Trek Emonda SLR 10, Thoughts?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MisterNoChain

by MisterNoChain

A friend ordered the Emonda SL 6, it's not the SLR 10 but i wonder how close it will come to the claimed weight. I'll weight it the moment it comes in, maybe tomorrow :)

efeballi

by efeballi

Modena is another anagram of Madone. Just saying, Pinarello/Colnago/Bianchi...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SHUT UP LEGS
2015 Giant Propel Advanced
2015 Cannondale Supersix Evo
2013 KTM Strada mod. (totaled)
2011 Pinarello Dogma 60.1(loaner)
2011 Scott SUB 45(sold)

Politecnico di Milano Ingegneria Meccanica

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mythical

by mythical

“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

cwilli15

by cwilli15

Madone, Domane, Emonda..........

scott_racer

by scott_racer

Nomade will be next - gravel grinder like Spesh Diverge
Start flat out ... then pick the pace up halfway

chris8382

by chris8382

This kind of bike pricing begins to get into some philosophical issues. Should I really spend $15k on a bike (not that I can)? If you had an extra $15k for a bike, couldn't you just afford to spend more time riding to improve your fitness to the point that the 1.5-2kg of saved weight would not really be an issue?

Of course, I am sure that these were the same questions being asked years ago when bikes started getting into what we consider to be normal ($1000s) price range now.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

$12,000-$15,000 is a great deal of money. As bike weights decrease the grams that a bike brings to the table when compared to the rider and equipment become a smaller and smaller factor, so naturally I would question the value in spending the $$$ to lower a bike weight by one to two pounds., but if that's what floats your boat and gets you excited to attack that hill, so be it. I would just suggest looking at the ride as a whole and if the only thing factor that draws you to the bike is the weight then it may not be a good purchase.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

wkwt

by wkwt

chris8382 wrote:This kind of bike pricing begins to get into some philosophical issues. Should I really spend $15k on a bike (not that I can)? If you had an extra $15k for a bike, couldn't you just afford to spend more time riding to improve your fitness to the point that the 1.5-2kg of saved weight would not really be an issue?

Of course, I am sure that these were the same questions being asked years ago when bikes started getting into what we consider to be normal ($1000s) price range now.

No doubt, I say that all the time. That's why I always try to take a #2 before a ride. That is literally a $1000 potty break :).

I would never consider the $15k SLR10 bike, but do think that in the current market, the SLR frameset which includes the lighter seatmast, is a fair deal for what it brings to the table. Especially if you have the ability to get it at a discount and can throw on quality wheels/components that you already have.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

You can build a 10.2 lb bike for less than 15,000 dollars. There's no way I'd pay that much to not have exactly what I want on it.
Speedplay is the devil!

goodboyr

by goodboyr

^This!!!

athletic91

by athletic91

It seems like the second tier emonda sl is similar to the previous madone before the KVF ones, no progress in weight or anything else. Perhaps the emonda is better prepared for internal di2

addict

by addict

the slr10 pricing concept surely incomprehensible for me..
retail: frameset 4200
sram red22 1800
wheels 3827
cockpit, tires 1000 (enough I think)
total: 10827
common situation was so that complete bike always cheaper then components set..
not to mention that partner prices -60% usually normal:)

mambo
in the industry

by mambo

I don't understand the fuss. The price is crazy ridiculous, you can build better for less. The frame is light but it's nothing that can't be done by any good carbon frame builder. As I commented over on RBR,in the absence of any stiffness data it's difficult to tell whether the frame is a technical Tour de Force or just a frame that compromises performance to achieve a particular weight.
Owner Cicli Schiavona - hand made, custom Italian carbon frames at prices you won't believe!

www.ciclischiavona.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cicli-Sc ... 8745538716

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Impressive weight, but that price is wacko. Agree with the folks above that you can build a bike with a similiar weight for much much less.

Interesting to see all the Tune components. They even got the GumGum expander on there. Is this the first big brand production bike with exotic weenie parts? First I've seen.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Anyone noticed geometry? Trek's H2 (endurance) fit on Emonda (15.5cm head tube on 54cm) is in between Madone and Domane. H1 (aggressive) fit is only offered on SLR bikes.
I wonder whether CAAD10 owners will consider to upgrade for only $300 more? http://www.greggscycles.com/product/tre ... 0544-1.htm
$1300 is no brainer for smoother ride, 200 grams lighter and Di2 compatible :D
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com