Time skylon

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

leej88

by leej88

Wormiez wrote:
mrgray wrote:why are they converting Wormiez? and what were they on?

Not sure why they converted over, but from my understanding each of the Skylon riders have a stable of high-end road bikes and wanted that extra edge in their group rides. Hence they chose the Time Skylon.
- The options we had from our LBS were, Cannondale, Bianchi, Willier, De Rosa, Colagno, etc...

The other two skylons have the aktiv fork and both claim that it has done wonders in terms of comfort for long rides. I went against the Aktiv fork for weight savings . :)

I converted over because I wanted speed, now I have to much speed and will resort to my backup ride for our weekend group rides. :)

My friend moving to the Izon is coming from a Cannondale SuperSix Evo.

Just curious, how does one determine the exact tightness of the Time Quickset headset? The pins that came in the accessory box allows for hand tightening without any control of the torque applied.

I left mine as it is since they say that they're already pre-tightened out of the factory.

Also, the stem comes with threaded inserts so instead of tightening bolts that tread into recesses on the stem, the TIME stem simply requires one to tighten 4 smaller lock nuts.

This is a nice concept but pretty much removes all possibility of mounting a stem faceplate mounted Garmin mount. Has anyone been able to find one that fits the TIME stem?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrgray

by mrgray

i'm super keen to buy a scylon however cost is high and also huge amounts of time as they are made to order as far as i can tell. so as an alternative thinking about an older model. however 4 issues with that:
1. tyre width restrictions (get a sense form online chat that 23 mm is the limit up until some point)
2. flex - i'm heavy at 87 kg and some people have discussed a feeling of the bike being two halves, so cornering at speed, say down a hill, can get a little nerve wracking. i don't need that i can tell you.
3. a nagging feeling that i'll want out at some stage so i can get the scylon of my dreams and that i should know by now get what you actually want and not any compromises when it comes to emotional decisions
4. i have an xr2, a steel bike plus two other frames so why am i buying a new bike in the first place?
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

zappafile123

by zappafile123

mrgray wrote:i'm super keen to buy a scylon however cost is high and also huge amounts of time as they are made to order as far as i can tell. so as an alternative thinking about an older model. however 4 issues with that:
1. tyre width restrictions (get a sense form online chat that 23 mm is the limit up until some point)
2. flex - i'm heavy at 87 kg and some people have discussed a feeling of the bike being two halves, so cornering at speed, say down a hill, can get a little nerve wracking. i don't need that i can tell you.
3. a nagging feeling that i'll want out at some stage so i can get the scylon of my dreams and that i should know by now get what you actually want and not any compromises when it comes to emotional decisions
4. i have an xr2, a steel bike plus two other frames so why am i buying a new bike in the first place?

If you're riding an XR2, I think you'll be disappointed with the preceding model (ZXRS) - its not nearly as responsive and crisp, its not as comfortable or balanced. The handling is a little more planted however. Just bide your time and get exactly what you really want. Anything else and you probably wont be 100% happy cause 'what if' will scratch at the back of your mind.

Reports are unanimous that the Scylon is pretty stiff and responsive, so it'd be moreso on par with your current rig.

OTH the XR4 is pretty awesome ;)
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

mrgray

by mrgray

any difference you think to the xr2?
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg

zappafile123

by zappafile123

mrgray wrote:any difference you think to the xr2?

Well I've only ridden it for like 33km - first baby ride today. Its similar to the XR2, but different. There's more life through the BB - driving along it just feels full of energy as it propels you forward - you get that feeling of lightness through the pedals cause its just *f##k* fast. In other words, its noticeably stiffer. Out of the saddle on a climb isnt quite as nice as the XR2 because its not as springy. Its smoother than the XR2, but counterveil doesnt have as big an impact on the ride as I thought it would. You can still feel plenty of the road beneath you. Overall it has an excellent ride quality. I still dont really know the bike, gimme a coupla thousand kms and I'll provide more detailed feedback
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

leej88

by leej88

i'm super keen to buy a scylon however cost is high and also huge amounts of time as they are made to order as far as i can tell. so as an alternative thinking about an older model. however 4 issues with that:
Buy a Scylon, problem solved!

I'm heavy at 90 kg and a lot of bikes feel disjointed in the sense that the front sort of doesn't follow the back because of lateral flex at the head tube. My Scylon in size M has none of that. If flex is of concern to you like it is to me, then buy a Scylon, problem solved!

Buying a bike more often than not is emotional rather than rational. If the Scylon is what you really want, go for it!

