Colnago C60 when will it be?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alexaqui

by alexaqui

Calnago wrote:@Nobrakes71: Tough to say until I see one for real, but yes, I think you will be happy. They seem to have thought through the bottom bracket issue quite nicely. And with Campy's new Overtorque cranks the shift from a BSA threaded bottom bracket should be moot, hopefully.

I just haven't seen one for real, and those tubes look massive. From a direct on profile, it looks nice, but I want to see one at different angles to really appreciate what the those tubes look like.

But the biggest plus is that, if you want to run some larger tires, etc., you will have the proper clearance, at least for 25mm. A 25mm Arrenberg or Roubaix has so little clearance on my C59 or EPQ that I worry I'm going to jam something in there that might stop my wheel in it's tracks. There is between 1.5 and 2mm of clearance (closer to 1.5mm I think). That's it. My 2008 C50 on the other hand is fine with the bigger tire.

I am building a new 2014 C59 right now, one of the last traditional C59s that they must have made and I'm pretty sure it has a C60 fork on it. It has more clearance and accepts the same 25mm just fine, kind of like the prior to 2014 C59 fits a 23mm tire.

And last but not least... you'll be one of the first kids on the block with one.

Be happy.

According to my C59 dealer, they did change the clearances on the 2014s to accommodate wider tires. I ended up with a leftover 2013 at a price I could not refuse...

I own a C50 that I recently got back on the road. The evolution from C50 to C59 is tremendous. As much as I loved my C50, the C59 is just better in every way. I am sure the C60 will continue that tradition.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, the 2014 C59's do in fact have better clearances. Like I said, I'm building one right now and so jealous as I like riding 25mm Veloflex Arrenbergs. There's no way I'd ride these tires over chipseal with my C59 or EPQ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I agree there are a lot of "fads" etc. and sometimes there are innovations for innovations sake. Some good, some not so good, and some just bad. I have been really testing out different tubular tire sizes on the same rims... Campagnolo Bora Ultra Twos, and Nemesis Ambrosio box section alloy rims. I have two sets of Boras, one with 23mm Veloflex Carbons, the other with 25mm Veloflex Arrenbergs. Same thing with the Ambrosios but I have even more sets. I do the same rides, with the same bike... the only difference being the tires. Keep in mind that the rims are standard, not wide. I'm a bigger guy, and the 25mm tires do seem to give a more stable ride. Not just more plush which any bigger tire would give which has more volume, but actually more stable. And it's not mushy either, like I though it might be. Basically, I like them. I do not want wider rims for tubulars, the 25mm Arrenbergs fit very nicely on standard tubular rims (at least the rims I'm using). I believe the benefits of wider rims really come into play with clincher technology, not tubular. I had a set of HED Belgium C2 clinchers and will vouch for the benefits of wider rims using clincher tires.

But this thread is about the C60. They have added clearance for wider wheels and tires (at least for up to 25mm with no problems). And they added the clearance on the 2014 C59's as well. This is a good thing. You don't have to run bigger tires if you don't want to, but it's nice to have the option.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

nobrakes71

by nobrakes71

Thanks @calnago.

I ended up selling the other C59 54s that I ordered from Maestro in December which I thought was too big, that's why I placed the order for the C59 52s so late in the game. Had to sell at a loss, even though the frame was brand new, so I guess that a free upgrade for a C60 will make things even in the way.

Regarding C60 bottom bracket: I have a campy chorus group waiting for the frame (can't justify a SR, and although it would be nice). The cups are the ones for the C59. What cups do I need to buy to fit the cranckset in the C60?

Caleido

by Caleido

Find some of these posts a bit odd!

I ordered c59s in January that have since been delivered and have been told c59 is to carry into 2015 product range.

Be interesting to ride the c60. Should get my hands on one in a month or so. I fear they may make it too stiff. Let's see.

On the clearances. I have 4-5mm clearance on fork on my 2012 c59 running 25mm paves or 25mm veloflex on da climcher wheels. Same clearance on 25 mm Vitoria tubs on enve 3.4. So it's not just 2014 c59s that have the clearance.

bombertodd

by bombertodd

Saw a c60 yesterday at Velo Pasadena. Sure looked pretty.

nobrakes71

by nobrakes71

It is odd. The dealer said that last time he spoke to Colnago about 2 weeks ago, all orders were going ahead as planned. Then a couple of days ago Colnago informed that they stopped all C59 orders.

