Effetto Mariposa Carogna Tubular Gluing Tape

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fifarafa

by fifarafa

Last edited by fifarafa on Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by 11.4

Not out yet as far as I know, but we've gotten flyers and seen it demonstrated. It'll take quite a bit of use to see how well it handles in all respects. For now, it's going to be expensive and that I suspect will really delay its implementation. It does allow different glues for rim and tire which might be useful, though it's not like everyone is screaming for a better rim cement solution. Call back in a year.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kx_1

by kx_1

I have used it already. It sticks very good and when you pull the tyre from the rim, the rim is much more cleaner than with tufo. According to Effetto Mariposa it can handle bigger temperature. Until now no problem at all.
My Builds so far... C50,EPS Erik Zabel, C59 Di2.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

http://www.effettomariposa.eu/en/products/carogna-family/carogna/ wrote:Specific adhesive properties on rim and tubular: the tape has two application-specific sides:

Semi-structural and removable on the rim-side: adhesion is guaranteed by industrial-grade acrylic glue, native to the base tape; this means that when removing the tubular (breaking its bond with the rim), the acrylic glue will stay on the tape, not on the rim. Acrylic has a good adhesion on both aluminum and carbon without any specific surface preparation.

Permanent on the tubular side: there’s a 1 mm-thick layer of a recently-developed permanent glue for underwater applications. This thick glue film will move and spread when the tubular is first inflated, ensuring optimized contact with any tubular base tape geometry. Humidity is obviously not an issue, and this glue adheres well to any kind of base tape material (nylon, cotton, poly-cotton) or external finishing (raw, brushed, or coated by neoprene).
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/effetto-mariposa-carogna-tape-the-end-of-tubular-glue-43879/ wrote:
Effetto Mariposa founder Alberto De Gioannini, wrote:“On the tubular side, the glue is permanent so you won’t be able to remove the glue from the tyre. Part of the glue will stay on it but you can remove it and you will end up with a thin layer of glue. So it’s similar to what you get with mastic but it’s even.”

Does this mean the tire is "one and done", at least without replacing the base tape, i.e., you can mount a tire once, but then the tape is permanently stuck to the tire base tape?

cl9k24la

by cl9k24la

What's wrong with traditional gluing method? :noidea: Just takes practice

Doolop

by Doolop

It takes time and is annoying to clean rims?

ms6073

by ms6073

Doolop wrote:It takes time and is annoying to clean rims?

Not near as annoying as cleaning Tuffo tape residue off carbon rims.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

mambo
in the industry

by mambo

I like Tufo well enough, despite reservations some riders have about it. If this tape works better and there's no residue after tape removal then I'd buy it. The price is a bit steep though...
Owner Cicli Schiavona - hand made, custom Italian carbon frames at prices you won't believe!

www.ciclischiavona.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cicli-Sc ... 8745538716

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Acrylic adhesive tapes are good and clean when relatively new.

Leave them on for a few months of use and try removing them then ...... its a mighty pain ! As bad if not worse than Tufo.

cl9k24la

by cl9k24la

Doolop wrote:It takes time and is annoying to clean rims?

With the right methods and solvents this job is not time consuming at all....

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

HammerTime2 wrote:Does this mean the tire is "one and done", at least without replacing the base tape, i.e., you can mount a tire once, but then the tape is permanently stuck to the tire base tape?

No, after you remove the tire from the rim, the tape + glue is left on the tire. It's the glue that's permanent on the tire, you can pull the tape off, leaving the glue on the tire.

jordan00

by jordan00

can anyone tell me which width is better to use on newer wide section tubular rims, ie. 2015 bora 35?

i feel like the 19mm wouldnt get at all near the edges on the rim..

nrf000

by nrf000

jordan00 wrote:can anyone tell me which width is better to use on newer wide section tubular rims, ie. 2015 bora 35?

i feel like the 19mm wouldnt get at all near the edges on the rim..

Get the wider size... then trim the excess with a box cutter.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/05/ ... ape_371735

hasbeen

by hasbeen

is this stuff available in the US yet?
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com