low profile topcap

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kode54

by kode54

1415chris wrote:Another happy roadie using AB top cup with extralite and carbon steerer.
And what is the difference between extralite like expander and star nut in relation to AB top cup use?

because some use the carbon expander than sits on top of the steerer tube...and the dish of the AB top cap needs the expander to sit below a certain distance otherwise, it won't sit flush.
those top expanders like the ones from Enve are much heavier than the Extralite or J&L titanium copies on eBay anyway...if you weigh them, they are quite a bit heavier.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

mind riot

by mind riot

Maybe the Ultralight Stem Cap with Integrated Spacer from Wolf Tooth might work?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fifarafa

by fifarafa

mind riot - do you know what is the height this cap?

aaric

by aaric

Last edited by aaric on Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mind riot

by mind riot

^ aaric got the link. I cannot post links yet. They make up to 15mm height.

fifarafa

by fifarafa

ok H?

Woolf sent me dimensions - 5,64 mm:)
Attachments
wolf.JPG
Last edited by fifarafa on Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

aaric

by aaric

From memory, H = ~5mm. So the integrated one with a 5mm spacer ends up being pretty much flush with the top of the bottom of the version that includes the 5mm spacer,

kode54

by kode54

aaric wrote:wolf tooth with integrated spacer:

http://www.wolftoothcycling.com/collect ... 5mm-spacer

MCFK makes their top cap with about a 3mm spacer inside their cap. nothing extreme like the wolf tooth ones.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

fifarafa

by fifarafa

kode54

by kode54

fair wheel bikes carry them. Jason has been extremely helpful. they're in the US.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

survivor

by survivor

Absolute Black webpage stated that its topcap is compatible with ENVE compression plug (recommended for carbon steerers). Does anyone know whether it will sit flush with the ENVE compression plug considering it requires a 15mm clearance below the steerer tube top?

kode54

by kode54

I wouldn't use it with the Enve compression plug. You would have to cut the fork steerer too short for the AB topcap to fit.

Check out the CaneCreek eeTopnut where its a complete system and doesn't increase any more steerer height since the compression plug lip is very thin.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

survivor

by survivor

kode54 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:58 pm
I wouldn't use it with the Enve compression plug. You would have to cut the fork steerer too short for the AB topcap to fit.

Check out the CaneCreek eeTopnut where its a complete system and doesn't increase any more steerer height since the compression plug lip is very thin.
Thank you for the recommendation. The concern with the CaneCreek eeTopnut design is that its sharp-cone design could cause some minor fiber damage within the steerer as pointed out in some reviews.

szazbo

by szazbo

I ordered 4 caps from this guy in europe last year. Took a week to recieve them. They are aluminum with 2.5mm spacer built in and weigh 7 grams. Since then I replaced the steel bolt with a ti bolt to save 3 grams. He will custom engrave them for you, but I got plain black ones. Totally satisified. Pretty long thread and if you scan through the various pages you will see some of the possibilities. I found this after searching for a carbon cap. Here are some photos on an ENVE stem and a Moots stem
https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/238654/?offset=975
Attachments
cap.png
cap1.png

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com