milroy wrote:You’d think that with the explosion of smart phones, sourcing an economical, high(ish)-res touch screen wouldn’t be that difficult.
There are many hi-res capacitive touchscreens, but I'm not sure there are many hi-res resistive touchscreens. In this case you want the "older" resistive technology (gloves, dirt, water all make capacitive less than functional)
Besides, I'm not convinced this is needed.. or even desireable.
Why I doubt it's needed:
1. The reading distance is pretty big. As with tv's, pixel density is only important as long as you are close enough to see it.
2. You are not looking at it intensively (like reading a webpage). In general you'd be looking at the road and your environment).
3. The amount of data displayed is well controled and limited. As I can look at any webpage I want with my mobile phone, my screen needs to be capable to display that variety of layouts etc. Garmin on the other hand knows exactly how much data there will be shown, so can determine how far they go.
Why I'm not sure it's desireable:
A higher density displays ask more of the integrated CPU, GPU and ultimately the battery.
No need to go all out on high res retina whatever, I agree. A little better for mapping would be nice but for numbers it's no big deal.
BTW I'm assuming that the 1000 is more of a recreational device than a race computer. In which case mapping is important.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
TimW wrote:Pass...waiting for someone to come up with something smaller and better. Hope my 800 keeps going... A 510 sized unit with the 800/810 capabilities would be fine.
i'm on my 2nd 800. was hoping that the 810 was worth moving up to...but not really. i'm out of warranty and who knows how long the 800 will last. its seen better days.
- Parlee Altum + DA9150 + Enve SES 4.5 carbon hubs
- Parlee ESX + DA9150 + THM SRM PM + Enve SES 6.7 CK hubs
- Independent Fabrication Ti FLW + DA9100 + Enve 3.4 CK hubs
I wonder how it will look on a 10-11 cm stem.
I'll upgrade from my 500 when there is a smaller/lighter version. The only extra feature I would like to have is uploading activities via phone, but not at the expense of the larger (and more expensive) 510.
- Similar Topics
- Last post
- 9 Replies
- 1240 Views
Last post by dim
Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:22 pm
- 47 Replies
- 6592 Views
Last post by MichaelB
Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:47 pm
- 84 Replies
- 17471 Views
Last post by mrlobber
Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:36 am
- 8 Replies
- 651 Views
Last post by buhx2
Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:04 pm
- 11 Replies
- 942 Views
Last post by rlanger
Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:21 am