Frame size, new bike fitting, questions

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
win32
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:01 am

by win32

silvalis wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:37 pm
Should be higher than the Aria 53cm, unless the Aria was brand new and came like all new bianchis - with 50mm of spacers.

Just keep in mind - if you take a few spacers off the 55 Aria, it's pretty much the same geometry as that Canyon
Yes, Aria was new but I can choose new Aria with bad wheels and 105 or in this case used (very litle used) Aeroad with carbon wheels, Ultegra and I think Aeroad have better frame.
On Cannondale I have new bike with Di2 Ultegra.
Thank you for all and for two days this one who have Canyon is going home from work and I will see few more things with him about bike. I don't know why but he was buying some extra spacers for his Aeroad (maybe same problem like mine with drop :)).
If Aeroad is not ok, I'm going for Cannondale.
Cannondale od really nice, classic bike and maybe I will buy it before Canyon if he have some better wheels but HR have original Mavic.

zinedrei
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:36 am

by zinedrei

need some clarification please.

i recently had a fit and was told that my sizing is:
frame stack: 516mm
frame reach: 375

i am looking at the Canyon Ultimate and was told by my fitter to get a size xs frame which has stack of 522 and reach of 378.

does it mean that when choosing frame sizes, i need to pick the one closest to the stack and should be less whilst the reach can be more that my sizing?

tia...

by Weenie


User avatar
silvalis
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:02 am
Location: Aus

by silvalis

It's a balance of both. Your fitter probably just told you to get the XS because your numbers are much closer to the XS than the XXS.

If you want to slam your stem, then yes, prioritise stack over reach.
Chasse patate

zinedrei
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:36 am

by zinedrei

silvalis wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:58 am
It's a balance of both. Your fitter probably just told you to get the XS because your numbers are much closer to the XS than the XXS.

If you want to slam your stem, then yes, prioritise stack over reach.
thank you.
whilst waiting for a sale on canyon because of tdf, i came across the colnago evo clx disc in merlin.
this one is cheaper and has free shipping so i have added it to the list of frames to choose from

however, i am confused with the sloping geometry when it comes to sizing.

should i go for 48s?

https://imgur.com/a/AssS2jB

below is my fit report:
frame stack: 516mm
frame reach: 375
Attachments
colnago geometry.jpg

alanyu
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:10 pm

by alanyu

zinedrei wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:59 pm
silvalis wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:58 am
It's a balance of both. Your fitter probably just told you to get the XS because your numbers are much closer to the XS than the XXS.

If you want to slam your stem, then yes, prioritise stack over reach.
thank you.
whilst waiting for a sale on canyon because of tdf, i came across the colnago evo clx disc in merlin.
this one is cheaper and has free shipping so i have added it to the list of frames to choose from

however, i am confused with the sloping geometry when it comes to sizing.

should i go for 48s?

https://imgur.com/a/AssS2jB

below is my fit report:
frame stack: 516mm
frame reach: 375
Seems 42s/45s is more suitable for you if only considering S and R.

User avatar
silvalis
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:02 am
Location: Aus

by silvalis

zinedrei wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:59 pm
silvalis wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:58 am
It's a balance of both. Your fitter probably just told you to get the XS because your numbers are much closer to the XS than the XXS.

If you want to slam your stem, then yes, prioritise stack over reach.
thank you.
whilst waiting for a sale on canyon because of tdf, i came across the colnago evo clx disc in merlin.
this one is cheaper and has free shipping so i have added it to the list of frames to choose from

however, i am confused with the sloping geometry when it comes to sizing.

should i go for 48s?

https://imgur.com/a/AssS2jB

below is my fit report:
frame stack: 516mm
frame reach: 375
If your current bike is slammed i'd take the 42s. If you have an abnormally short stem (I don't know whats stock on this size. 80mm?), i'd also take the 42s.
If your current bike is neither slammed nor have shortened the stock stem, the 45s would be more suitable.
Chasse patate

Mindflash
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:59 am

by Mindflash

Hi all,

I did some bike fitting years ago. Got it as a gift, unfortunately not at fitter with worldwide recognized fitting method.

This is the result (right side figures):
Screenshot_20190630_125709.jpg
Seems I have short legs for my height (174cm).
I dropped a bar for additional 0.5 cm (one 0,5cm spacer remains in the bike) , otherwise it seems like a good fit to me, no issues whilie riding for couple of hours.

I ride Ghost EBS Race Lector 2013, size 53. Stem 100mm, crank shimano ultegra 172,5mm.

Was thinking about getting an Bianchi XR.3, size 53. Reach is roughly the same, stack is 2,6cm lower. In theory with keeping couple of spacers would bring me to same position right?

alanyu
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:10 pm

by alanyu

Mindflash wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:17 am
Hi all,

I did some bike fitting years ago. Got it as a gift, unfortunately not at fitter with worldwide recognized fitting method.

This is the result (right side figures):
Screenshot_20190630_125709.jpg

Seems I have short legs for my height (174cm).
I dropped a bar for additional 0.5 cm (one 0,5cm spacer remains in the bike) , otherwise it seems like a good fit to me, no issues whilie riding for couple of hours.

