Splicing Shimano SW-R610 Di2 Sprint Shifters

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

2old4this

by 2old4this

I apologize if this has been covered before (I indeed have searched, but may have missed it...)

I really do not like the bulkiness of the shimano's R600 handlebar switch. Just too big...

With the old 7970 DI2, I did splice the sprinter switches. That way I can have a switch on the drop and on the top of the handle bar on each side. Has anybody tried splicing the r610 to do the same on the new etube version? I do not know if splinter switches have circuits in them (similar to the other components) that would mess something up... :noidea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glepore

by glepore

Lots of effort-http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=124788
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

2old4this

by 2old4this

i think we are talking about two different things. i just want to splice two r610s together so that i can place one in the bar and the other one on the drop. did it on 7970. it was a beauty...

i can do the same in the 9000 but i do not want to screw up the entire system.

btw, etube project sw asks if r610 are connected on the system or not. it lets me believe that there may not be any hw circuit on the r610s...

toiyuet

by toiyuet

Is it possiable to add a Alfine S705 Di2 Shifter Switch better than the bad-designed R600?
I can never find a best position of R600 on my K-wing bar.

IMO, the R600 buttons should stay more closer to the handlebar, or
position like this(SW7970) :

aerogurl

by aerogurl

What shift levers do you have?

With 6870 and 9070, there is a 3rd port in the lever for sprint shifters. Shimano says that you need their component but it isn't true.

You can cut a standard e-tube cable in half and splice on the Cateye buttons. However, each lever port controls only one action of the RD. Left shifter sprint button shifts up the cassette, right shifter sprint button shifts down the cassette.

You can splice multiple buttons on the same side as all you need to do is complete the circuit. I wanted two points of shifting on the right (just one on the left). Both the right buttons do the same thing (shift down the cassette).

Last edited by aerogurl on Fri May 16, 2014 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toiyuet

by toiyuet

Great job, aerogurl.

Do you mean we can plug the standard e-tube plug directly into the sprinter port? I just thought they have different plug.

aerogurl

by aerogurl

Correct. Standard e-tube plugs fit in the "sprint shifter port" of 6870 and 9070 shift levers. The "brains" are in the shift lever, the sprinter port simply functions as a remote button.

If you cut a e-tube wire in half, strip the insulation off, plug it into the sprinter port, and short the wires together, you get a RD shift. Which "direction" the RD shifts depends on which lever you plug in to.

Splice on a momentary switch (Cateye buttons work great but there are heaps of options) and you have remote shifting where ever you desire.

I've been considering something like these momentary membrane buttons for a TT cockpit setup but haven't made much of an effort beyond buying the buttons and wiring up a test arrangement. They actuate the shifts just fine, but the "stickers" need a flat surface on which to mount in order to function properly.

2old4this

by 2old4this

I've finally stopped worrying too much and spliced two r610s on each side. Now I have two sprinter shifters (one on the drop and one on top of the handle bar.)
It looks like the r610 buttons are simply click buttons so I've just wasted $160 for a new set of r610s. I should have used simple buttons :-(
Nonetheless, I really like this config better then 610s on the drops and 600 on the handlebar (btw, on a second bike, I have a "caseless" 600 on the handlebar. It is not that bad...)

spgoldman

by spgoldman

figured id post this up here as its relatively close to original topic...anyone know the schematic for the E-tube wires.? i have the remote 2 button tt shifters on my aerobar extensions. the cable isnt long enough and its fixed on the shifter side, wanted to make the cable about 5cm longer.

McAdam

by McAdam

aerogurl wrote:What shift levers do you have?

With 6870 and 9070, there is a 3rd port in the lever for sprint shifters. Shimano says that you need their component but it isn't true.

You can cut a standard e-tube cable in half and splice on the Cateye buttons. However, each lever port controls only one action of the RD. Left shifter sprint button shifts up the cassette, right shifter sprint button shifts down the cassette.

You can splice multiple buttons on the same side as all you need to do is complete the circuit. I wanted two points of shifting on the right (just one on the left). Both the right buttons do the same thing (shift down the cassette).

Sorry for asking a stupid question. But how do you splice a Shimano e-tube cable on a Cateye button? The Shimano cable has two wires in it and the Cateye cable only one (at least as far as I can see).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com