Look Keo Blade 2 2014

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

maquisard

by maquisard

I always thought it was bizarre that the GRIP version of the cleat lacked the bi-material teflon inserts that the non-GRIP version offers!

sethjs

by sethjs

G6612 wrote: It appears to me that I must really twist my ankle to unclip a lot more than my previous pedal will this loosen up over time or will I just get used to it or should I maybe think on going over to the gray cleat? Just seeing if anyone has the same experience as me.

I just did my first long ride on the new Blades today. I had the same realization - on the red cleats you seem to need to twist your ankle very far out there in order to disengage. On a commute (where you unclip a lot), that became tiring on my ankle.

Other issue I'm finding is the left cleat / pedal is making a noise when I put ~280+ watts in. I'll try the oil on the metal plate methodology to see if that helps.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

9 degrees of float on the red cleats, it's quite a lot, no? I've only ever used the grey ones, never felt like I needed any more than that.

Rick

by Rick

It seems like LOOK is having trouble getting these into widespread distribution.
I "bought" a pair of the Ti version from PBK at a good price. They showed as "in stock", and now I find that they were not really in stock. :evil:
I only see a few other sources at full price.
Has anyone found a good price on the Ti that is really in stock ?

Krackor

by Krackor

xxcycle.com always has great prices on Look pedals. I bought my original Keo Blades from there, and I'm considering the Blade 2 now. xxcycle shows the 12 and 16 Nm versions in stock with either steel or ti spindle. $140 for steel $230 for ti.

But of course I haven't ordered mine yet so I can't tell you if they are "real" or not. I've never had a reason to doubt xxcycle's inventory claims though.

Rick

by Rick

Thanks.
I found the CroMo version at Planet Cyclery, which is close to me in the USA. I already received them in fact.
So I will try out the CroMo and buy the Ti later if I like the pedals.
Planet also has the Ti, but at close to MSRP.

G6612

by G6612

Let me know what cleats you are using red, gray, or black. Would like your opinion on unclipping on these pedals. I may be switching to the gray cleats with less float.

Rick

by Rick

Blade 2 CroMo Pedal pair: 224gms Cleat pair (gray): 37.5 Cleat Hardware: 27.0 Total: 288.5 gms

First ride: 38 miles: General good first impression.
But: Even though I had started with a wiping of pledge on the contact surfaces, I did get some squeak/creak at high power about halfway into the ride. I stopped and cleaned my cleat and pedal and it went away, so we'll see how that goes. I lubed every jointI thought could move at all with heavy oil after I got home. I put more clean pledge on the contact surfaces.

I got the 16 N*m clip out torque: I wouldn't want to go less, and it seemed very crisp and "sharp" with a very audible click in. The clip in force seemed very light, while the clip out force seemed about like my Dura Ace, which were set about 2 clicks lighter than mid way of their adjustment. In other words, I an comfortable with medium-light clip out, and these seemed about as low as I would want to go. Keep in mind that I used speedplay zeroes and Light Actions also a lot, and they have nearly zero clip-out force.

The float is remarkably light and slippery feeling; much more free than Dura ace, and almost as free as Speedplay zeros. I like that. The gray cleats definitely feel like more float range than the shimano yellow cleats. I also got a pair of look red cleats (9° float), but I decided to try the gray cleats first. It seems like I don't really need float during a pedal stroke, but I occasionaly like to twitch my foot to a different angle positions during a ride for some reason. So it is mostly just a comfort thing.

What purpose does the polyurethane button at the center of the cleat contact really serve? Is it necessary ? Shimano doesn't have one. Could it just be left off ? I suspected the button-aluminum contact was causing some squeaks. The cleat would still be held down tighly to the pedal surface without the button there, wouldn't it ?

More:
The bearings seem very smooth and there is no play. But the pedal body is so light, and the grease seals tight enough, that the pedal does not swing AT ALL when you unclip. It just sits there at exactly the same angle it was when you unclipped. So I have to get used to this odd re-entry angle. If you touch it in a failed entry attempt, it just moves to some other odd angle and stays there. So you then have to push it to a usable angle with your toe. Maybe it will actually be good this way once I am used to it, or maybe the bearings and seals will loosen up over time. But I did a lot of fishing for my pedal after stoplights. Once you find the right spot though the clip in is very light and positive.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

The bearings should free up with use mate.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Krackor

by Krackor

I don't have the button installed on my cleats (for original Keo Blade). No idea what difference it's supposed to make. :noidea:

Maybe it is supposed to keep dirt out of the hole used to access the fit-memory screw?

sawyer

by sawyer

Not rotating freely is a deal-breaker for me.

Not keen on bleeding a watt here there and everywhere.

Sticking with Gen 1s
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Krackor

by Krackor

My Gen 1s have always been sticky. Did they come out of the box smooth for you?

Rick

by Rick

I am skeptical that the pedals will ever "hang freely" when unclipped simply because the body mass is so low and the weight distribution is very evenly distributed. Normal springs create a steel mass concentrated towrd the back of the pedal, while these blades are light and run the full length of the pedal. But it is too early for me to really make that a definite statement.

There has been nothing "sticky" about them. the bearings are extremely smooth. Even the bearing seal, though very "viscous" feeling is smooth and not at all sticky.

Krackor

by Krackor

I guess I shouldn't say "sticky". My right pedal is quite smooth and hangs rear-down every time. Unfortunately I always clip out my left foot when stopping. My left pedal feels "gritty" as if there were particles stuck in the bearings, or the bearings had many tiny pits worn into them. It's easily tolerable though, so I've never considered trying to get those bearings serviced.

sawyer

by sawyer

Krackor wrote:My Gen 1s have always been sticky. Did they come out of the box smooth for you?

Yes - pretty smooth out of the box and goot a bit smoother.

I don't buy the view you read posted a lot that use really loosens Looks up ... does a bit but not much.

Does seem to be case from having used Look pedals for 8 years and talked to other users that it's hit and miss and doesn't correlate with high-end / low-end
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com