AX Lightness Vial EVO

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
jrmynthn

by jrmynthn

What's the difference in seat and head tube angles? Have you accounted for those differences?

by Weenie

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I spoke to Ax Lightness and according to themselves, they are in a better financial situation now than ever.

So there should be no concerns with Ax products. Also, as long as Nils Wiedemann is onboard i feel safe.

He's the guy all day all year IMO.

How many frame manufacturers can really do such an incredible repair, i mean just look at ID68s bike/ frame.

No paint hiding the work done. Many manufactures can't do such a job since their frames are produced in Asia.

This resorts in leaving a premium frame to a repair shop not a all knowing the product inside out.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2018.12.21)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=156137
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D

mariovalentim

by mariovalentim

wheelsONfire wrote:Yes, they are so near each other. Perhaps if you'd use a zero offset seat post or not.

I don't think I would need to, the evo has a higher stack but less reach so I would need a stem with a more agressive angle and 1 cm more than the current. Isn't that correct?

jrmynthn wrote:What's the difference in seat and head tube angles? Have you accounted for those differences?

BMC - Headtube angle: 72/seattube angle: 73.5
Evo R - Headtube angle: 72.6/seattube angle: 72.6

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Longer TT on EVO, seat tube is further back due to angle, shorter reach and longer TT.

So it will give you more setback than your BMC. In the end, only you can tell.

For stem, yes, possibly -10 or -12 pending on stack height of stem steerer clamp.

Oh, also check the headsets top cap for BMC. Ax uses 3mm. So if BMC uses a higher + spacers, you would need to take that in to the calculation.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D

stereotaipei

by stereotaipei

Merry Christmas to everybody,
I am building my second Vial evo. The first one was using a THM classic crankset and I could install it without any spacer. But this one will have the THM M3 with SRM.
When installing the M3/SRM crankset, it seems that on the drive side the SRM spider is rubbing against the frame, so that I may have to add spacers (which I would rather avoid). I have seen Vallinotti asking the same question on this thread, but no answer (and I cannot send him a pm, since pm is not activated on my account).
Would love to get an advice on what to use, thanks!

mariovalentim

by mariovalentim

what do you guys think of the Vial Evo compared to a Canyon Ultimate CF SLX? Both framesets would cost more or less the same, the canyon does come with seatpost and stem/handlebar but it's not a dealbreaker for me tbh. Canyon gets A LOT of praise from the media and reviewers and the Vial doesn't have more than 2 reviews and these aren't even longterm ones...

RyanH

by RyanH

Stereo, post the question in jvanv8 build in the Introduce yourself thread. He had the same setup.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
Strava
Not for the sensitive types. My Instagram reviews
The Ex's: I've lost track...

stereotaipei

by stereotaipei

mariovalentim wrote:what do you guys think of the Vial Evo compared to a Canyon Ultimate CF SLX? Both framesets would cost more or less the same, the canyon does come with seatpost and stem/handlebar but it's not a dealbreaker for me tbh. Canyon gets A LOT of praise from the media and reviewers and the Vial doesn't have more than 2 reviews and these aren't even longterm ones...

I think both are excellent. I did buy a canyon to a friend as a gift so had the opportunity to give it a try. For me, I hesitated a lot between both and ended up with the Vial Evo (which is so good that I am actually buying a second one).
Only thing I don't like on the Canyon is that they sell their bike with a 52/36. I live in the mountains, I need a compact set up...

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

stereotaipei wrote:
mariovalentim wrote:what do you guys think of the Vial Evo compared to a Canyon Ultimate CF SLX? Both framesets would cost more or less the same, the canyon does come with seatpost and stem/handlebar but it's not a dealbreaker for me tbh. Canyon gets A LOT of praise from the media and reviewers and the Vial doesn't have more than 2 reviews and these aren't even longterm ones...

I think both are excellent. I did buy a canyon to a friend as a gift so had the opportunity to give it a try. For me, I hesitated a lot between both and ended up with the Vial Evo (which is so good that I am actually buying a second one).
Only thing I don't like on the Canyon is that they sell their bike with a 52/36. I live in the mountains, I need a compact set up...