N+1 rule.

:smartass: :D

zappafile123

by zappafile123

+1 Leej88

mrgray

by mrgray

i'm quite sure a scylon is the solution to all my woes. i am currently selling everything i have. colour scheme is the big issue now. i won't get to see it in person before i put the money down so pls indulge me canvassing opinions.

i won't show all of them because some of them look like this

very dated i would have thought.

this one has already been shown but it is again placed here because i think it looks good but might not be something you'd feel like going out in every day. bit lary maybe?

then there is the factory racing scheme which i think i really like. plus i was going to go without the TL seat post and this one pulls that off quite well.

but then we have the one i initially was very taken with. my issue with it now is that if i don't get the stem and the bars and the TL seat post then i end up with a lot less tricolour and alot more black bike. and i am not sure i want a black bike. plus bars and stem add around 1000 AUD to the price and whats the bet i get the wrong length stem.

again the francaise but now you can see the subtle details. question: are they too subtle?

and then finally we have an odd one that instead of writing scylon on the bike like they tend to they have written auber 93. i really like this one. plus it is shown without the matchy stem and looks good. mine wouldn't have the TL seat post though. (edit: turns out this is a racing team - with some major bike fit issues (oh boy that saddle is a tad forward!)

Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg

KCookie

by KCookie

I like the francaise model or the last pic, and without the time stem,bars, akive fork and with a normal post.
Where will you be buying the frame from??
I've also been looking and starbike was the cheapest with the WW discount and no vat, the only problem is being stung with import tax. When I spoke to them about purchasing a front gipfelsturm they said they would make the invoice out for under a $1000 AUD,to help.

Wormiez

by Wormiez

I've seen the francaise model in person, its a beautiful frame. Pictures do not do justice in the subtle details of it with the raw CF finish.

If I were to pickup another Time. I would have chose the francaise colour combo.

Not sure if you chose wheels yet, but the Time CF weave pattern is very similar to Bora wheels, in both colour and contrast.

nafaiutb

by nafaiutb

"but then we have the one i initially was very taken with. my issue with it now is that if i don't get the stem and the bars and the TL seat post then i end up with a lot less tricolour and alot more black bike. and i am not sure i want a black bike. plus bars and stem add around 1000 AUD to the price and whats the bet i get the wrong length stem."

If you buy from a Time dealer they may offer to change the stem after a few weeks if the fit's not right. Mine did.

zappafile123

by zappafile123

If possible, try to get one of the first gen paint schemes - the black and red is stunning. Starbike only have the older Team and Graphite paint schemes. Otherwise doooonnnnt get the white and red! White and red is one of THE worst colour combinations IMO. Of your selections, It'd lean towards the red/silver because its unique looking or the stealth. Anyway, opinion about colour is kinda irrelevant, get what you think looks best!

I'd suggest asking starbike if they can alter the customs form ;)

mrgray

by mrgray

here is the colour scheme zappafile123 likes

i agree re: subjectivity but the other thing is the difference in person and on computer. i really liked my c60 paint (RSWH i think, white with some embellishment) but then when i got it it had this red/dark blue detail on the inside of the chainstay. for some reason i did not like it.

so i appreciate feedback from people who have seen these in person (and thanks for endorsing my favourite Wormiez, the franciase). it looks like contender bikes is the only one offering 1st gen frames zappa. i think not alot of stock with these frames so hard to reach back and get an earlier one.

currently starbike is cheapest but as zappa points out those are the team and graphite colourways and neither is my preference.

i am going to see if they can get others in.

the other outlet of note is Maestro-Uk. mike is a real pleasure to deal with and his prices are very keen.

as for the Aktiv fork i aim to get it. i figure why not give it a shot. i will aim for a 6.8 kg time scylon in francaise with SRM and Aktiv fork. might be a challenge.

i agree re: customs. finding someone with the right bike and the cojones to post a 5k frame uninsured for full value pays off and given the reliability of mail is possibly a risk worth taking in my opinion.

the sad thing is my bike won't ever be as cool as leej88's because he has the TL seatpost and the stem and so gets a bit more of the tri-colour in there.
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg

zappafile123

by zappafile123

Ahhh that black red colour-way is the best!!!

zappafile123

by zappafile123

Though... its over $1000AUD difference for the different colours (~$5200AUD for contender or RAcycles)! There's a White Medium on Bellati Sport for 4k (2017 frames are 5k) and Starbike is ~$4200.

BTW, the translink post might be a good way to go cause they are more comfy apparently.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com