Problems with Sidi Wire with direct speedplay mount

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bregne

by Bregne

Hello

I'm lately (having raced the shoes for a month or so) expericing issues with my Sidi Wire with direct speedplay mount.

The problem is, that the clamp is pushing towards the hell, when i'm riding - making me have to stretch my legs more. What could the problem be? When i have ridden the shoes they will have pushed them selves as far down as possible?

Any one with similar problems, and a solution?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bregne

by Bregne

Sorry, of course i meant cleat. Not clamp.

Excuse me for me danglish...

Liggero

by Liggero

well, if the cleat is moving, it micht be that the bolts are not properly tighten, so you should tighten then harder, or use some kind of anti-slide material in between cleat and shoe, like carbon grease or sanding paper, or much better, a very thin layer of rubber, like for instace a piece of an old tube, a very thin and light one, so the layer will be even thinner. Then tighten the bolts properly.
Happy Trails !!!

reknop

by reknop

Bregne wrote:Hello

I'm lately (having raced the shoes for a month or so) expericing issues with my Sidi Wire with direct speedplay mount.

The problem is, that the clamp is pushing towards the hell, when i'm riding - making me have to stretch my legs more. What could the problem be? When i have ridden the shoes they will have pushed them selves as far down as possible?

Any one with similar problems, and a solution?

I have Sidi Wire Carbon SP shoes and use those with Speedplay Zero Stainless pedals. A little Dynamic Carbon Assembly paste on the carbon sole, than the Speedplay Carbon Sole Protector kit and than the Speedplay Zero cleats on top of it. Tightened with a torque-wrench and you are good to go for a lot of pleasant km. on your bike.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

verbs4us

by verbs4us

reknop wrote:
Bregne wrote: Tightened with a torque-wrench and you are good to go for a lot of pleasant km. on your bike.

the torque wrench part is important. Too tight and you'll warp the cleat so it doesn't engage/disengage properly; too loose and it will slide around. Follow the torque specs that came with the shoes. Also, retorque periodically. I find that they can losen over time. A little Loc-Tite or equivalent can help.

reknop

by reknop

verbs4us wrote:
reknop wrote:
Bregne wrote: Tightened with a torque-wrench and you are good to go for a lot of pleasant km. on your bike.

the torque wrench part is important. Too tight and you'll warp the cleat so it doesn't engage/disengage properly; too loose and it will slide around. Follow the torque specs that came with the shoes. Also, retorque periodically. I find that they can losen over time. A little Loc-Tite or equivalent can help.

Yep, a good quality torque wrench is a must have for every home-mechanic.
One thing I still don't understand is why Speedplay keeps using bolts with a PH head ... :)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

one of my ratchets on my new pair comes loose all the time.. any way to fix this other than a new one?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nycebo

by nycebo

You've gotten all good advice. I prefer the carbon paste between the sole and shim. Then, I use blue loctite on the screws. Then I use the speedplay torque screwdriver (I know, too pricey for what it is but such is life) to tighten down. I lube the spring almost every other ride with a dry lube spray....but not too much of it. If you are entering and exiting the pedal easily, that diminishes the likelihood of the cleat slipping around. Good luck.