2006 pro equipment - road

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
delsol

by delsol

Ceramica Flaminia team bike

LJ
WWotY 2006 / Smart convert

by LJ

Dont know if this counts as an addition to the gallery, but pictured is Amy Hunts new bike for 2006. She will be riding for the Safi - Pasta Zara Manhattan team and her story is here.

Attachments
Hunt 001.jpg

by Weenie

bianchista

by bianchista

yourdaguy wrote:Bare aluminum corrodes almost immediately with contact to ordinary air. The product of that corrosion is very hard. I think it has the same hardness as a ruby. It is also very thin (I think like 4 atoms thick) so it is easily scratched or penetrated by repeated exposure to salts, etc. Annodizing is a method of making this corrosion deeper and harder so that it is harder to penetrate and get to the aluminum below. Ball burnishing aluminum would be somewhere between bare aluminum and annodizing as far as protection goes. The main problem with ball burnishing is that is can't be done in all the little spots such as where the cable guides stick out of the frame tubes. I would suspect that if you ride the CAAD7 very much and sweat on it that over time you will develope corrosion at the cable stops and places like that. One way to mostly solve this problem would be to coat just those areas that the balls can't touch with a clear coat of some kind. It would hardly be noticable and would prevent most things from getting to the aluminum below.

I have spoken with Bianchi, and they have chosen not to offer this frameset option to the public for this reason; they must be providing new replacement framesets to Danilo for every race! Anyhow, if they did offer the option of another 'Danilo replica', the paintjob is covered under their 3 year warranty...

Does anyone know of what Cannondale's warranty is on such paintjob finish? Or how they combat the corrosion?
ImageImage

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

Cannondale uses a clear coating the same as paint with no pigment. The coating is basically the same as paint from a warranty point of view and has similar properties as far as protection, etc. The pigment in paint is basically for the color. The rest of the paint does the protecting.

The deal with clear coating or annodizing a frame is that if there are any flaws in the frame to start out with you can't cover them up with paint. A clear coated or anodized frame has to have zero flaws to start out with. If you are Cannondale you offer colored and clear and you paint the frames with flaws and clear coat the perfect ones. This is why Santana charges $400 to annodize a frame. Not because it costs more, but lots of tandems are custom so if they make a custom frame and it is supposed to be annodized and it has flaws, they have to scrap it.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

divve

by divve

Does anyone know of what Cannondale's warranty is on such paintjob finish? Or how they combat the corrosion?

I don't think they have a problem with it. My ball burnished one is 3 years old and I use it as an all weather bike. I don't clean it much and there's no corrosion anywhere. The aluminum oxide formed on exposed parts will protect it very well. I think only in a salt air/water environment you'd have to resort to better protection.

...maybe they don't want to sell it to the public because their welding looks so terrible. Without paint there's no hiding at all.

jozuph

by jozuph

Got this one, Meirhaeghe and the new Landbouwkrediet-colnago, the paint scheme looks better then the rabobank cristallo's.
Attachments
meirhaeghe.jpg

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

jozuph wrote:Got this one, Meirhaeghe and the new Landbouwkrediet-colnago, the paint scheme looks better then the rabobank cristallo's.

Definitely the stem position (without spacers) can change the bike style...

tommy

by tommy

delsol wrote:Image
Ceramica Flaminia team bike

Now that's one UGLY bike :laughat:

C a s r a n
WW of the Year 2005

by C a s r a n

tommy wrote:Now that's one UGLY bike :laughat:

Have you seen what CSC's Lars Michaelsen is training on? :D

tommy

by tommy

:frightened: :D :shock: :shock: :laughat:

You have got to be kidding me!!!!! A pro rider training on such a hidious thing (i can't possibly call that a bike!) I can't believe it!!!

Knut

by Knut

He would probably rather stay dry and comfy on wet roads than conform to the fashion police. :wink:

Edit: Picture from Speedplay's webpage BTW.
Last edited by Knut on Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jozuph

by jozuph

C a s r a n wrote:

I heard his mother also uses it with a removable luggage-carrier when she goes shopping..

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

Is it REALLY a Cervelo, or his old hack bike painted up? I think it commands respect that he rides a hack and find it encouraging. Part of me really like the 'winter beasts' that people use at this time of year. There are some really interesting bastardised steeds around.

TunedCannondaleR700

by TunedCannondaleR700

why would Danilo DiLuca need a new frame for EVERY race???
Cannondale is quite simply the best

by Weenie

jerk
in the industry

by jerk

jozuph wrote:
C a s r a n wrote:

I heard his mother also uses it with a removable luggage-carrier when she goes shopping..

hey don't make fun!
that's an older super prodigy that cervelo made for the boys a few years back. they were raced at roubaix. they're made out of ultra-foco and have longish chainstays, plenty of mud clearance and are totally nickel plated. they're actually really cool, really light steel bikes. it's nice to see one still getting some use.

jerk
the jerk is always right!
the jerk thinks your stem is too short!