Recommend me brakepads for Enve 25s

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

physeter

by physeter

Hello

I have a set of Enve 25s laced to Alchemy hubs, they are great,light and quite stiff

My concern is braking; I have a set of EEbrakes and the original Enve pads, but I don't like them; I feel them too soft and sincerely I'm quite disapointted

Any recommendations? Anyone has tried Reynolds pads on Enve rims?

Regards

asv

by asv

Just an FYI the use of a non-enve pad on an enve wheel voids your warranty.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mauiguy

by mauiguy

The new Zipp pads work really well for me on all my carbon wheels including my Enve 25. They wear fast but stop great in the dry and decent in the wet. There are miles ahead of cork pads and never leave any build up on the braking surface, or pulse. I regularly do 6500 ft descents. One road is 15% grade descent for 20 min's.

eric

by eric

physeter- read the warranty before you use alternate pads.

mauiguy- where do you have such hard climbs? Sounds fun.

If that 15% is really the whole 20 min and not just the sign posted on the road which is the single steepest section, then it's a very steep descent. Either way you'd be braking on it, but if it's also got tight turns that would require a lot more braking than a dead straight run. So it is useful when describing descents for the purposes of brake heat to include a description of the amount and tightness of the turns.

For example I have done some descents in the eastern Sierras of Caliornia which are 6000' but are easy on brakes because the turns are few and wide, requiring little or no braking. I've done 1500' descents in the Santa Cruz mountains which are very hard on brakes because they have a lot of 10-15 mph hairpins. That means lots of braking and lower speeds that generate less convection cooling of the rims.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

I like reynolds cryo blue pads

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Straight from the Enve website:

■ENVE Grey brake pads are provided with ENVE rims and complete wheelsets. Failure to use the ENVE Grey brake pads will void the warranty.

Not sur eif this applies to the 5 year warranty or the lifetime crash warranty. I'm going to try the Black Prince pads and see howthey perfrom though, but not until summer. It's winter here now and we just had snow and hail last night. The Enves are hanging up inthe garage.

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

mauiguy wrote:The new Zipp pads work really well for me on all my carbon wheels including my Enve 25. They wear fast but stop great in the dry and decent in the wet.

When you say new Zipp pads, do you mean the Tangente Platinum Pro Evo?

highwater

by highwater

The Enve pads work great!

brycerider

by brycerider

Wore out my Enve pads and now running a set of Swisstop Black Prince which I must say are noticeably better at stopping than the Enve version. They do void your warranty but my shop who sold me the wheels and the pads are cool with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
N+1 It Never Stops

physeter

by physeter

Thanks for the answers

Yes, I know that the use of a non enve pad voids the warranty, but sincerely this is my second enve pad set and I'm quite disappointed;

I will try with the new Zipp and the Reynolds

rijndael

by rijndael

dereksmalls wrote:Straight from the Enve website:

■ENVE Grey brake pads are provided with ENVE rims and complete wheelsets. Failure to use the ENVE Grey brake pads will void the warranty.

Not sur eif this applies to the 5 year warranty or the lifetime crash warranty. I'm going to try the Black Prince pads and see howthey perfrom though, but not until summer. It's winter here now and we just had snow and hail last night. The Enves are hanging up inthe garage.

For US customers, I'd be interested to hear how this complies with the Magnuson–Moss Act.

natiedean24

by natiedean24

In a warranty claim, how exactly do they verify that their pads (Enve) have been used for the life of the product?

civdic

by civdic

I have a set of enve 45's and 25. I also have EEbrakes. Enve pads work great for me and I'm not the lightest rider. You sure your brakes are set up right?

wingguy

by wingguy

dereksmalls wrote:Straight from the Enve website:

Two thoughts about that: first, just tell them you've always used Enve pads:

Second, depending on where you are their statement may be overruled by your statutory rights as a customer anyway. Unless ENVE can show otherwise I'd think it's a perfectly reasonable expectation that their carbon rim won't be unduly affected by an other brand carbon pad. Especially when they claim to have one of the safest rims on the market.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

brycerider wrote:Wore out my Enve pads and now running a set of Swisstop Black Prince which I must say are noticeably better at stopping than the Enve version. They do void your warranty but my shop who sold me the wheels and the pads are cool with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

In what way? Better, power, wear, modulation, wet performance? What brakes and levers are you using? I'm running 45s with Campag carbon Centaur levers, KCNC C7 calipers and will put the Black Prince pads in come summer.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com