakes.
Honestly they are all good bikes, it's just a matter of personal preference and feeling. If I take the framesets at the extreme ends from a cost perspective (LTK and Reilly) I would buy LTK over and over again.
My advice is to save money and buy a good power meter, a good wheelset (I didn't have good experiences with China on this topic) and if you still have money find a coach which can drive you through a training journey.