TDG, WW gathering, Thanks everyone, until next year!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

swinter

by swinter

I might be interested in this. How much riding are we talking about?

swinter

by swinter

Juanmoretime wrote:
swinter wrote:I might be interested in this. How much riding are we talking about?

I would think as much or as little as you want. Us flatlanders will be more challenged. We are also going to be there to see the TDG, to oogle everyones bikes and to socialize.

I would enjoy the Tour and the Litespeed factory visit, definitely. And I'd love to see some of you guys' bikes. (I ride a Litespeed Tuscany, which I have been slowly making lighter with carbon saddle, peddles, and sometime this Spring bars and stem.) But the whole thing is much more interesting to me if I can bring the bike and do some real riding. Of course, it's early in the season so I don't know whether I'll be in shape for a Tour-sized mountain, but a few hills and 35-45 miles should be doable.

It's a 10 hour drive for me from Detroit, so it's the riding that would really make it worthwhile for me.

(It's pretty flat here, too. Usually, I do a trip in the foothills of the Alleghenies each Summer to get some hills in. I'm planning an ride with my baby brother early in April in New England, so will have some hills under my belt by the Tour.)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Herbert

by Herbert

swinter wrote:I might be interested in this. How much riding are we talking about?

About as much as you want or about as little as you want. :-)
It looks like the group will be quite diverse and thus once we know who all will come for sure we may see to offer a couple choices. There seem to be at least 3 local guys involved so we should be able to have enough ride leaders.

The only ride for all with a pre-determined distance is the Saturday Brasstown Bald one, as we would ride from Blairsville, GA about a 70 miles roundtrip on that day to see the racers on both the Unicoi Gap and Brasstown Bald. But there would be at least the 2 stops to see the race, plus in all reality some folks can just ride to Brasstown Bald and hang out there until the group that rode over to Unicoi Gap returns. And since nothing is mandatory others can just either drive there, park close and walk, or the opposite option would be to ride all the way from Chattanooga to there and back for a nice 200 mile extra stint. (Chattanooga, TN to Blairsville, Ga = 100 miles) :-)

Cheers,

Herbert
Litespeed
www.litespeed.com

kAb

by kAb

How many of you attending plan on following all the way to the finish in Alpharetta?

AceVentura

by AceVentura

I keep checking the TDG website for the race bible(route details, roads, etc.)and have yet to see this info.......I mention this thinking of the plans for Sat. ride from Blairsville to Unicoi and on to Brasstown.....It could be tricky trying to double back to the finish in time depending on the route details....It's not far from Unicoi to Brasstown base(top of Jack's Gap), so depending on the race route, this may cause a problem....

The alternative may be to do the ride seperately(earlier, at the break of dawn) and go view the race afterwards...

I'd be happy to lead a ride from the campground I'm staying at(Friday or Sat. or Sunday a.m.) and probably could arrange for parking of cars in one of their meadows.....A favorite loop of mine is good for exp.- average to racers(challenging climbs but not totally demoralizing...About 60 miles with lots of valley riding that also includes Jack's, Unicoi and Neels gaps..An option for 15 more excludes Neel's and includes Woody's and Wolfpen. The difficulty of the specific Gaps depends on the direction (clockwise vs. Counterclockwise) you go as typically the northside of each Gap is on a plateau so if your heading south you have a shorter climb but longer descent(Wolfpen is the exception, it's longer on the Northside).

Back to the race bible, if anyone has a link to details already please share....

Peace!!
I probably can't make it to Chattanooga as I'll be setting up my campsite on THurs. nite. http://www.trackrock.com/index.html ....They have saved an extra campsite for me so if anyone is interested in getting it, it is still open...Just email me for details!!

Charles.h.Cobb@delta.com
AceVentura/PedalDetective

Herbert

by Herbert

AceVentura wrote:I keep checking the TDG website for the race bible(route details, roads, etc.)and have yet to see this info.......I mention this thinking of the plans for Sat. ride from Blairsville to Unicoi and on to Brasstown.....It could be tricky trying to double back to the finish in time depending on the route details....It's not far from Unicoi to Brasstown base(top of Jack's Gap), so depending on the race route, this may cause a problem....

I rode it that way last year with a couple folks and basically once the peloton went by we went the other way and arrived at Brasstown Bald more than half an hour before the Peloton arrived. So unless they change it drastically this is easily managable for all.

Herbert
Litespeed
www.litespeed.com

swinter

by swinter

I'm pretty sure I will be able to come; but I'm still waiting to hear from my ride buddy whether he can take the time off to do it too.

