PF30 squeak squeak squeak...

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
audiojan

by audiojan

I have a SRAM PF30 pressed in my NeilPryde Bura SL and when I sprint or climb (i.e. any time I add a little power…) is squeaks to no end.

My wife's new Parlee has the HSC PF30 which is dead silent… Is there a way to quite down the SRAM, or should I just bit the bullet and pull it out and replace it with another HSC?
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

em3

by em3

Loctite 609 and primer activator....do a search on this forum and you will find several threads outlining solutions to the same issue you mention.
EM3

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

micropox

by micropox

em3 wrote:Loctite 609 and primer activator....do a search on this forum and you will find several threads outlining solutions to the same issue you mention.
EM3

would also like to know if 609 will cure on non-metallic surface. pf cups are made of derlin, and BB shell is carbon

rijndael

by rijndael

micropox wrote:pf cups are made of derlin
Some are aluminum, like the ones that came in my EVO.

mythical

by mythical

audiojan wrote:I have a SRAM PF30 pressed in my NeilPryde Bura SL and when I sprint or climb (i.e. any time I add a little power…) is squeaks to no end.
This product looks to be a definitive remedy your issue: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/96526853/bbinfinite-the-worlds-fastest-bottom-brackets
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

RideWert.com
Wert Cycling on Facebook

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Check that your pedal threads are lubed also......I spent quite a bit of time trying to remedy a squeaky bb only to find that I forgot to lube my pedals.

rmerka

by rmerka

Causidicus wrote:I'm yet to see what the (expensive) primer actually does. It seems to just flash off before you apply the 609. I tend to think a wipe with acetone would be just as effective.

The activator/primer contains micro particles of copper which accelerate the curing of the 609 when it's applied to an inert surface like plastic or carbon fiber.

bmxbandit

by bmxbandit

I can't see any reason why that set up would cause noise as long as the bearings are relatively fresh. I would recommend you get the bike upside down and carefully inspect the underneath of the chainstays at the bb end to look for cracks.

JensW

by JensW

bmxbandit wrote:I can't see any reason why that set up would cause noise as long as the bearings are relatively fresh. I would recommend you get the bike upside down and carefully inspect the underneath of the chainstays at the bb end to look for cracks.

still it happens sometimes whiteout any cracks in the frame

bmxbandit

by bmxbandit

^ Very true, but recent experience would lead me to carry out that check in this particular instance.......

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

audiojan

by audiojan

Thanks all. It's definitely the BB. The threads on the pedals are lubed (always do that when I install them), the skewer is a Mavic Ti skewer that I've been using on other bikes with complete silence. And the bike only creaks when I stand or sprint, no other time, i.e. only at max side load.

The BB did press in extremely easy, so I'm thinking a combination of ever so slightly oversized BB shell and ever so slightly undersized BB cup. I'm going to replace it with an aluminum BB instead. HSC makes a great BB that I installed on my wife's Parlee Z5SLi.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

rijndael

by rijndael

Causidicus wrote:There are so many claims of creaking bottom brackets that turn out to be creaky rear skewers that's it's not funny.

I'm guilty of tearing down a BB, searching for a creak (multiple times), when it was just a Zipp skewer.

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.