Cannondale Synapse with Specialized crank!(update 28/4/08)

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
BeeBee30

by BeeBee30

Well, my Synapse frame arrived today, size 53cm and weighs 1079 grams naked, not the lightest carbon frame around, but it sure is sweet.Haven't really decided how to build yet, As I got it cheap I'd planned to use it as a training bike that would be a little more comfortable than my CAAD7's over long distance, but I'm torn as I think it is actually lighter than my Weenie CAAD7? But on the other hand, my Weenie bike hardly ever see's the light of day and I want to use this! Anyhows I've got a set of proper alloy SI cranks to go on rather than the Carbon ones that are usually stock on these frames, and the other parts of a non Weenie build would still come up lightish(Dura Ace 9 gearset,Arionne,Deda Newton bar/stem,Speedplays,Look HSC4,1st generation Kysriums for winter riding,Orion 2's for better weather)Anyway, thought I'd share it with you.

I am looking for a decent quality 31.6 seatpin to fit it,over 300mm with decent layback if anyone has one? :shock: :shock:
Attachments
IMG_1459 (676 x 507).jpg
IMG_1458 (676 x 507).jpg
IMG_1457 (676 x 507).jpg
Last edited by BeeBee30 on Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ti or dye!

The Weenie formally known as CAADHEAD

BeeBee30

by BeeBee30

Thanks mate, but it needs to have layback.
Ti or dye!

peterb_bt

by peterb_bt

I would suggest an AX Daedalus, but AX seem to be having difficulty in making my 31.6 in 350mm. :evil: I was hoping to get it this month....
You can never have too much carbon fibre....!

ElDuderino

by ElDuderino

Ahh, yeahh. Sweet frame, maybe the lightest dale to date? Geometry is different from the caad frames, looks like. Definitely post a photo of the build with the alu-Si cranks. Never seen a synapse with those. And weight aside, I think the carbon-Si cranks are hideous.

pk0r
AKA "The Nils"!

by pk0r

peterb_bt wrote:but AX seem to be having difficulty in making my 31.6 in 350mm. :evil:

In fact AX doesn't offer the Daedalus in L3 (which is 350mm).
It is currently being discussed with Axel if they will build one (post) as custom version on special order.
| http://www.ax-lightness.de |
| pk0r.com | "I respect the work in coloring parts but the result is stupid-monkey in silk clothes is still monkey." |

peterb_bt

by peterb_bt

pk0r wrote:
peterb_bt wrote:but AX seem to be having difficulty in making my 31.6 in 350mm. :evil:

In fact AX doesn't offer the Daedalus in L3 (which is 350mm).
It is currently being discussed with Axel if they will build one (post) as custom version on special order.

Funnily enough that is my order (hopefully) :shock:
You can never have too much carbon fibre....!

synblack

by synblack

ElDuderino wrote:Ahh, yeahh. Sweet frame, maybe the lightest dale to date? Geometry is different from the caad frames, looks like. Definitely post a photo of the build with the alu-Si cranks. Never seen a synapse with those. And weight aside, I think the carbon-Si cranks are hideous.

hideous? really? i guess beauty is in the eye.

Ripley451

by Ripley451

The weave of the cranks matches the frame nicely though.
Vorsprung Durch Tortë http://www.costablancacycling.com/

BeeBee30

by BeeBee30

I've got the carbon cranks on my winter bike, I wouldnt say they were hideous, but they are disappointingly heavy compared to the alloy SI cranks. Synblack, is that your Synapse in the picture?any feedback from riding you'd like to share?is it a stock build?
Ti or dye!

synblack

by synblack

CAADHEAD wrote:I've got the carbon cranks on my winter bike, I wouldnt say they were hideous, but they are disappointingly heavy compared to the alloy SI cranks. Synblack, is that your Synapse in the picture?any feedback from riding you'd like to share?is it a stock build?

yes, it's mine. it's a carbon 2, 58cm (ultegra/see connondale for exact specs). i bought it last october & have about 1,500 miles on it so far. i went from a cannondale multisport 2000 which beat me to death on longer rides to a comfortable smooth ride on the synapse. its plenty sporty even though it isnt considered a racer. feels stiff on the sprint, carves corners well, climbs well, and decends without issues. your going to love it.

while its not exactly a weight weenie, it's pretty light. i changed the handle bars to fsa k-wings for comfort, the tires from conti to michelin pro2 race, king TI bottle cages, a cateye mity 8 with an ITM carbon mount, & speedplay x2 pedals. i weighed it at the bike shop with those changes & it came in at 17lbs 6oz. theres plenty of room to go lighter if i so desire.

recently i switched out the wheelset (ksyrium elites) for zipp 404 clinchers and replaced the mavic skewers for salsa ti. i dropped a few grams there but im still waiting on a bike scale i ordered to see exactly what difference that made.

anyway, heres a pic as it sits now.

ElDuderino

by ElDuderino

Synblack, I stand corrected. They're pretty cranks, but it's just a bummer when something is improved aesthetically, while taking a hit in performance. That's what's hideous (though that's a strong adjective, i realize...) to me. I was stoked when I heard they were making a Si carbon crank, but like most, was disappointed with the weight. Caadhead...what is the weight difference between the alu and carbon models?

HakanC

by HakanC

Here is a Tour test of the Cannondale Synapse from issue 9 2005

Here is a description of how the tests are done:
http://www.tour-magazin.de/to/show.php3 ... &subnav=21
If you have problems with the German, please look at the pics or try the babelfish:
http://babelfish.altavista.digital.com/babelfish/tr

BeeBee30

by BeeBee30

Elduderino, I can't remember the exact weight difference,but I think its around 100 grams, shocking when carbon is considered so much lighter. I 'd love Cannondale to develop their own in house carbon SI cranks,surely they'd be lighter? Thanks for the insight into your Synapse synblack, thats a sweet looking machine, I cant wait to get mine built up, I'm really lookong forward to taking it away to training camp in Majorca at the begining of March, I'm hoping its extra comfort will help me through the experience as I'm not very fit at the moment!
Ti or dye!

onyourleft

by onyourleft

CAADHEAD wrote:Elduderino, I can't remember the exact weight difference,but I think its around 100 grams, shocking when carbon is considered so much lighter. I 'd love Cannondale to develop their own in house carbon SI cranks,surely they'd be lighter?

I'm thinking that C'dale specced the cranks that way, hoping not to be "too light" so as not to have reliability problems. It wouldn't do to get a bad rep on a new component - like a crankset being easily broken. Better to deal with a little weight than the unsavory options...for now anyway.

BTW - For me, the SI's are aesthetically OK. Much easier on the eyes than the friggin' ugly DA 10's, I must say.

Just one man's opinion...