AX Lightness Vial EVO

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
stereotaipei

by stereotaipei

jvanv8 wrote:Patience is a virtue... although that bit about waiting 2 years for a Ferrari order is unsettling, but thanks for the 'heads up'. I'm cancelling my order tonight and will visit the Lambo dealer in the morning.

even Lambo you will wait for a year ;-)

by Weenie

tharmor

by tharmor

Not sure if everyone saw the write up on this bike from BikeRadar - calling it an überbike!

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... -14-48838/

stereotaipei

by stereotaipei

yes... that's why we are all impatient to get our frame. I think it will make a very good bike.

kode54

by kode54

mnmasotto wrote:My size small (52) Evo D was just shipped! Keeping my fingers crossed.

Mark, i'm curious to see what you think of it. let me know. Bill
- Factor 02 VAM Disc + DA9170 + Enve 4.5AR CK CL hubs
- Moots Vamoots Disc RSL Titanium + DA9170 + Enve 3.4AR CK CL hubs
- Factor LS Disc + DA9170 + Enve G23 CK CL hubs
- Allied Able + DA9170 + Enve G27 CK CL hubs --> outgoing

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

curious as well... was very interested in one, but am too impatient to wait.
2019 BMC TM01 Road UCI config 7.36kg

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I think it would be easier for the (potential) buyers if they would have a second bike that they can use in the meanwhile.
I think most of you have seen Swift carbon SCULP, i don't know, but my guess is that Ax build these to.
I also wonder if they build other brands bikes, not many, but perhaps a few.

Ofcourse everyone want the bike/ frame directly, at this moment i expect to wait a abit but would seriously like it better if each ordered frame could be sold with an estimated date.
If the delivery date had been known from start it may had been easier to swallow.
Now it seems there has been some indications that it is way faster then it actually is.
This is not good.
There are many small builders having rather long delivery dates, but then i think it has been cleared out directly.
When i ordered my Paduano, it was quite spot on talking dates but this was cleared out from the start.

I have had some correspondence with Ax and my dealer, and i have heard them out, IMO.
I am not really sure when the frame will be delivered, but as it is the frame i want, i'll wait for it.
I just wonder how they can handle this with Gold awards from Euro bike and 5 of 5 from Bike radar. To me it seems it will be a demand for the bike/ frame that is pretty high.
My guess is this is the frame that is among the top wanted at this point.
I wonder how many frames has been delivered to this date. How many real owners are ridng their Vial EVO (D).

Luckily i like the dudes at Ax as i find them very nice and well spoken compared to many other builders.
My suggestion would still be, be more clear of dates. It would probably put less pressure on themselves and dealers.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2018.12.21)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=156137
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D

1234SO

by 1234SO

tharmor wrote:Not sure if everyone saw the write up on this bike from BikeRadar - calling it an überbike!

With few exceptions, bike magazin testers appear to be the only ones that were lucky enough to ride this frameset. Big PR stunt, well done Ax.

lannes

by lannes

1234SO wrote:
tharmor wrote:Not sure if everyone saw the write up on this bike from BikeRadar - calling it an überbike!

With few exceptions, bike magazin testers appear to be the only ones that were lucky enough to ride this frameset. Big PR stunt, well done Ax.

bikeradar loves giving 5 star ratings

http://www.bikeradar.com/au/gear/catego ... ductBrand=

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

Well, I receieved my Size Small Vial Evo D yesterday. Total transit time from Germany was 12 days via DHL. I must thank Starbike for doing everything they could to "Ease" the Customs Precess to the U.S. First impressions of the frame are very positive. The carbon layup and attention to detail are really nice. The hand work performed by little Germans toiling with the carbon sheets is quit appearent. The paint job is also quit good sans a small area of THM decal malalignment along the inside of the fork. I am certain it will ne hardly noticeable when the bicycle is assembled. As many of you already know the frame arrives with the headset and bottom bracket bearings already installed. I was unable to easily remove either. The total frame weight with the rear derailor hanger, bottom bracket bearings, head set bearings and all the cable routing material is 715 grams. The fork weights 305 grams including the alloy expander. I must admit I had some serious reservations as to the construction of this frame given its "relatively" low cost and overal small operations size. However, I must confess I am pleaseantly surprised. I consider the contruction quality and attention to detail on part or better than my latest italian frames (Colnago C59). I am not certain where to go from here. I have a set of Lighweight Milenstein Carbon Clinchers and will either install a Di2 9070 groupset or a 2015 Campagnolo Super Record groupset. What do you guys prefer. Mark
Attachments
ax1.JPG
ax2.JPG
ax3.JPG
ax4.JPG
ax5.JPG

Rippin

by Rippin

@mnmasotto - Nice and congrats!
Can you take a side shot of the frame set for us and a close up of the paint work? Thanks.
____o
_`\<,_
(*)/ (*)

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

:up:
Nice!
Campa SR or Di2, wow what a great question!
If you'd go for Campa, you should perhaps be aware of the fact that you can't fit the Campa over torque crankset to the frame.
In this case you should use another crankset.
If you use Shimano Hollowtech, you'll need those plastic adapters that i think you got along with the frameset?
I will use Rotor 3D+MAS which is not along the very lightest choices, but it will be a bit lighter than Ax/ Engage Pelton crankset.
Personally i would use Campa shifters, cassette, FD and RD. Rotor 3D+ MAS + Q-rings and new EE brakes.
But i would expect it to shift quite close to Shimano DA 9000.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2018.12.21)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=156137
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

I will be using the THM M3 crankset.

Rippin

by Rippin

@ mnmasotto
Could you also post the measurement of the seat tube from centre to centre? Thanks.
____o
_`\<,_
(*)/ (*)

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

Few more photos. I hope this is what you were looking for.
Attachments
ax6.JPG
ax7.JPG
ax8.JPG

Rippin

by Rippin

So about 47cm c-c seat tube. Thanks for the pics and info mnmasotto.
____o
_`\<,_
(*)/ (*)

by Weenie