Custom Paintjob - What do you think?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

peterb_bt

by peterb_bt

Yeah, I think it would look good with chrome (I know it's supposed to be white). It looks better with the red stripes taken off the top tube, but put the F10 back on. IMO the white at the bottom of the forks looks out of place. Could you do something at the seatstay/chainstay end to balance it out? Would you consider changing the bar tape/saddle to white? I think you should change the brakes to a black set aswell.
You can never have too much carbon fibre....!

anubis

by anubis

If you have to do it by your own - well, it's different.

If I was you, I would't try it. I mean, I have tried...:? To avoid color- and "dust"-mistakes, it takes a lot of patinence and experience. The clearcoatlayer especially has to be strong, and it has to work with the color beneath.

At the end you will have - maybe - a paint job wich looks more or less similar as you intended, but the quality will be poor. That means, it will not be shockresistent. I

I predict, this adventure will end at the professional varnisher. Homework painting is sufficient for a cheap city bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tcr

by tcr

peterb_bt wrote:Yeah, I think it would look good with chrome (I know it's supposed to be white). It looks better with the red stripes taken off the top tube, but put the F10 back on. IMO the white at the bottom of the forks looks out of place. Could you do something at the seatstay/chainstay end to balance it out? Would you consider changing the bar tape/saddle to white? I think you should change the brakes to a black set aswell.

The pic isn't actually his bike, this is his here (a work in progress):

tcr

by tcr

IMO Felix your design in alright, nothing special... I think if you are going to go to the trouble of getting to frame resprayed then you should go for something a bit more radical with some more colour. Why not go for a lot of red, bmc slc01 style?

Or if you really want to get out there, you could get something like LJ's Paris orange :D

FelixOr

by FelixOr

peterb_bt wrote:Yeah, I think it would look good with chrome (I know it's supposed to be white). It looks better with the red stripes taken off the top tube, but put the F10 back on. IMO the white at the bottom of the forks looks out of place. Could you do something at the seatstay/chainstay end to balance it out? Would you consider changing the bar tape/saddle to white? I think you should change the brakes to a black set aswell.

hi,
i will try to change the seatstays today, just need some time. Thanks for the tip! A white bar-tape sounds good as well, i will give it a try. Saddle will stay black! :)
the brakes are 0Gs, so they are already black - i haven't tried to add them yet!
wow, i'll do a whole new picture just for you :mrgreen:

anubis wrote:If you have to do it by your own - well, it's different.

If I was you, I would't try it. I mean, I have tried... To avoid color- and "dust"-mistakes, it takes a lot of patinence and experience. The clearcoatlayer especially has to be strong, and it has to work with the color beneath.

At the end you will have - maybe - a paint job wich looks more or less similar as you intended, but the quality will be poor. That means, it will not be shockresistent. I

I predict, this adventure will end at the professional varnisher. Homework painting is sufficient for a cheap city bike.

thanks for the warning anubis! i already had some thoughts the problems you mentioned. but it's not even sure yet, that i will repaint the frame.
first of all i have to get into the topic a little bit - reading books, asking people who have experience etc.
i won't do anything before i'm not sure that it will look good and clean at the end!

HI TCR! :D
yep, nice suggestions. i like the paint scheme of the BMC, but i have no idea what colour to use on which place. That's why i chose white. if i start to think about different colours it will take me like 6months to decide ;)

...damn now you actually made me think about it! :?
give me some tipps: what do you think looks good? .... doesn't have to be white/red/black. anything you want ;)

bladteth

by bladteth

marathon wrote:Hey you are really good, I think it's the coolest Canyon I've seen, honest :lol: ...the only thing I would remove is two red stipes on your upper tube.

Right, these vertical stripes make the bike couple of km/h slower. Horizontal ones, on the other hand, make it quicker :-)
Best regards,
Rado bladteth Rzeznicki

Boonen

by Boonen

Painting a frame and making it look good as well isn't easy at all. First of all you need the right equipment, you simply can't get a professional looking job with a pair of spraycans. (these are good for old steel beater frames, not for brand new cf frames)
You made it seem like you've done it before, but if you need to buy a compressor and a spraygun first you might as well have a professional paint it because it's going to be fare more expensive when you do it yourself.
If you want to do it yourself anyway take a look at www.frameforum.net , you'll find all the info you need and might get inspiration from what other people have done as well.
Good luck with it.

martin

by martin

FelixOr wrote:Well, I'm really bored today :D. Got a lot of free time, and started thinking about re-painting my Canyon. Right now it's completely black, which is nice, stealthy, but i want something new and exciting ;)
I did some work on photoshop, and this came out.
What do you think? Is it worth the effort of re-painting the frame?
My bike would have Reynolds Stratus instead of the LWs, but i could not manage to put them into the picture well. The rest would look VERY similar and all the colours are 1:1.
Do you have some tipps how i could make the frame even nicer? i want to stick to the black/white/red sheme...

