Planet X Ultra Light CNC/Forged brakes - weights & opinions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Devon

by Devon

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/BCP ... e_calipers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/BCP ... e_calipers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone got any experience with these? They seem to offer a fairly good weight-to-price ratio.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

astranoc

by astranoc

Too many threads on this Devon, please look:

https://www.google.ie/search?q=site%3Aw ... etx+brakes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jekyll man

by jekyll man

They're too light, and float off into the ether..... ;-)
Official cafe stop tester

Devon

by Devon

Very good 8)

LouisN

by LouisN

jekyll man wrote:They're too light, and float off into the ether..... ;-)

:lol:

:)

s
i
u
o
L

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Yeah, this have been covered before.

Pros: Light.

Cons: Cable clamping setup allows cable to slip under higher brake lever force. The mechanism crushes/frays the cable at the clamp point, as cable slips under lever pressure this causes braking to be reduced, not good. No idea what they were thinking with this terrible neanderthal design.

Quick release, doesn't really quick release if you run your pads close to the rim. You need enough space due to the poor lever design to allow the brake pads cantilever first against the rim before the release will pop and open up the brakes. That is great is you like your pads 4mm from the wheel on each side to allow the lever to close, then open. But, I run my pads closer to the rims, just removing the wheel between rides was a hassle every time.

If they would just build this brake, with the traditional and proven cable clamping and quick lever adjustment like SRAM/Shimano and others use, I would switch back to them. Until that time, just using my Red brakes. They work, the quick release system is golden/proven, and my brakes cables aren't destroyed.

Devon

by Devon

Thanks for the report. I use Campagnolo so have the more sensible lever operated release so that shouldn't be an issue. Will look into the cable fraying issue though, thanks.

fposse

by fposse

They look cool, work fairly well, and don't weigh a lot, but that's about it. Nothing amazing about them. Just like Zigmeister said the cable clamp is pretty stupid and ruins the cable once you've tighten the bolt. Had the CNC version on my main roadie but i just decided to let my singlespeed inherit them.

nickf

by nickf

Yes cable stops sucks. Overall great calipers nice and stiff.

stevec1975

by stevec1975

Zigmeister wrote:Yeah, this have been covered before.

Pros: Light.

Cons: Cable clamping setup allows cable to slip under higher brake lever force. The mechanism crushes/frays the cable at the clamp point, as cable slips under lever pressure this causes braking to be reduced, not good. No idea what they were thinking with this terrible neanderthal design.

Never had a problem with this, all cable clamps crush the cable by design.. If you setup you brakes correctly there is no issue..

RiverCityKid

by RiverCityKid

I don't know much about how they get the material to be black or red, but wouldn't the silver colored ones be lighter than say the black or red? Or is it anodized or colored in a way that doesn't increase the weight? Here is the link for convenience http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BCPXFOR/planet-x-ultra-light-forged-brake-calipers

Thanks

budgetweenie

by budgetweenie

The color comes from a dye applied as part of the anodizing process. The anodizing adds no weight, it is an electrochemical process on the surface of the metal. The dye is only a few molecules thick. The silver ones are also anodized, to prevent corrosion.

J00P

by J00P

There are 2 versions of the planetX brakes,
[1] CNC version spec'd weight 205g
[2] forged version: spec'd 225 g
(at half the price of the CNC brake)

my forged brakes:

stcact

by stcact

I've got the 201gr cnc'd gold version. As for the color, anodizing will not add a measurable amount of weight to the brake set. Setting them up is easier than some would lead to believe. If you got Any mechanical skills, it won't be a problem. I'm 150lbs kitted and there is more than enough stopping power. Keep an eye on them, if they go on sale get the cnc'd ones.

RiverCityKid

by RiverCityKid

Thanks for all your help guys, I just didn't know what exactly the anodizing process meant and I appreciate the pic of them on the scale. I'll be saving weight (36g) even if they come in at 242 and money over the set of SRAM Red brakes I just sold so I think I'll be happy with these!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com