Sram red aero 10 speed derailleur and new 11 speed shifters

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addictR1

by addictR1

well.. i have farsport wheelset.. but that purchased almost 2yrs ago.. so probably the ed hub won't fit 11 speed cassette?

but even then.. the red 10 speed RD is limited to max of 30t or does it support 32t?

Asymptotic

by Asymptotic

@addictR1 correct, 10spd RD will work with 11spd cassette and shifter. Short cage is limited to max 28, have to go to Wifli, i.e. long cage, to use larger cassette. The limit of gears the RD will move to is determined by the amount of index points in the shifter, rather then any part in the RD.

edit - have heard some people have success with using short cage RD with 30-32 cassette by winding B screw and low limit screw to maximise outboard RD movement
Norwood & Adelaide Uni CC

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

addictR1 wrote:holy cow.. i'm rubbing my eyes now to see if i've read it correctly. on my scott addict with 10speed Red groupset.. i just need to change to a Red22 shifter and run a 11speed cassette + chain with my existing 10sp RED RD and i'm good to go as 11speed?

pedantically the FD is changed, but people said it still 'works'

aaric

by aaric

addictR1 wrote:well.. i have farsport wheelset.. but that purchased almost 2yrs ago.. so probably the ed hub won't fit 11 speed cassette?

but even then.. the red 10 speed RD is limited to max of 30t or does it support 32t?

Pretty sure the normal red RD's are limited to 28t, but you can get them to work with more in many cases. You'd need a wifli derailleur to handle the 32 most likely. But you might be able to flip the b-screw around and/or stick a washer under the mounting bolt and get a normal one to work.

Wheelsets: 2 years old, depends which version you bought, and whether its a bit older or newer than 2 years - most hubs were 11s compatible at that point, but people were clearing out old stock in many cases. Pull your cassette off and see if there's a spacer there - Sram cassettes don't need a spacer on 10s, and Shimano 10s would have a single 1mm spacer. There'd be another .85mm spacer if you've got a 11s hub.

I've had good luck with 10s freehubs and a dremel though - it's only .85mm of difference, and many freehubs have shoulders that can be ground down pretty easily. I've done 3, and had no problems with them.

eric

by eric

I have used a 30t cog on my 2012 Red 10sp RD without adjusting anything. I would not blindly adjust the limit screws- you should not need to change the limit screws to shift to a larger cog and if you get it wrong you'll shift the chain off the large cog and into the spokes.

The RD will handle the same large cog with 11sp as it did with 10sp.

Edhub is Bitex, and so is BHS. I think you can fit an 11sp BHS UL190 freehub if yours is not 11sp. See viewtopic.php?f=113&t=128572&p=1100334&view=show#p1100400

addictR1

by addictR1

Sweet! Thanks for the info guys. FS said my Edhub would support 11sd. Might be worthwhile to give it a try. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PinaRene

by PinaRene

Question.

On my sons bike is the 10 speed Red Black edition group with a Quarq Powermeter. A friend of me has some 11 speed Red shifters for him, will that work in the following setup :

* 11- speed chain and cassette
* 11- speed shifters

* 10- speed Black edition front and rear mech. I've read somewhere that the 10 speed derailleur can be used as an 11 speed ( gearwise - because low and high settings can be set as wide as 11 speed. )

Gear cables are running now sideways the stem , so looks much better.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

PinaRene wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:09 am
Question.

On my sons bike is the 10 speed Red Black edition group with a Quarq Powermeter. A friend of me has some 11 speed Red shifters for him, will that work in the following setup :

* 11- speed chain and cassette
* 11- speed shifters

* 10- speed Black edition front and rear mech. I've read somewhere that the 10 speed derailleur can be used as an 11 speed ( gearwise - because low and high settings can be set as wide as 11 speed. )

Gear cables are running now sideways the stem , so looks much better.

Yes :thumbup:

"Exact actuation" rd all have the same cable pull standard. That means that any exact actuation shifters, be it 10 or 11s will work assuming the cassette matches and chain not too wide. This includes all the exact actuation mtb derailleurs and shifters as well.

You can run old 10s mtb rear derailleurs like x5 on 11 speed with road shifters and a giant cassette. Works beautifully.

You can run a road rd 11s on 10s mtb shifters :lol: be it gripshift,thumbshift,tt-shifters, road shifters.

I use an xx derailleur and an 11-36t xx cassette on my road shifters. I just sold an old 10s road rd to a guy running road 11s and it works fine.

The only requirement is that everything is exact actuation and the cassette matches the shifters speed amount, and chain not too wide as in 10 speed systems can use 10/11s chains and 11s systems can use 11s chains.

Beaver

by Beaver

Does anyone have issues running a 10speed front Yaw deraileur with an 11s setup? :noidea:

I compared a 10s Yaw and current 2017+ 11s Yaw derailleur (left) and the outer cage is indeed a bit thinner and it has a completely different shape in the front of the cage.

Edit: Could be production changes only. They both measure exactly 10mm at the narrowest point, where the chain runs and come in at 75g. The new one could be a bit less aerodynamic though. :mrgreen:
Attachments
FD.jpg

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Beaver wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:35 pm
Does anyone have issues running a 10speed front Yaw deraileur with an 11s setup? :noidea:
I compared a 10s Yaw and current 2017+ 11s Yaw derailleur (left) and the outer cage is indeed a bit thinner and it has a completely different shape in the front of the cage.
Edit: Could be production changes only. They both measure exactly 10mm at the narrowest point, where the chain runs and come in at 75g. The new one could be a bit less aerodynamic though. :mrgreen:
I have every conceivable combination of 10 and 11 speed and they all work very well. I cannot discern any difference from mismatched 10/11 speed combinations to fully 10 or fully 11 speed matched groups. This applies to both front and rear shifting. (FD of course must be yaw version.)
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.