AX Lightness Vial EVO

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AXAxel
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by AXAxel

spytech wrote:that kind of sucks... i dont see the extralite hubs as something of an everyday hub, yes they are light, but not as stiff or durable as other options. i was looking at building the ax wheels with alchemy ul hubs, the mtb clinchers are sold as rims, what is the reasoning behind not selling the srt 28 rims solo? you have a lot of DIY guys out there, that like to customize their wheels based on preference.

The MTB clinchers (as well as any other rim) are not available individually any longer either, but only as a complete wheelset. Reasoning in fact being the extremely high demand with us with hundreds of rim preorders: A single rim (take a MTB clincher for instance) takes a whopping 7.5hrs to be built and is exclusive and elaborate handwork (so the production time cannot be reduced without affecting the quality). In order to guarantee a supply availability without too long lead times we are solely supplying complete wheels until further notice. That the rim quality is absolutely up there though as can be seen in the most recent test in German Bike magazine as well as from the feedback from customers and professionals.

We have made extremely good experience with Extralite hubs and their track record though, yielding a lot less problems than comparable offerings. I am riding mine in all conditions all well.

Wcl4 wrote:Can these frames be ordered with custom paint?

Being a stock frame, the VIAL evo does not come in any custom colours but just in this one paint job. Custom colours are preserved to our custom frame, but chances are we will see limited editions somewhere down the road.
~Nils

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

Do you currently have any size 52 frame sets with the THM fork available for delivery to the U.S.
THx

AXAxel

by AXAxel

All the different sizes are currently being produced. However due to the number of preorders we would momentarily be looking into a delivery date around May (a single frame takes over 20 man-hours to be built). We will have pics of a fully built size S frame (respectively bike) available shortly as well (as I am currently into building mine).

Pics of a built VIAL evo (non "D") in size M/54 as followed to give a general impression on the dimensions of the frame, the sloping etc. The bike is being built is a test bike for a shop opening on Saturday, specs include: Sram Red, ax Stream 55 wheels, ax Rigid stem, ax4200 bar, ax Europa seatpost, ax Endurance Plus saddle, ax Morpheus cranks, ax3000 brakes, ax Nasdorowje cages, Conti GP4000 tubs; weight being 4.9 kg without pedal, rider weight limit 100kg for this setup.
(As before, more pics to be found on our Flickr account).
~Nils

Sevenfold

by Sevenfold

As a long time 'guest' user, I have been following this thread with interest - that is one 'nice' bike!! 8)

giant man

by giant man

Will be nice to see some colours, as I don't think the natural carbon/black look does anything for this fab looking frame.

Martin1977

by Martin1977

Nice Bike !!!
But I have question about AX Orion brakes and new wide aero rims. I have AX Orion brakes and I bought new ZIPP 808 wheels. Can I use wider springs in brakes to be able to use Orion brakes with new 26mm wide rims? I can see, that You use AX 3000 brakes with wide Stream 55 wheels. I already talked to local guy about having custom carbon springs made, but I'm not sure about performance of brakes with wider springs. Is it OK to use wider springs on orion brakes with ZIPP 808?

thanks, Martin

Wcl4

by Wcl4

I love the understated scheme. Hope that downtube painting will be ghost tone!!

AXAxel

by AXAxel

Hi Martin,
What brake shoes and pads are you using with your Orion brakes? (The combination of) these can make a big difference in clearance. Our new(er) carbon brake shoes accommodate wider rims a lot better than the previous alu ones. These are no problem with stock pads on wider rims such as our Stream 55. On top of that Swissstop for instance also offers an "evo" version of their brake pads which are thinner in stack height as well to give more clearance for wider rims :!:

Welcome to the forum Sevenfold :welcome:
And thanks for the comments (and of course also crticism) to the others!
~Nils

djconnel

by djconnel

Gorgeous!

Martin1977

by Martin1977

Hi Nils,
I have old alu shoes on my brakes. I sent question to AX web site if You offer some kind of low profile pads like Ciamillo, but I got no answer so far, so I tried this thread :-)
I checked Your web and new 55 stream rims are 23,5mm wide. Zipp 808 rims are 26,1mm wide. Do You have any experiences with new ZIPP Fifecrest rims and Orion brakes? After quick check, Orion calipers could be opened more with wider springs, but I'm not sure if stopping power stays the same after modification like that.
I was thinking about quick test with small (for example paper) inserts in between springs and calipers. Just to see, if it works. But Unfortunately my frame and few other parts were broken by car during crash, so i can not do it now.
Brakes seems to be OK and without any signs of impact or scratches. I've just bought new ZIPP 808 wheels, because I liked my old ZIPP 808 and I would like to use them together with Orion brakes on new bike. That is why I'm asking.
Thanks for tips about new carbon shoes and lower profile pads, but I'm not sure if it will be enough for 26,1mm rims. Do You have any personal experiences with new Firecrest rims?

Martin

Stegger

by Stegger

It looks great Nils!

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Last edited by Beancouter on Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ianSWBB
Shop Wrench

by ianSWBB

Axel

The bike looks great!
I'm going to do some local promotion for it here in the South West of the UK

I bet it would be ideal for riding up and over the Moors and hills of South Wales!

best regards
ianSWBB

ipdamages

by ipdamages

Nils (and Axel) -

I sit eagerly in wait for my size S EVO to arrive. Happily, in the interim you guys have been extremely responsive in sending me other items I've ordered in the past six months, including a saddle, seatpost, two sets of wheels, and two helmets. Everything has been exceptionally well made and resilient as I have put miles on the products (I ride 300 mi/500km per week), but I particularly appreciate your customer service. Having seen AX go through some good and bad times, I am happy to say that you have really taken a positive turn with your responsiveness. As people say, words are cheap, but actions mean something, and your actions in sending me my ordered products quickly and with good communication is very refreshing.

Anyway, bravo on releasing the Vial EVO on time as well. So often these things slip on the schedule that I'm sure very few people would have thought you would be sending out frames in March. Keep up the good work, and it will be nice when I can ride the Vial EVO in Southern California on group rides and in races.

- Chris

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

addictR1

by addictR1

What's the total weight of the build? Very curious to see the build list and the overall weight

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk