"New" sram hydro

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Teletori
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 2:36 pm

by Teletori

"slightly taller profile"

As it was not tall already ;-)

User avatar
btompkins0112
Posts: 2693
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:04 am
Location: Mississippi

by btompkins0112

Hmmm.....taller? I'd have to see it in person, but I think the new Shimano hydro/mechanical levers have the upper hand on this one.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

JensW
Posts: 763
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:41 pm
Location: Uppsala, Sweden

by JensW

have the "old" one, and yes it´s tal, buy you get used to it. but don't se how it could be even taler :D

about the shamans, i personally think they look smaller in pictures, but in url, they are big to

derek
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:29 pm

by derek

That thing is huge.

trilocus
Posts: 216
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:16 pm

by trilocus

i don't like it

hasbeen
Posts: 556
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:17 pm

by hasbeen

derek wrote:That thing is huge.

Thats what she s...oh nevermind
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

tinozee
Posts: 700
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:53 am

by tinozee

So where is the hydro/electric group? Or is that yet another iteration we'll have to wait for? Sram should have waited on all this stuff, I don't trust that brand anymore.

FIJIGabe
Posts: 1400
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:07 pm
Location: The Lone Star State

by FIJIGabe

I don't see what the issue is with them releasing Hydro now, and their electric components later. SRAM suffered a very public black eye by releasing their Hydro offering before it was ready. They have to remedy that for the hundreds (maybe thousands) of consumers who dropped money on the equipment, and haven't had the ability to use it (or had to settle for "inferior" mechanical brakes, while waiting for their new parts to arrive). On the otherhand, SRAM isn't ready to release their electrical group yet. They're testing it (but notice how it's going on a development squad's bikes - if it messes up, who cares, they're just kids racing in an adult's sport), but it doesn't appear ready for prime time.

SRAM's electrical offerings are at least six months off. So the question becomes: do they hold off their Hydro brakes for six months, unnecessarily, and keep the spectre of their very public failure in the press until then, or release it for those who bought MECHANICAL SRAM Red with Hydro brakes, and then offer a Hydro version of their electric group in 6 months, when they're finally ready to take their product to market? I think they're doing the right thing: correct their previous mistake, before offering new components.
Madone 9 https://goo.gl/7UwZpV
Crockett https://goo.gl/f5PdCN
Madone 5 https://goo.gl/cMdyFo

Madone 4, Cobia. I own a lot of Treks.

JensW
Posts: 763
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:41 pm
Location: Uppsala, Sweden

by JensW

some people here talks about the drawback of al 2013 hydro brakes as a fault in the construction, when the biggest problem they had was more of a production problem and lack of quality control.

vdrey
Posts: 159
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:37 am

by vdrey

FIJIGabe wrote:I don't see what the issue is with them releasing Hydro now, and their electric components later. SRAM suffered a very public black eye by releasing their Hydro offering before it was ready. They have to remedy that for the hundreds (maybe thousands) of consumers who dropped money on the equipment, and haven't had the ability to use it (or had to settle for "inferior" mechanical brakes, while waiting for their new parts to arrive). On the otherhand, SRAM isn't ready to release their electrical group yet. They're testing it (but notice how it's going on a development squad's bikes - if it messes up, who cares, they're just kids racing in an adult's sport), but it doesn't appear ready for prime time.

SRAM's electrical offerings are at least six months off. So the question becomes: do they hold off their Hydro brakes for six months, unnecessarily, and keep the spectre of their very public failure in the press until then, or release it for those who bought MECHANICAL SRAM Red with Hydro brakes, and then offer a Hydro version of their electric group in 6 months, when they're finally ready to take their product to market? I think they're doing the right thing: correct their previous mistake, before offering new components.


The electrical system has been spotted on Trek Factory bikes as well.

http://www.roadbikeaction.com/Latest-Ne ... train.html

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

User avatar
ergott
Posts: 2763
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:03 am
Location: Islip, NY
Contact:

by ergott

Image

Not a lot of room there between the tire and battery. What about clearance for cyclocross/fenders/etc?

User avatar
btompkins0112
Posts: 2693
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:04 am
Location: Mississippi

by btompkins0112

I wish I could see that from an overhead angle....I wonder if it is simply an illusion. Surely, by the time it is ready for production there will be significantly less bulk and forethought given to larger tires, etc. I think it is a bit early to pass judgement.

FIJIGabe
Posts: 1400
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:07 pm
Location: The Lone Star State

by FIJIGabe

vdrey wrote:The electrical system has been spotted on Trek Factory bikes as well.

http://www.roadbikeaction.com/Latest-Ne ... train.html

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk


TFR rides Shimano. I think Shimano would be very unhappy to see their sponsored team using a competitor's groupset. Those are Bissell Development Team (formerly Bontrager U23) bikes.
Madone 9 https://goo.gl/7UwZpV
Crockett https://goo.gl/f5PdCN
Madone 5 https://goo.gl/cMdyFo

Madone 4, Cobia. I own a lot of Treks.

deek
Posts: 406
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:32 pm

by deek

ergott wrote:
Not a lot of room there between the tire and battery. What about clearance for cyclocross/fenders/etc?


The first spy shots of the group were from the Illinois State CX champs so I don't think clearance will be an issue.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post