Help me to make a pedal choice

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Roel W

by Roel W

I'm looking for a pedal system to replace my 14 year old Campagnolo Pro-Fit pedals.
They still spin well but when mud or a small piece of stone is in my cleat (like today when I had to walk a part because of road works), they block. I can't clipout anymore without applying major force which makes me feel unsafe about this pedals.

I'm between the Look Keo Max at 74€ and Shimano Ultegra 6800 SPD-SL at 96€.
Shimano cleats are easier to walk on, the cleats last longer and the bearings are better compared to the Looks.
But I like the look of the Looks and my 2 bikes are fully Campagnolo equiped and it feels like blasphemy to me to put Shimano pedals on it.

And no, I'm not interested in Speedplay (too expensive, bad bearings) or Time (too much negative reviews and Time changes it pedal system too much in my opinion).
CANYON Ultimate AL 2010
CANYON Ultimate CF SL 2014
CANYON Ultimate CF SL disc 2018
Instagram @roeleur

by Weenie

RussellS

by RussellS

Roel W wrote:I'm looking for a pedal system to replace my 14 year old Campagnolo Pro-Fit pedals.

I'm between the Look Keo Max at 74€ and Shimano Ultegra 6800 SPD-SL at 96€.
fully Campagnolo equiped and it feels like blasphemy to me to put Shimano pedals on it.

I use the Shimano SPD-SL pedals on some of my road bikes. Regular SPD on the others. Sort of a racing pedal/shoe and walking pedal/shoe split. The shoes and off bike activity sort of decide which bike I am going to ride. I've ridden the SPD-SL pedals many miles in all sorts of conditions. No complaints. If you are looking for a racing pedal, these work. I have four Campagnolo equipped bikes. Three of them use the SPD-SL pedals. One uses the SPD pedal. It does not bother me to use Shimano pedals on a Campagnolo bike.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Paolo Bettini didn't feel bad about using Shimano spd-sl pedals on his Campy equipped bikes when he was racing. Neither should you.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I started out with the Speedplay X series which I rather liked but the one big drawback IMO was the wear rate on their cleats wire clip that is retained within. I decided to go with the Zero as it had a flat circlip style clip which I found to last quite a bit longer compared to the X series. I normally replace the Zero cleats every couple years which helps prolong the wear on the pedal body itself. I have had these pedals for over five years with Ti spindle and am only replacing them now. My wife uses one set and I have the other. The Ti spindle on my set is worn enough to require replacement and the bodies on both have enough wear that you cannot read the R or the L that is stamped on them. I am sufficiently happy with the wear rates and I purchased the new ones onsale. :D
The Coombes pedal looks very interesting though but I couldnt find enough reviews on them. I see were Speedplay has done a slight copy on them. Hopefully this style of pedal does become more popular and more shoe companies take up the four bolt patterns needed.
"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving"-Albert Einstein
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2012 Time RXRS Ulteam Rim Brake
2008 Time VXR Rim Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake