AX Lightness Vial EVO

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

EightFiveTwo

by EightFiveTwo

mnmasotto wrote:Still do not have one

How long have you been waiting for :noidea: ?? Was it ordered through a dealer or directly from AX?

Stegger

by Stegger

Still waiting for my group set before I can finish my build, but I got a low quality kitchen weight to try and get an idea of the weight of my Vial Evo D XL frame kit. Here goes:

Uncut fork:

Frame, incl liners, rd. hanger, seat post clamp, bottom bracket and headset:

Not too bad :D :D :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jvanv8

by jvanv8

Excellent, can't wait for mine!
AX Vial Evo: 4970g
Addict SL : 5235g
My Cycling Blog
Strava: Wayward Cyclist

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Thats a good weight for an XL considering the BB, headset, hanger and clamp should weight 110-130g.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kermithimself

by Kermithimself

That bike looks sick. I soo want one. But how will it be for a 1500 watt sprinter? Stiff enough?
------------
If you dream of being famous - think of what birds do to statues.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kermithimself/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdCPaXwpeXT_LpuEF0REjqw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gotlegscycling/

hawklongly

by hawklongly

Hello Axel,
I come from China, may be the first order of a vial evo users in China
There are two questions to ask
1, bb386 specifications are compatible with Campagnolo Ultra Torque crank
2, the ax official website, vial evo pictures in the show fork, not 3t, nor thm, in the end what is the brand, I really like the fork, do not know whether to buy.

Hope to get your answer as soon as possible, thank you

jimborello

by jimborello

Come on guys the wait has been way longer than expected!!

Stegger

by Stegger

Should have mine finished up and the first rides completed some time next week.

jvanv8

by jvanv8

Still back-ordered at most retailers. As it's already been pointed out, this isn't your typical mass produced Asian frame and as such, it comes with a few drawbacks that may test one's need for instant gratification. I wonder about the numbers: how many have been built, how many on back-order, and how many they produce per day.

Nearing August, all I can say is thank goodness it isn't a French brand!
My Cycling Blog

EightFiveTwo

by EightFiveTwo

All i can say is----must be nice to have a business that "cannot keep up with the demand".

I asked AX about the Rigid Negative Stem to go with the frame that i ordered, and their reply is "8 weeks". I asked few retailers whom honestly said "no guarantee because 8 weeks are not likely when you order anything from AX"

Takes money and patience to be "different"? I can only laugh about this BS and move on with my daily tasks.

BTW, while they have the time to post pictures on Flick, gone "racing" and some random replies on this forum, you think they would bother changing/updating the pictures of their new product on their website...WRONG. Isn't it just logical for any "small and unique" companies to update their website with the most current/updated info for people across the world to access?

jvanv8

by jvanv8

Good points 852, but I think you are looking at it the wrong way.

First, remember that rides such as those found in Trans-Alps are the ethos to this forum.

Second, you really have to visualize what's going on behind the scenes. Sure it sucks to order something and take 6+ weeks to arrive. But while a budget-minded global company will outsource a large factory to produce frames that need only minutes of human care to produce so they can meet their goal to output of 100's of frames per day, AX is a bit different (from what I gather). They are not only physically closer to the customer, but like many small bike manufacturers, they are the customer as well, riding and reaping what they sew. I love my carbon Scott, but I also know that the man (more likely woman) who executed the finishing touches on my frame has many orders from corporate, yet very little knowledge about what it's like to ride a bike such as the one in front of them. This worries me a little. Call me nostalgic but I appreciate bikes made bike cyclists in areas known for cycling. This is a difficult task these days since it's likely your Italian bike isn't made in Italy, your American bike isn't made in the US, and your French bike isn't made in any known département.

Third, since the Tour-Transalp 2014 certainly caters to equipment produced by AX, it's highly likely that they targeted the date in late 2013 to produce a frame and use the event as a marketing launching pad for their new product. They did well in this target but as far as fulfilling the customer demand... it's a happy problem that should keep them busy for the next few months (and perhaps more).

My only fear is that they can't keep up with demand and try to simplify the build process so any cheap laborer can do the task. Perhaps I'm misguided, or an outlier, but I think this is the wrong way to go. When you outsource to Asia with your molds, availability is easy (after a few months for setup), prices are cheap, quality is 'pretty good'. But future development and industry longevity suffer. Soon, your fancy frame is on eBay without decals for next to nothing. When it fails or you have a problem, a call to customer service is answered by someone who's never ridden that bike. If consumers continue their disregard for the country of manufacturer, cycling technology is stripped down to a lower level once we have no workforce capable of knowing how to do the skill, except for the Taiwanese woman who made my Scott, who really shares no similar interests with myself or other cyclists. I'd much rather see a company take their time - but continually and rapidly evolve with local R&D along side manufacturing all whilst providing warranty support, and first hand knowledge about the bike. When you put these together with what the customer truly desires, it can be magic.

(Full disclosure: I receive 10 new AX frames and 10 matching wheelsets for every positive reply :) )
My Cycling Blog

EightFiveTwo

by EightFiveTwo

jvanv8,

Lol. all i know is I want to ride my new bike!

I understand the delays could happen, i just don't understand how this Cycling Industry works. Not that I want to contribute any meaningful ideas and solutions because that requires time and energy to come up with some, plus i don't get paid to do so.

This is my so-called logic: If some come onto a world-wide forum to promote/sell their product, I sure hope they have the courtesy to keep posting updates in a frequent manner. how long does it take to type couple of paragraphs?

My whole point for all these mumble jumble? Don't let people to start wondering, just let them know of the updates before they "have to ask". I bet you they would (at least i would) wait patiently with a smile on their faces!

BTW, you are lucky that you got a Taiwaness lady making your frame, not a lady from mainland china. lol...i know because i'm chinese too!! :beerchug:

jvanv8

by jvanv8

Fair enough 852,
I'm not sure of the industrial supply, but I can tell you I've been waiting 5 weeks and still no word. R2 Bike is currently saying they have stock. I can't find any other shops that are stating in-stock availability. Best I provide at this point.
Anxious but not unhappy - as this was a known factor.
My Cycling Blog

EightFiveTwo

by EightFiveTwo

jvanv8 wrote:Fair enough 852,
I'm not sure of the industrial supply, but I can tell you I've been waiting 5 weeks and still no word. R2 Bike is currently saying they have stock. I can't find any other shops that are stating in-stock availability. Best I provide at this point.
Anxious but not unhappy - as this was a known factor.

Same here as far as wait time of 5 wks so far, and honestly--- I really don't mind waiting if people keep me posted without having me to ask about it.

BTW, I also just bought a set of the AX 28 clincher to go with the vial evo. Got the wheels from the dealer two weeks ago, and they do look pretty hanging on the wall. :thumbup:

What fork did you order with your frame? I'm getting the thm

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jvanv8

by jvanv8

Nice! I've been thinking about those wheels as well but have been waiting for AX to release the details of the new 38mm tubulars with similar wide rim and aero profile to better make the tubular vs clincher decision. I was under the impression that the Ultra 28 Clinchers where even harder to source which was another reason I justified the wait. Interesting to know they are in the wild.
My Cycling Blog