Oh,.. as a gift! Hoho, that is one lucky guy!

No need to have loans dragging year and years.

You got your answer about that spacer now, don't you :wink:
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D

lannes

by lannes

wheelsONfire wrote:No need to have loans dragging year and years.

I don't think many people would take out a loan to buy a bike, a house and car maybe :thumbup:

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

lannes wrote:
wheelsONfire wrote:No need to have loans dragging year and years.

I don't think many people would take out a loan to buy a bike, a house and car maybe :thumbup:

interesting...uber high end bikes can cost north of $25k...comparable to cost of the average compact car

RussellS

by RussellS

audiophilitis wrote:interesting...uber high end bikes can cost north of $25k...comparable to cost of the average compact car

Not sure about that. AX Lightness had their top Alpha bike for around 16-17 thousand Euro or Dollars. Custom carbon frame, mostly carbon AX parts and wheels, lighter than air, etc. I'd guess even if you had Ernesto himself hand polish a custom Colnago frame, it would still only be 10 thousand or so. Plus all the other luxury parts, it would still be under 20 thousand. The professional racers who win the Tour only have bikes you can buy retail for 10-12 thousand. Unless you get to jewel or gold encrusted parts, you will have a very hard time getting above 20 thousand. The most expensive custom carbon makers in the USA only charge 7 or 8 thousand for the frame and fork. You would have to add a lot of gold and diamond parts to get it above 20 thousand. Crumpton only charges $7000 for its top custom frame.

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

RussellS wrote:
audiophilitis wrote:interesting...uber high end bikes can cost north of $25k...comparable to cost of the average compact car

Not sure about that. AX Lightness had their top Alpha bike for around 16-17 thousand Euro or Dollars. Custom carbon frame, mostly carbon AX parts and wheels, lighter than air, etc. I'd guess even if you had Ernesto himself hand polish a custom Colnago frame, it would still only be 10 thousand or so. Plus all the other luxury parts, it would still be under 20 thousand. The professional racers who win the Tour only have bikes you can buy retail for 10-12 thousand. Unless you get to jewel or gold encrusted parts, you will have a very hard time getting above 20 thousand. The most expensive custom carbon makers in the USA only charge 7 or 8 thousand for the frame and fork. You would have to add a lot of gold and diamond parts to get it above 20 thousand. Crumpton only charges $7000 for its top custom frame.

hmmm...I mentioned uber high end so let's run some numbers:

Cervelo RCA frame: $10,000
LW Obermayer Schwartz: $6,000
THM M3 w/ Power Meter: $3,000
THM Fibula: $1,400
AX Stem: $600
AX bar: $500
AX post: $300
AX Saddle: $300
SR EPS Shifters: $400
SR EPS FD: $400
SR EPS RD: $500
SR cassette: $400
Speedplay Nanogram pedals: $600
Fibrelyte chainrings/POP chainring bolts: $290
Fibrelyte jockey wheels and derailleur plate: $100
Aican brake cable housing w/ KCNC Ti inner cable: $160
Veloflex Tires: $160
THM BBRight w/ CeramicSpeed 6806 bearings: $320
Lightweight bottle cages: $150
Tune U20 skewers: $200
Campy chain: $50

If you go with a custom paint job (Hottubes) and bar/stem integration (Berk), add at least another $1500. Add the other small parts like Schmolke bar end plugs, POP top cap, LW bar tape, etc. -- that would be another $150. I build my own bikes so I save a little on labor...:)

jimborello

by jimborello

Audiophilits you are considering full retail prices in your uberexpensive build. Nobody I know pays full retail nowadays!

by Weenie

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

jimborello wrote:Audiophilits you are considering full retail prices in your uberexpensive build. Nobody I know pays full retail nowadays!

The very few folks I know who build ultra high end bikes are cost-no-object individuals who are more concerned with time to market rather than price. They don't have time to shop around for the best deals and rely on reputable retailers or their LBS to source exotic parts. In fact, I know a forum member who buys exotic parts "in bulk" because most, if not all of these exotic parts are produced in lots and can take a few months before the next batch is produced.

I agree however that the vast majority of afficionados shop around for the best deals, myself included. Cheers!