Kalloy Uno Ultralight.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alanyu

by alanyu

The uno 6s are around 2/3 price of uno 7s on taobao, while the faked ones are 1/3-1/2, and it is known to MTBers long time ago in China. :noidea:

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Quick question, which a search didn’t turn up the answer. What is the bolt pitch on the Uno?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Just uses standard bolts, I assume you are looking for ti bolts? Just look for some ti stem bolts on ali

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Sorry, I am looking for the distance between the bolts for a wahoo mount - it’s not bolt pitch (was rushing!)

Any ideas

PSM

by PSM

I can check later. Do you want the distance i American feet or in European mm's? :)

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Mm please. I do have the stem myself (well, I have actually got about 7!) - I just don’t have micro calipers to measure it.

If you are able to help, that would be fantastic

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

24mm (measured for a Fetha mount)

Edit: The Fetha Slim Garmin mount for Kalloy Uno is in a drawer, since I no longer have that bike. I'll sell it for $/€ 10 plus shipping if anyone wants it.

nowtaps

by nowtaps

Just an observation I'd like to share with the forum

I bought the Kalloy uno stem with a Thomson carbon dropbar 5 months ago. The Kalloy stem is the newer version with 2 piece faceplate where you install the upper two bolts then the bottom. Both bought brand new. Stem was bought so I can try the length before comitting and buying some lighter carbon ones.

Installed it properly with a little carbon paste. Double checked the torque values (I'm an engineer and I have more torque wrenches than I do bikes)

Anyway so I replaced the stem last week and there are clear gouging marks on the handlebar from where the handlebar meets the stem side (The faceplate side is fine)
IMG_6536.jpg
Then I noticed that if you feel it really carefully there's this really soft 'ridge' right where the marks are:
kalloy-fair-wheel-kalloy-uno-stealth-stem.jpeg
I did sand down the edges of the stem that meets the steerer but I admittedly didn't really check the handlebar side (only checked for sharp surfaces, the ridge isn't sharp at all).

So if you're installing a Kalloy stem, please keep this in mind! I weigh 60kg/130lbs. Bike never fell down, let alone crash. The biggest force it ever experienced were probably potholes while doing 20mph.

iamraymond

by iamraymond

nowtaps wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:27 am
Anyway so I replaced the stem last week and there are clear gouging marks on the handlebar from where the handlebar meets the stem side (The faceplate side is fine)
I had cut marks on some carbon bars caused by the Kalloy UNO stem similar to your photo. There was a ridge in the clamped area which I could feel with my fingernails and when I did the coin test there was noticeable difference in tone. Before I trashed the bars, I sanded down the 'damaged' clamping area and was happy to find that the marks on the handlebar were only in the clear coat. Once I removed the clear, the ridge was gone and it passed the coin test.

Also, when I torque down my bars I usually only go up to 3nm with a generous amount of carbon friction paste. I feel that the max 5nm is far too much and 3nm is enough to prevent the bars from slipping.

nowtaps

by nowtaps

Yep same here, I only do 3nm max on cockpit and maybe go up to 4nm on seatposts, nothing ever slips so far.

I ended up giving the bar away to a friend, he still wanted it for his commuter, even after I showed him the marks. He got a new bar, and I also have a valid reason to get a new one lol.

Coolcat

by Coolcat

Almost same experience here. I own maybe fifteen Uno 7 stems from 80 to 130 mm. With carbon handlebars, there some times appears crack-like marks from the stem. The stem side of the handlebar clamp on some of them doesn't feel perfectly round. The outer edge has an angle that pushes into the bars. This angle seems to vary, meaning that some stems are better than others.

For example I got such marks on a Zipp handlebar. Didn't dear to use the bars anymore. I sanded them down, but didn't get through the marks. Passed the coin test though. Maybe a true crack.

I avoid installing carbon handlebars to Uno 7 now.

joeeboh

by joeeboh

nowtaps wrote:Just an observation I'd like to share with the forum

I bought the Kalloy uno stem with a Thomson carbon dropbar 5 months ago. The Kalloy stem is the newer version with 2 piece faceplate where you install the upper two bolts then the bottom. Both bought brand new. Stem was bought so I can try the length before comitting and buying some lighter carbon ones.

Installed it properly with a little carbon paste. Double checked the torque values (I'm an engineer and I have more torque wrenches than I do bikes)

IMG_6536.jpg
Then I noticed that if you feel it really carefully there's this really soft 'ridge' right where the marks are:
kalloy-fair-wheel-kalloy-uno-stealth-stem.jpeg
I did sand down the edges of the stem that meets the steerer but I admittedly didn't really check the handlebar side (only checked for sharp surfaces, the ridge isn't sharp at all).

So if you're installing a Kalloy stem, please keep this in mind! I weigh 60kg/130lbs. Bike never fell down, let alone crash. The biggest force it ever experienced were probably potholes while doing 20mph.
This is worrying. I use a 2 piece faceplate on my XC bike.

How did you realize that you had to check on it? Was it by chance or were there signs that it was cutting into the bar?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

nowtaps

by nowtaps

It was by chance. Stem was meant to be a temporary while I adjust my fit. Noticed it when I was replacing it with the stem I'm using now.

I used a Thomson X2 before the Kalloy and that one didn't leave a mark even though I used it longer.

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

Are these legit Kalloy Uno's? $20 is hard to beat but I'd rather not die when trying to sprint (85kg).

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003 ... 2a348XWRC1
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

That looks good. You want the 7075 version.

Sent from my KFMAWI using Tapatalk