Fizik Antares options

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
phollingswo

by phollingswo

I had the vs for a while but have since switched to antares R3 kium. The channel in the vs didn't make a huge difference and actually I feel like the non channel version is comfier when riding on the nose. The channel creates two quite hard ridges on the nose.

Went for kium over carbon rails for price, and needing different seat post clamp to accommodate wider rails.

I absolutely love the R3. Can imagine the 00 is even better.

fogman

by fogman

I have the Antares 00 on both of my road bikes and an Antares R3 K:ium on my CX bike.
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

Photosynthesis

by Photosynthesis

I'm trying to decide between the Antares R1, R3, and VS Kium. I test rode the VS Kium and loved it. I'm still curious if I need the center channel. I wish my shop had the R3 or R1 to test ride so I could find out. The saving on weight would be nice, but I don't know if I'm brave enough to purchase either the R1 or R3 without test riding first.

izabala

by izabala

Hi

I come from a Specialized Toupe Pro. Good shape and comfortable at first. Some day it begun to hurt after 1,5 hr. Bought a Antares VS due to the good reviews. Not bad, not good for me. It makes numbness too. Years ago I had an Antares kium, good feeling, so I have just purchased an Antares R3 braided. Briefly tested, I'll see.
What it makes a surprise for me is the great curvature my saddle has, like the Toupe or the Sanmarco Concor. All the pictures I've seen are flat in the top side. Are there many versions from Fizik...? I suppose it's a original one...
Any experience?

eagle34

by eagle34

I have an R1 and I think it's great!

drchull

by drchull

They have expanded and I am not sure what the R1,3 and 5 differences are other than weight. I ride the standard kium on my track bike and the 00 on one of my road bikes. I had the standard braided but did not like it. The shell was not as stiff as the other 2. Definitely the 00 is the stiffest shell and the best for me.

I rode the versus demo (the first version) and if anything was much worse as far as comfort. The padding around the channel was so soft that it was not at all effective at what it was supposed to do and if anything created hot spots. I have ridden wide channels before and currently have an SLR max 143 and rode a SMP for a while. The vs to me was just a poorly conceived and executed idea. Not sure they fixed it with the update or not.

JasperGr

by JasperGr

Drchull you wrote about the stiffnes off the shell but was the shell deformed? I just have a Antares R3 carbon for a month but last week I noticed that the shell is deformed which makes it uncomfortable... The deforming is at 1/3 of the front were I sit.

izabala

by izabala

JasperGr, so I'm not the only one with a Antares (R3 braided) with the shell deformed, or with a certain curvature. Even the leather panels are not totally symmetric, but this can be due to a manual assembly process. The shell should be flat, this is what a Antares is.
I'm riding with it, and it's not uncomfortable, but what if it is? Can be anyway asked to Fizik?

Mine, Froome's and Valverde's.

JasperGr

by JasperGr

Izabala, thanks for the pictures and thats what I mean! I will send the saddle to the shop where I bought it so they can look for a solution. May I ask you to post a bigger picture of your saddle?

drchull

by drchull

No shell wasn't deformed, you can see underneath the shell on the 00 their are some carbon fibre reinforced areas that aren't on the non 00 braided carbon railed one. I actually much preferred the stiffer saddle. This was before the split to R1,3 etc.

izabala

by izabala

JasperGr, better pictures of the saddle.