I'm okay on endurance, but not sure I'm up for the race speeds. I may have to ride with the flatlanders (like juanmoretime).

climbingcue

by climbingcue

I am trying to figure out my plans, I am thinking of staying in Chattanooga on Wed, thursday night. Then staying in Blairsville, GA on friday and saturday night. Just want to make sure that the ride would be leaving from Blairsville GA on saturday morning for Brasstown Bald. Then I would head back north on sunday.

Thanks,
Bill

AceVentura

by AceVentura

Herbert wrote:
AceVentura wrote:I rode it that way last year with a couple folks and basically once the peloton went by we went the other way and arrived at Brasstown Bald more than half an hour before the Peloton arrived. So unless they change it drastically this is easily managable for all.

Herbert: my concern is because this year the route will drastically change for the B-town finish day due to the fact it's starting in Blairsville as opposed to Gainesville....Blairsville is a stone's throw from B-town Bald so this is why I'm interested to see the route details for that day...The race is probably going to meander all over the 6 gap area that day and IF, I say if, it heads over Unicoi just before taking a left on 180 to end at BBald....That would make it impossible to get back...Previously it headed S. over Unicoi and on to Hogpen and coming in from the other side of Jack's afforded plenty of time for the plans you have....

We'll see, I hope they release the details soon!!
AceVentura/PedalDetective

swinter

by swinter

I wonder if Herbert or one of the Chattanooga people can give me the heads up on this: I'm looking on Expedia for an inexpensive place to stay (the Marriot is already booked over the weekend) and came up with a Quality Inn on Brainerd Rd between Spring Creek Rd and Eastgate Mall, about 7 miles from downtown. Does sound like a reasonable option?

Thanks.
"I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones." -- John Cage

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB ... 928#126928

Herbert

by Herbert

swinter wrote:I wonder if Herbert or one of the Chattanooga people can give me the heads up on this: I'm looking on Expedia for an inexpensive place to stay (the Marriot is already booked over the weekend) and came up with a Quality Inn on Brainerd Rd between Spring Creek Rd and Eastgate Mall, about 7 miles from downtown. Does sound like a reasonable option?

Thanks.

That is actually not a nice area. Pick a hotel on the 7000 block of Shallowford road (right of Exit 5, I-75 North) such as the LaQuinta Inn at 7015 Shallowford Road, or any of the hotels on McCutcheon (also right at that Exit) such as a Holiday Inn Express at 7024 McCutcheon Rd., or the Microtel Inn at 7014 McCutcheon Rd. That is aproximately 10 miles from downtown, but close to the airport and the big mall and all kinds of stores and restaurants. All these hotels are less expensive.
Plus they are closer to the Litespeed facility which is of Exit 11 of I-75 North. :-)

But downtown is really better.

Hope this helps,

Herbert
Litespeed
www.litespeed.com

swinter

by swinter

Herbert wrote:
Pick a hotel on the 7000 block of Shallowford road (right of Exit 5, I-75 North) such as the LaQuinta Inn at 7015 Shallowford Road, . . .

Plus they are closer to the Litespeed facility which is of Exit 11 of I-75 North. :-)

But downtown is really better.

I'm sure it is, but I'll be driving down from MI to save money so I'll have my car anyway. Besides, my 15 year old wants to come with me. (I told him he could only come if he trains with me between now and then. But then he doesn't have to do track like his mother wanted him to.) So doesn't look like I'd be doing much carousing anyway. :(

The La Quinta is available, so I'll probably do that.

Thanks for the help. :D
"I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones." -- John Cage

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB ... 928#126928

drjones96

by drjones96

Hey all. This is a maybe but I'm trying to figure out a schedule for myself but I may be IN for some of the activities. I could probably manage being there 2 days. I live about 11 hours away I think so I'd spend a day driving on each end of the trip.

Thurs - Drive from FTW to Chat, TN
Fri - WW Activities?
Sat - Brasstown Bald Stage
Sun - Drive Back to FTW

I drive a big red suburban so I may be able to cart some WW's around too :P .

Anybody know where I can sleep (really really) cheep?

Herbert

by Herbert

Dr. Jones,
I'll check to see what else is available in terms of hotels, but remember that bikemesenger had offered some space.

As for friday activities, most likely breakfast in the morning then watch the start in Dalton, Ga which is only 20 minutes from Chattanooga, then we can possibly split up. Those who want to ride a lot can do the 3 States, 3 Mountains metric century loop, and those who want to enjoy watching the first mountain stage can head out on the TdG race course.

Juanmoretime can you update the activities both on page 4 of this thread, plus also add the total activities to your opening post?

I am really looking forward to this. :thumbup:

Herbert

Litespeed
www.litespeed.com

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drjones96

by drjones96

Herbert wrote:I'll check to see what else is available in terms of hotels, but remember that bikemesenger had offered some space.

I saw that after I posted. I pm'd him about it and I think if I end up going I'll crash at his place.