2013 tcr advanced sl frameset Di2 installation.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

doggatas

by doggatas

I am slowly collecting the parts to swap over the mechanical shifters and derailleurs to 9070 Di2 on my 2013 tcr advanced sl 1.

I googled a little bit but can't find any wiring diagrams specific to the tcr advanced sl frameset. A couple of things I'd like to know prior to installing the bits.

From the factory where do they place the internal junction box? And how is it fixed in place?
Does the battery mount use the 10mm or 16mm bolts?
And finally where does the cable from the handle bars run once it enters the underside of the top tube? Does it come back on itself and then down the head tube and down tube? Or does it run along the top tube and then down the seat tube?

Cheers and thanks in advance!!

Omiar

by Omiar

1. There are no specific wirings. You buy the amount of wires you need with the length you need.
2. Use the new SM-BTR2 seat post battery
3. You need SM-JC41 junction box. Placement depend on the frame, i.e. where do you have a hole big enough to put the junction box inside the frame. It doesn't really need any fixing, the 4 wires going to it are going to hold it in place anyway. If it starts to rattle, put a thin layer of foam or rubber around it.
4. The 9070 uses EW-SD50 wires, you need 4 if you use SM-EW67A-E Wire Kit for the shifters. You need 6 of them if you use SM-EW90-A/SM-EW90-B junction for the shifters. SM-EW67A-E Wire Kit has wires "built-in", SM-EW90-A/SM-EW90-B doesn't.
5. I run the longest EW-SD50 wire from the shifters junction to the JC41 junction box along the down tube.
Cannondale SystemSix R8170
Trek Checkpoint SL5 MY2022

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mlchang

by mlchang

The wire that enters the top tube has to run back towards the head tube and then enter the downtube from there.
No space in the seat tube since the seatpost is there for the wires to pass from the top tube into the seat tube.
JC41 never rattled for me

If you use internal battery, you will have to use the SM-EW90-A/SM-EW90-B junction for the shifters. The SM-EW67A-E will only work with the BTR1 battery mounts.

doggatas

by doggatas

Thanks for the replies. I plan to use the external battery and install the Di2 system on the frame as if it were from the factory. The way the stock Giants are wired looks clean enough for me. I had contemplated on using either the SM-EW90-A or SM-EW90-B but I think ill just go with with the M-EW67A-E and as Omiar stated it comes with the STI cables hard wired.

Rear Derailleur arrived today!

austke

by austke

mlchang wrote:The wire that enters the top tube has to run back towards the head tube and then enter the downtube from there.
No space in the seat tube since the seatpost is there for the wires to pass from the top tube into the seat tube.
JC41 never rattled for me

If you use internal battery, you will have to use the SM-EW90-A/SM-EW90-B junction for the shifters. The SM-EW67A-E will only work with the BTR1 battery mounts.

Had me thinking. Because I have an ISP, my wireing could theorectically go either way. So I just checked, and yes my wireing goes into top tube, and then forwards to head tube, and then down the downtube.
My junction box is resting on top of my Bottom Bracket Shell.
I'm not sure if the new internal seatpost battery will fit, because of the Aero ISP? I'm guessing not.
2013 Giant TCR Advanced SL 0, 6.92kg
2013 Giant Defy Composite 2 M, 8.5kg - Wife's
Azzurro Torino 8.55g
Fuji 650 10.8kg
Miele Lupa Triple Tandem 38,89kg

dha

by dha

Running an internal battery in my aero seatpost on my scott foil. The battery is quite small and I wrapped it with bubble wrap to get a tight fit in the seatpost.

doggatas

by doggatas

Thanks guys, conversion is complete, first ride tomorrow along with DA 9000 SRM.

kode54

by kode54

doggatas wrote:Thanks guys, conversion is complete, first ride tomorrow along with DA 9000 SRM.

just to tidy things up...get a Barfly 2.0 where you can zip tie the junction box underneath...that's if you have a garmin (500/510 or 800/810).
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

policedutchdog

by policedutchdog

Did you use the internal seatpost battery. I'm going to convert my TCR SL a well and I'm not sure if the seatpost battery will work or not.

Thanks.

Scott