2006 pro equipment - road

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Post Reply
User avatar
kman
Posts: 1125
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:51 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

by kman

now THAT is a good looking bike!
.
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
-- Frank Zappa

by Weenie


curlymcbird
Posts: 185
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:15 am
Location: Locating.......25%

by curlymcbird

richardtoddywoddy wrote:
LJ wrote:Tenax...

Image


I'll have one of these please. Size 57cm (do they do that?) Many thanks :D


Make that 2.... Please :D except a 55-56



I wish..... :D
i dont need some witty signature

User avatar
TunedCannondaleR700
Posts: 341
Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 10:37 am
Location: California

by TunedCannondaleR700

That would be one to many pinarellos for you LJ :lol:
Cannondale is quite simply the best

User avatar
LJ
WWotY 2006 / Smart convert
Posts: 3217
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:16 pm
Contact:

by LJ

TunedCannondaleR700 wrote:That would be one to many pinarellos for you LJ :lol:


I know the orange is an acquired taste, but green? :shock:

User avatar
bike_add1ct
Posts: 413
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:29 pm
Location: The Lowlands

by bike_add1ct

The white/green colour scheme reminds me of some design computer or something... not bikes. Though I love Opera & Pina, this one doesn't quite do it for me.

User avatar
Warblade
Posts: 1715
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:20 am
Location: Seattle, Wa
Contact:

by Warblade

That green colour reminds me of the Liqui-Gas team. Sweet bike though! I got to see Illes-Balears up close and personal when I was at the 2005 Tour de France.
www.ChrisDiRe.com

Adam Hansen wrote:Sponsors should not have to go, its the doped riders that should be shot instead, in the knee caps would be nice.

homegrown
Posts: 206
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2003 2:57 am
Contact:

by homegrown

anyone know if that unpainted bianchi is available to the public?

User avatar
bianchista
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:19 am
Contact:

by bianchista

homegrown wrote:anyone know if that unpainted bianchi is available to the public?

Not at present, no. Bianchi are still producing the 2005 Liquigas Protour coloured FG Lite Aluminium & 928 Carbon L...

If you are in America, which I presume you are (AOL email address), there is a practical impossibility of getting this particular limited edition frameset.
ImageImage

User avatar
Tsielio
Posts: 380
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:15 pm

by Tsielio

smart guys @ trek
they let hincapie ride his normal bike - comfortable enough + stiff
after the race they put a bit of mud on a softtail roadbike and give it to hincapie to ride to the podium (no number on his bike)
this was during the race:
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/images/g ... 03_jpg.htm
no softtail at all...
i saw better pictures in the australian ride magazine
but this was the first one i found on the internet

User avatar
yourdaguy
Posts: 2206
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:25 am
Location: Southern Indiana USA
Contact:

by yourdaguy

Good catch Tseilio..

The unpainted Bianchi would be possible by taking a painted Bianchi and sand blasting the paint off. If you plan to ride it much and sweat on it you will need to annodize the entire frame to prevent corrosion. When you are done, the frame is usually around 100 grams lighter.

This would obviously be a huge amount of work and it would be way easier to get a frame from the manufacturer that had not been painted yet. Our tandem frame is annodized and it is more resistant to scratches than paint. Being a tandem Santana claims that it saves over 200 grams compaired to paint. Santana is the only manufacturer I am aware of that offers a frame from the manufacturer annodized. I can post a picture if anyone wants one.

I have never seen a bike annodized in colors like they do with small parts, but I don't see why they couldn't annodize an entire frame with a tint. I think the main issue would be cost to have annodizing set up to do parts the size of a frame and also to have different vats for different colors. If a manufacturer was to set up to annodize frames they would probably only offer one color due to cost (Santana only offers clear annodizing), but I think a red annodized Bianchi frame would be the bomb!
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

User avatar
divve
Posts: 4123
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:36 pm
Contact:

by divve

Tsielio wrote:smart guys @ trek
they let hincapie ride his normal bike - comfortable enough + stiff
after the race they put a bit of mud on a softtail roadbike and give it to hincapie to ride to the podium (no number on his bike)
this was during the race:
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/images/g ... 03_jpg.htm
no softtail at all...
i saw better pictures in the australian ride magazine
but this was the first one i found on the internet


Last year during P-R I swore I saw no damper and the commentary confirmed, but I couldn't find any pictures to prove it in a discussion here.
Last edited by divve on Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
divve
Posts: 4123
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:36 pm
Contact:

by divve

yourdaguy wrote:The unpainted Bianchi would be possible by taking a painted Bianchi and sand blasting the paint off. If you plan to ride it much and sweat on it you will need to annodize the entire frame to prevent corrosion.


I think it may be possible to ball burnish it as well. I have a unpainted CAAD7 with that treatment and it doesn't appear to corrode either.

User avatar
turbo pepper
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:05 am
Location: Toulouse

by turbo pepper

On the Hincapie/Trek bike subject, a quote from George (from here)

“I don’t notice it on the road but it glides on the cobbles”

No wonder he didn't notice it:

Image

NS
Posts: 2550
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2003 7:27 pm
Location: Manchester, UK

by NS

yourdaguy wrote:Good catch Tseilio..


I have never seen a bike annodized in colors like they do with small parts, but I don't see why they couldn't annodize an entire frame with a tint. I think the main issue would be cost to have annodizing set up to do parts the size of a frame and also to have different vats for different colors. If a manufacturer was to set up to annodize frames they would probably only offer one color due to cost (Santana only offers clear annodizing), but I think a red annodized Bianchi frame would be the bomb!


Principia used to do this in various colours.

Perhaps explains why they were less than profitable.

User avatar
yourdaguy
Posts: 2206
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:25 am
Location: Southern Indiana USA
Contact:

by yourdaguy

Bare aluminum corrodes almost immediately with contact to ordinary air. The product of that corrosion is very hard. I think it has the same hardness as a ruby. It is also very thin (I think like 4 atoms thick) so it is easily scratched or penetrated by repeated exposure to salts, etc. Annodizing is a method of making this corrosion deeper and harder so that it is harder to penetrate and get to the aluminum below. Ball burnishing aluminum would be somewhere between bare aluminum and annodizing as far as protection goes. The main problem with ball burnishing is that is can't be done in all the little spots such as where the cable guides stick out of the frame tubes. I would suspect that if you ride the CAAD7 very much and sweat on it that over time you will develope corrosion at the cable stops and places like that. One way to mostly solve this problem would be to coat just those areas that the balls can't touch with a clear coat of some kind. It would hardly be noticable and would prevent most things from getting to the aluminum below.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

by Weenie


Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post