I ride Ghost EBS Race Lector 2013, size 53. Stem 100mm, crank shimano ultegra 172,5mm.

Was thinking about getting an Bianchi XR.3, size 53. Reach is roughly the same, stack is 2,6cm lower. In theory with keeping couple of spacers would bring me to same position right?
Yes, 3cm spacers can roughly bring you to same position, which actually increase the effective stack around 2.8cm, if both headset tops are the same height. Effective reach will reduce around 1cm with 3cm spacers, which means you can use 1cm longer stem with a similar angle and the same bar.

alanyu
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:10 pm

by alanyu

Mindflash wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:17 am
Hi all,

I did some bike fitting years ago. Got it as a gift, unfortunately not at fitter with worldwide recognized fitting method.

This is the result (right side figures):
Screenshot_20190630_125709.jpg

Seems I have short legs for my height (174cm).
I dropped a bar for additional 0.5 cm (one 0,5cm spacer remains in the bike) , otherwise it seems like a good fit to me, no issues whilie riding for couple of hours.

I ride Ghost EBS Race Lector 2013, size 53. Stem 100mm, crank shimano ultegra 172,5mm.

Was thinking about getting an Bianchi XR.3, size 53. Reach is roughly the same, stack is 2,6cm lower. In theory with keeping couple of spacers would bring me to same position right?
Yes, 3cm spacers can roughly bring you to same position, which actually increase the effective stack around 2.8cm, if both headset tops are the same height. Effective reach will reduce around 1cm with 3cm spacers, which means you can use 1cm longer stem with a similar angle and the same bar.

iankovski
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:44 pm

by iankovski

Guys. I used a CAAD9 54’ and it was a bit large to me. Now I’m looking for a new bike and I found a BH G6 PRO size S that I think could be fit to me. Problem is that it has that integrated seat post.

I’m 5’8 with a 79cm legs.

The bikes looks almost the same geometry. What do you think?
C4EF4803-668E-4EF7-B534-54866557EA82.jpeg

zefs
Posts: 438
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:40 pm

by zefs

Large as in? The BH will be a little more aggressive / stretched out because of the lower stack (although you can use the spacers).
Did you try a shorter stem on the CAAD?

Bliquid
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:50 pm

by Bliquid

Pre 2016 venge owners: at 5’ 9” (175cm-ish) what frame size are you riding + how many spacers + stem length.
Thanks,
Ben

Miles253
Posts: 191
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:32 am

by Miles253

Any short reach, oval top handlebar recommendations? All in ones viable too
Specialized S-Works Venge | in progress
Rose Backroad | 9kg
Canyon Ultimate CF SL | 7.5kg

https://www.findyourroad.co.uk/
Instagram: @miles_bc

Sinicity
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:02 pm

by Sinicity

Need some help here. Trying to figure out if I can downsize to a 56 tarmac frame.

Here's my old bike fit https://imgur.com/BU3qXR9

I was riding a Pinarello GAN in 57.5 - here's comparisons to the Tarmac 56 and 58
https://imgur.com/Gopfi3X

57.5 GAN- Reach: 395 Stack: 590
56 Tarmac - Reach: 395 Stack 565
58 Tarmac - Reach 402 Stack 591

For the reach - I match the 56 frame perfectly.
For the stack - I match the 58 frame perfectly.

Do you think it's possible to downsize to the 56? Would that mean I have to put a crap ton of spacers? My 57.5 GAN already had 20mm worth

by Weenie


mf22433
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 8:35 am

by mf22433

Sinicity wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:19 am
Need some help here. Trying to figure out if I can downsize to a 56 tarmac frame.

Here's my old bike fit https://imgur.com/BU3qXR9

I was riding a Pinarello GAN in 57.5 - here's comparisons to the Tarmac 56 and 58
https://imgur.com/Gopfi3X

57.5 GAN- Reach: 395 Stack: 590
56 Tarmac - Reach: 395 Stack 565
58 Tarmac - Reach 402 Stack 591

For the reach - I match the 56 frame perfectly.
For the stack - I match the 58 frame perfectly.

Do you think it's possible to downsize to the 56? Would that mean I have to put a crap ton of spacers? My 57.5 GAN already had 20mm worth
To reach the same stack on the Tarmac 56 as on the GAN with 20mm spacers you would need 45mm of spacers on the Tarmac... Not sure what is the maximum allowed.
On the Venge there is a maximum for the number of spacers i.e. 35mm on top of the compulsory 16mm spacers. I think you should validate that with a Specialized dealer.

I am in a quite similar situation but coming from a Pinarello F8 size 55 and would like to go to a Venge. The 56 is ideal in reach, the 58 is ideal in stack. Either I have to add spacers on the 56 (30mm) or go for a pretty short stem on the 58 (90mm, perhaps 100mm with a bit of luck).

I visited a Specialized dealer and he confirmed that I am quite in the middle of 56 and 58. The guy from the shop is telling me to go for 58 but I am afraid about the reach ... I have 1 month to decide :-)

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post