Specialized Srm - BB compatibility

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

micky

by micky

I've been offered recently an used Specialized Srm, donno the exact year but has same stickers as the one used by Astana in 2010 (see below photo).

I wanted to know if early model of Specialized Srm use the same specs as the Lightning cranks, which would meant I could use it also on a BSA frame.
By looking at info in here, it seems that Specialized and Lightning cranksets were similar till 2011, but from 2012 the big S changed design.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nismo4x4

by Nismo4x4

The 2010 models still offered an English BB which was discontinued in 2011, which may explain how the SRM was mounted.

micky

by micky

So that would confirm that the Lighting BSA BB could fit?
I mean like this one... http://www.lightningbikes.com/cranks/bb-cup-types.html ?
Cheers

Machinenoise

by Machinenoise

NO! been there done that, specialized spindle is OSBB length which is about 20mm (i forget the exact figure) too short. You can bodge it with a lightning crank on the spider, but the spider is offset away from the frame too far, and is rotated about 18degrees, meaning that one chainring bolt is partially obscured by the crank arm. Don't do it unless you have a proper BB30 native frame.