Colnago C59 - is it really that good?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kgt

by kgt

If you can afford C59 go for it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

poppiholla

by poppiholla

I only need to buy the frameset, but I need to save a little bit more :-)
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL7 (Satin carbon spectraflair tint)
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL6 (Green Cameleon)
Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6 Disc (Blue/Teal Sram Force AXS)
Specialized Epic Elite 29
Greetings from the Netherlands

nick

by nick

Been using my C59 now for 3 months and I love it. I've built it with Campagnolo super record and a pair of Hyperon ultra2's. Makes me smile everytime I use it.

PSM

by PSM

What frame did you use previously?

nickc3

by nickc3

carbonLORD wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:13 pm
I've written a few comparisons between my 2012 C59 and my latest acquisition, a 2013 S-WORKS Venge but lets talk about the C59.

60cm traditional. I purchased it at the time I was working with a dealer and still had to wait 4 months (because I wanted MTBK and traditional geometry).

I was coming out of an original BMC Team Machine SLT01 that I coveted. http://carbonlord.com/BMCSLT01.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The SLT01, very stiff and felt more like a CAAD 10 then a carbon tubed, aluminum lugged frame. I expected the carbon lugs on the C59 would give me that compliance I anticipated from carbon.

My expectations were more then met with the C59. Almost all of the stiffness of the Venge but a comfort and quality that I'd never experienced in another frame set. I am 6'3" at 190-200lbs and lay down some power, (though I am no climber at this size) I can climb exceptionally well on the C59 due to its top end performance out of the saddle. Bike weighs in as pictured at 6.7 Kilos (14.9 lbs) and there is never any brake rub or flex that I can notice.

I call it a bike that "celebrates cycling". When people ask why it costs so much I equate it to the Ferrari for an automobile enthusiast. A childhood dream of owning one realized as for many, I am thankful I am at an age that I can still appreciate it for all its worth and while I have only owned it for little over a year feel it will be a keeper, for the rest of my life while bikes like the Venge are today's trend and will be forgotten about in 3 years time in favor of the next wonder tubing/design.

Its not to say I do not like my Venge, quite the contrary I do love it, but if I had to sell one it would not be the Colnago.

I've yet to meet a person that was unsatisfied with a well fitting Colnago. I say this because the size guides between traditional and sloping geometry sometimes put people in the wrong size but what usually happens is they manage to get in the correct size, and the realization that there is not much better then the C59 holds true.

It is a legendary bicycle from a renowned manufacturer and aside of the Master X is the only true made in Italy bike left.
OK - THIS IS A 8 YEAR OLD POST I'M REPLYING TO...BUT I'M LOOKING TO BUY a used, obvously, C59. its 60cm. Geometry numbers seem wacky, and its suggests that I 6-4, 34" inseam, should be on a 56cm colnago?>?? The guy selling is 6-2 but kinda clueless so can't trust his opinion. he's out of state, can't try bike out. but you are 6-3. and says you ride a 60cm. is that in fact apprpriate size for me? I can adjust stems, etc. Just want to make sure its close enough and definetely not too big.

wondering if you will even see this.

kytyree

by kytyree

Is it a 56 sloping frame (usually written 56s)? That'd be a 58 eff top tube, stack 591, reach 396 (with the caveat I'd verify those numbers I just googled it) .

It's confusing at first but the sizes for the sloping frames are based off the center to top measurement of the seat tube. It's still done this way on the C64. I ride anywhere from a 54 to 56 the way a lot of us describe frames but in a Colnago sloping I'm a 50s or 52s.