ee cycleworks brakes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Personally, I think EE brakes and most direct mount brakes that I've seen are just ugly prototype looking grit and grime collectors and look to be a pain in the ass to keep clean. But I've heard nothing but really good things about dealing with Craig at EE and that counts for a lot. What interested me from this article is the statement that new Shimano levers have a much greater cable pull than the old ones, or other levers. On my Trek I run a full Campy group with the lone exception of a set of 5800 brake calipers, which give much better clearance for running 25mm tires and full fenders all the way through the calipers. I find that the campy levers work just fine with these brakes (I'm running standard width Nemesis rims). Not really on topic, just an observation about the cable pull.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

scotty

by scotty

I am coming from a set of Ciamillo Gravitas brakes which were very light but not great performance wise so I'm a bit reluctant to go for another set of boutique brakes (for want of a better word) without good research.

corky

by corky

scotty wrote:I am coming from a set of Ciamillo Gravitas brakes which were very light but not great performance wise so I'm a bit reluctant to go for another set of boutique brakes (for want of a better word) without good research.

Very understandable......

If you can get past the looks(and some can't) there are so many other attributes about them that make put them at the top of the caliper tree. I can't compare them to Ciamillo as I have no experience.....

WannabeWeenie

by WannabeWeenie

corky wrote:If you can get past the looks(and some can't) there are so many other attributes about them that make put them at the top of the caliper tree.

Funny you should say that because the way eebrakes look is one of the things that appealed to me. They have that no-nonsense everything-is-on-here-for-a-reason air about them.

RyanH

by RyanH

I've had the Gravitas Sl... They were the worst brakes I've ever used. For me, there are only two race worthy sub 200g brakes: the ee's and the Fibulas. My only knock against the Fibulas is that they're a bitch to keep centered and require a spanner to center.

For those that complain about cleaning the ee brakes, just use a bristle brush. Takes only a few minutes to clean them. Nothing compared to trying to clean certain car rims.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

tonytourist

by tonytourist

Agreed on the Ciamillos, Ryan. The "improved" Micro GSL isn't in the same league as the EEs for power or modulation.

Bogan

by Bogan

A bristle brush is all I use to clean my ee's as well.
MAMIL? Never. O.F.I.L. yeh! (Old F**ker in Lycra)

NTMAD8R22

by NTMAD8R22

A bristle brush at 5 minutes is all mine have ever needed. They are one of my favorite cycling related products that I've ever purchased. I doubt I'll be riding any other brakes in the immediate future. I personally don't mind the looks at all.

kode54

by kode54

NTMAD8R22 wrote:A bristle brush at 5 minutes is all mine have ever needed. They are one of my favorite cycling related products that I've ever purchased. I doubt I'll be riding any other brakes in the immediate future. I personally don't mind the looks at all.

same here. i have EE's on all my bikes. and yes, Craig is one of the nicest guys to deal with out there. very accommodating. plus, he knows every aspect of his business....even answers his own phone and gets back to you. i have nothing but praise for the guy running a bike business.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

Interesting news dropped by Fairwheel

http://blog.fairwheelbikes.com/2016/08/ ... ane-creek/

sanrensho

by sanrensho

Hopefully that will bring prices down.

scotty

by scotty

Hi,
Can anyone tell me if the newer cable adjuster will work with the older EE Brakes models.

I managed to jam the rear adjuster in the barrel, so I can't do anything with it.

Thanks

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Yeah the new butterfly adjusters are backwards compatible

964Cup

by 964Cup

Has anyone else had the return spring eject from their caliper? My front spring popped off (and vanished) on a ride, which isn't dangerous, as the brake still stops you, but is tedious since you have to manually open the brake after using it each time. The replacement springs that came from the UK supplier were either for a different model of eebrake, or not finished, as I had to cut one of the arms down and file it before it would fit. It works fine, but I now carry a spare spring with me.

scotty

by scotty

sugarkane wrote:Yeah the new butterfly adjusters are backwards compatible

Thanks for that...

Just went to the Cane Creek website to find that they don't deliver to Europe!!

Does anyone know where else to get a pair of adjusters?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com