Stolichnaya wrote:I like Extralite stuff, it is beautifull machined, but I had to drill one of those expanders out after the threads siezed. It was a PITA.
Went with the MCFK and Carbon Ti versions. Both holding well. MCFK is very nicely made and a solid design.
I would not use these lightweight plugs to set the headset though. Use your standard compression plug to set, tighten everything up, remove the standard plug, insert the lighteright expander (and lightweight top cap, I assume) and then tighten everything up again, checking the torque on the stem bolts a second time is not a bad idea.
So you didn't use grease on the threads of your extralite expander and it seized
Sounds like a serious case of user error...
1. Gum gums are not as good as the extralites that's a WW fact.
2. Extralite expanders work.. Well and well enough to get your headset set properly also a WW fact. I reckon at least 70% of bikes on WW under the 6kg mark have extralite expanders maybe more
3. Carbon paste should always be used as should Ti prep or good quality grease.
4. I haven't heard of extralite expanders damaging steerers if used properly
5. They are still the lightest set up and if prepped right there is no need to first set the headset with a 'heavy expander first'
These points are of course IMO but if you do the research you'll see I'm telling the truth