Felix, i think that first draft looks magnificent; just so much better than the black original. If you need a painter, try Rockenstein in Germany/Thüringen. They charged me 110E for stripping paint, polishing, creating and applying decals, and applying clear coat. They did a good job on it and they have a great deal of experience with bicycles as they do paint all Steppenwolf bikes.

Martin
Snowman and Strong Walker
Scott Sc
my old stuff
my new stuff

tcr

by tcr

Hi Felix,

Here's a crude attempt at what you could do... hopefully it will give you some ideas!

I was trying to think of other colour possibilities but black/red/white seems the best IMO.

FelixOr

by FelixOr

@Boonen: ... damn !
i just started doubting that i could do it myself :(. even with the right amount of know-how. just missing practice!

@martin: great! that sounds very promising. and the price isn't that high neither!
Do you know if they have experience with painting carbon frames? ... i ak because i want to have the original paint removed before.
Thank you!

@bladteth: i'll keep that in mind :lol:

FelixOr

by FelixOr

tcr wrote:Hi Felix,

Here's a crude attempt at what you could do... hopefully it will give you some ideas!

I was trying to think of other colour possibilities but black/red/white seems the best IMO.

ahh well done :)!
maybe the red is a little too flashy for me. I will be one my TACX from 14-17 o'clock, so i have some time to try a similar design. :)
do you use paint shop pro?

tcr

by tcr

FelixOr wrote:maybe the red is a little too flashy for me. I will be one my TACX from 14-17 o'clock, so i have some time to try a similar design. :)
do you use paint shop pro?

I use PhotoStudio 5 and I really have no idea what I am doing :lol:

Boonen

by Boonen

FelixOr wrote:@Boonen: ... damn !
i just started doubting that i could do it myself :(. even with the right amount of know-how. just missing practice!

Sorry, didn't wan't to disencourage you, just wanted to warn you that it isn't that easy to get a good looking and strong and durable result. If you just did it with a white and a red can of spraypaint I think you would be disapointed with the result. (somebody I know did this years ago and it looked fine from a distance, but you could easily see it was something he did himself) But if you are determined to do it I'm sure you can pull it off providing you have the right equipment and paints!

If you want to save some money you could always sand the original paint off the frame yourself. Not a very fun job to do as it takes a lot of time and you have to be somewhat carefull not to sand the cf too much (read: you have to do it all by hand with very fine sandpaper) but you do get the chance to see what your frame will look like without paint. Probably best to talk this over with whoever is going to respray the frame before you start though :wink:

If you didn't already check the forums on frameforum.net, even if you don't go through with this it's quite entertaining to read IMO.

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

Three hours on the turbo :shock: :( Poor you felix. Hang in there. I did an hour today and then lost the desire to live!

If you can afford it, I think a custom paint job (professionally done) will set up your custom spec Canyon perfectly. Your Canyon is now a very special machine (thanks to your hard work and friends on this board) and should stand out as such. What about the WW script done as a sticker just above the F10 logo?

FelixOr

by FelixOr

richardtoddywoddy wrote:Three hours on the turbo :shock: :( Poor you felix. Hang in there. I did an hour today and then lost the desire to live!

If you can afford it, I think a custom paint job (professionally done) will set up your custom spec Canyon perfectly. Your Canyon is now a very special machine (thanks to your hard work and friends on this board) and should stand out as such. What about the WW script done as a sticker just above the F10 logo?

Hi Rich!
i hate the indoor trainer just as much as you do.... but it's necessary!
why didn't i think of the WW logo myself? Great idea!!!
what do you think should i write on the TT? maybe something like weightweenies.com or so? :)

@Boonen: i just read through the froum, pretty interesting!
well, i'm very afrai of sanding off the paint myself. as you said: the carbon can be damaged... :(

Here is a new pic, with bottlecages, 0Gs and white bar tape... what do you think? shouldi add some white to the lower ends of the seatstays?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com