2006 pro equipment - road

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
User avatar
C a s r a n
WW of the Year 2005
Posts: 3237
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:54 am
Location: Flanders, Belgium
Contact:

by C a s r a n

I agree with philischen about the T-Mobile paint scheme. This time it's very nice!


carlos wrote:
the Repeater wrote:I really cannot believe the Disco/Trek Roubaix bikes.

Aren't soft-tail MTB's widely regarded as the worst of both worlds? Lack of stiffness and response, no true suspension.

Maybe if they could get away from Shimano seatposts and actually use a carbon post, or maybe just use a bigger tire. That frame seems like a HUGE compromise, and I really wouldn't be into riding it, for any reason. I'm not the one getting paid to ride it, however.


Seems like a really, really ugly year for pro-bikes, short of the Times, as always.


ugly yes (like most trek´s) but do you really think that a rider like hincapie would ride a bike that performs as badly as you claim? i dont think so...



Can't be that bad. Hincapie rode 2nd in last years Paris-Roubaix on the very same frameset!
Image

RTW
in the industry
Posts: 3562
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:32 pm

by RTW

C a s r a n wrote:Can't be that bad. Hincapie rode 2nd in last years Paris-Roubaix on the very same frameset!


And they don't pay him to ride it, do they....? oh, wait a minute.....!

by Weenie


User avatar
kman
Posts: 1125
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:51 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

by kman

richardtoddywoddy wrote:
C a s r a n wrote:Can't be that bad. Hincapie rode 2nd in last years Paris-Roubaix on the very same frameset!


And they don't pay him to ride it, do they....? oh, wait a minute.....!


Did all the posties ride the suspension bike? I thought only a few of them -including Hicapie - rode it...? I think the idea has merit, certainly seems better than those rock shox the pro's used back in the day.

But then again, I live in Australia and have never ridden cobles in my life so there is every chance I am completely wrong. :)
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
-- Frank Zappa

User avatar
Mario Jr.
Posts: 2185
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2004 8:49 am
Location: Denmark
Contact:

by Mario Jr.

I think it´s a good idea. When you ride on cobbles on a road bike with 40 km/h, it´s basicly vibrations instead of bumps. Such a elastomer would absorp an good amount of them, even though they are terrible at the bigger bumbs.
But read here: ROUBAIX ARTICLE

User avatar
C a s r a n
WW of the Year 2005
Posts: 3237
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:54 am
Location: Flanders, Belgium
Contact:

by C a s r a n

richardtoddywoddy wrote:
C a s r a n wrote:Can't be that bad. Hincapie rode 2nd in last years Paris-Roubaix on the very same frameset!


And they don't pay him to ride it, do they....? oh, wait a minute.....!



Sure, but then again... It's not like they pay these guys to promote a bad product that will sell good on the market (things that can be seen with other bike equipment) because it is not for sale and developped with the advises of the Discovery riders, including Hincapie. Whatever, I can't say much about this frame, since I've never ridden it, but wouldn't break it completely down like the Repeater does.
Image

RTW
in the industry
Posts: 3562
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:32 pm

by RTW

What shocks me most is that the UCI hasn't banned it, in the same way they have so many innovations!..... are they asleep? :lol:

User avatar
ultimobici
in the industry
Posts: 3352
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:45 pm
Location: London, UK
Contact:

by ultimobici

I doubted if Cipollini was really riding a Bianchi early 2005. His helmet is still a Specialized, and here his fork looks very Specialized as well:

Doubt it's a Specialized frame. That's a very level top tube even for an XL SBC frame.

User avatar
bianchista
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:19 am
Contact:

by bianchista

C a s r a n wrote:I doubted if Cipollini was really riding a Bianchi early 2005. His helmet is still a Specialized, and here his fork looks very Specialized as well:

If you know of Bianchi, then you would immediately recognise both images of Mario are of him on Bianchi.

The fork of Bianchi is produced by Reynolds, called the "FFV Full Carbon", you wouldn't know that unless you received the user manual with a frameset.

Stefano Viganò, Bianchi's Marketing & Communication Manager advised me that the acquirement of Mario to Liquigas cost enough as it was, but it was always under the condition of the wearing of his Specialized Helmet & Shoes.

He was also the one who advised me by email of what I thought to be a new paintjob with Bianchi, but he wrote...


From:
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 9:39 PM
To:
Cc:
Subject: RE: Cipo's bike


Dear XXXX,
it is a bike without paint in order to be lighter than the painted version. He is trying to test this solution for Milano-Sanremo race.
ciao
stefano
ImageImage

User avatar
C a s r a n
WW of the Year 2005
Posts: 3237
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:54 am
Location: Flanders, Belgium
Contact:

by C a s r a n

Thanks bianchisti, interesting info! I'm not such a Bianchi specialist, so always glad to learn something. :oops: :wink:

Mario did ride a painted Bianchi in Milan-SanRemo; the picture I posted was taken during that race.


Btw I had a quite hard discussion with my team leader a few months ago because he refused an offer for us to ride on sponsored Bianchi bikes (instead of the Ridley's we have now); for that reason I stay with my personal commitment with Eddy Merckx bikes.
Image

User avatar
Mario Jr.
Posts: 2185
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2004 8:49 am
Location: Denmark
Contact:

by Mario Jr.

The bike on this picture is definiatly the same bike he won the WC on!
http://grahamwatson.com/gw/imagedocs.ns ... file/3.jpg

There´s no way that is a Bianchi. You can see in on the forks, the headtube and the rear dropouts.

Kuiper
Posts: 2047
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:22 pm
Location: Wateringen, The Netherlands.
Contact:

by Kuiper

C a s r a n wrote:Thanks bianchisti, interesting info! I'm not such a Bianchi specialist, so always glad to learn something. :oops: :wink:

Mario did ride a painted Bianchi in Milan-SanRemo; the picture I posted was taken during that race.


Btw I had a quite hard discussion with my team leader a few months ago because he refused an offer for us to ride on sponsored Bianchi bikes (instead of the Ridley's we have now); for that reason I stay with my personal commitment with Eddy Merckx bikes.


Casran, I guess your team drives: Ridley Excalibur & Ridley Boreas

Mario Jr. wrote:The bike on this picture is definiatly the same bike he won the WC on!
http://grahamwatson.com/gw/imagedocs.ns ... file/3.jpg

There´s no way that is a Bianchi. You can see in on the forks, the headtube and the rear dropouts.


Jep, Do I see sweet Lightweights? :D

User avatar
bianchista
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:19 am
Contact:

by bianchista

I have spoken with Stefano about Cipo's component choices, and Mario used a Bianchi S9 Matta Titanio frameset, with a Specialized FACT fork at Milano-San Remo.

It is odd, however that he chose the FACT fork, because later on in the season he was using the Bianchi FFV (by Reynolds). Maybe it was a question of comfort or setup? I don't know...
ImageImage

User avatar
LJ
WWotY 2006 / Smart convert
Posts: 3217
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:16 pm
Contact:

by LJ

Tenax...

Image
Attachments
Tenax 2006.jpg

CAAD7R3000
Posts: 295
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:42 am
Location: Canberra, Australia
Contact:

by CAAD7R3000

love the green in the frame, I can't stand their kit's, but nice bike!

RTW
in the industry
Posts: 3562
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:32 pm

by RTW

LJ wrote:Tenax...

Image


I'll have one of these please. Size 57cm (do they do that?) Many thanks :D

by Weenie


Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post