Also, you will notice that they removed the C59 from the website. There is only the C60 now.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Caleido wrote:
On the clearances. I have 4-5mm clearance on fork on my 2012 c59 running 25mm paves or 25mm veloflex on da climcher wheels. Same clearance on 25 mm Vitoria tubs on enve 3.4. So it's not just 2014 c59s that have the clearance.

@Caleido: That's interesting. I just double checked some measurements. I have my 2011 C59 and a 2014 C59 in front of me. I am using a pair of Campy Bora Ultra 35's with a pair of Veloflex Arrenberg 25mm tires mounted. To measure the clearance I use an Allen key inserted between the tire and the fork or seatstays, all the way through and see if I can move it from one side of the rim to the other, like a wand over the tire. Let's call it the "wand test". If it passes over cleanly, great. When it takes some wiggling to pass it through, that's the limit.

For the 2011 C59, the front clearance is 2mm (snug); the rear is 2mm.

For the 2014 C59 in front of me, the fork is different (I believe it to be a C60 fork, and the clearance is an easy 3mm, 4mm with a little rub, so closer to 4 than 3). The rear, after remeasuring, is actually a little tighter than my 2011 C59 and I could really only fit a 1.5mm Allen key in there for the "wand test". The same exact wheels were put in each frame to come up with these clearances.

So, I would say the C59 up until 2014 has the same clearance between the tire and the rear seatstays... the slight difference I measured being due to manufacturing/assembly tolerances. But for the front, the 2014 C59 has markedly more clearance.

I guess in conclusion, you'd better make sure whatever tire/rim combination you want to use, make sure it will fit the frame. The C60 should have ample clearance both front and rear, for 25mm tires at least.

Here's a couple pics of the fork that came with the 2014 C59 frame... C60 fork?? I think it is. It's certainly not a fork I've seen on any C59 until now.

Quick Update: 4/1/2014: After looking at @Geca's pic of his newly delivered C60, the fork I picture below is slightly different. The leading edge of the blades is a little more sculpted on @Geca's. Yet the one pictured below does in fact to be the same as shown on the Colnago website for the C60's. Perhaps they refined them a bit to shave off a few grams before final production runs.

Image Image
Last edited by Calnago on Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

markyboy

by markyboy

@ Calnago What headset did it come with acros?as my 2014 came with the the other headset.
And yes that looks like a c60 fork I don't think my 2014 fork is like that I will have a look
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

catbill

by catbill

No need to try smart and no good to do things half heartedly. Of course, its all down to personal taste but a C59 frame with C60 forks is not what I would regard as wise and uniform. Especially if I wasn't told to be getting before hand. Tell me how would you feel if you order a Campagnolo Record groupset but the seller mixed in a pair of Super record levers?

Just because the C60 is a better frame, it ain't necessary that a customer would just take it as it comes. A customer never like to be forced into receiving something that he or she wasn't expecting. I surely would not want anything similar happen to me in the future.
Colnago C59 KOM
Colnago Extreme-C KOM
Ciocc Aquila Genius tubing
Colnago Master Olympic

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Echo the sentiments that Colnago really seems to have done their homework. Paint schemes look great, the bb solution is creative, yet do wonder if they've sacrificed ride quality in the attempt to make the bike stiffer. Seems every bike I look at today has the same over-sized bottom tube. Need to see what this looks like from all angles, but for now very satisfied with my c-59
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

Ekorre

by Ekorre

Ive got the same fork on my 2014 C-59

corky

by corky

They've been pulling this kind of stunt for a long time....

the EP originally came with the star 75 and then it was shipped with a different fork that wasn't a great fit with the headtube as it was a bit big at the headtube junction..... lo andbehold the EPS appears with this fork and it fits with the newer integrated headset/headtube.......

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

Does anyone have any in stock? Size 48s??

catbill

by catbill

You want C59 or C59.5? Na, just kidding!

Anyway, if you are serious about it and willing to try reliable dealers outside of USA, feel free to message me. UK dealers are good and I can refer you to one or a very good dealer in Asia so you can talk with them directly.
Colnago C59 KOM
Colnago Extreme-C KOM
Ciocc Aquila Genius tubing
Colnago Master Olympic

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com