Frame size, new bike fitting, questions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gorkypl

by gorkypl

swat wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:35 am
Thanks, have about 40mm spacers on it with about 14cm drop from the saddle. Have had couple of rides around 2 hours each, so far so good. Let’s see if it does become painful. My core strength is not bad thanks to the planks but nowhere close to the pros for sure.
14cm drop is quite substantial already, only you can tell if this your limit. Have you done any bikefitting yet?
Said that, one size bigger frame has almost the same reach, but 1cm higher stack, and this would look like a better fit — not sure if you could exchange the frame at this point though?

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

swat

by swat

gorkypl wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:30 pm
swat wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:35 am
Thanks, have about 40mm spacers on it with about 14cm drop from the saddle. Have had couple of rides around 2 hours each, so far so good. Let’s see if it does become painful. My core strength is not bad thanks to the planks but nowhere close to the pros for sure.
14cm drop is quite substantial already, only you can tell if this your limit. Have you done any bikefitting yet?
Said that, one size bigger frame has almost the same reach, but 1cm higher stack, and this would look like a better fit — not sure if you could exchange the frame at this point though?
Yea, have had few rides on it and so far no complaints so let's see. Might sell and get 56 if it starts giving trouble down the line.

maldock

by maldock

Hi all,

I have a sizing query regarding the S-works Venge 2019. I'm 173cm and in between sizes 52 & 54. The mechanics over at my LBS has recommended me to go 54 with the option to slam the stem as compared to a 52 with some spacers and quite possibly having to get a longer stem. (52 comes with a 90mm stem) 

Any insights as to which sizing I should go for would be great! Thanks!

pmprego

by pmprego

maldock wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:56 pm
Hi all,

I have a sizing query regarding the S-works Venge 2019. I'm 173cm and in between sizes 52 & 54. The mechanics over at my LBS has recommended me to go 54 with the option to slam the stem as compared to a 52 with some spacers and quite possibly having to get a longer stem. (52 comes with a 90mm stem) 

Any insights as to which sizing I should go for would be great! Thanks!
I usually prefer smaller frame size. Having a couple of spacers increases resale value for instance. Visually, I also prefer the slightly longer stem as compared to a shorter one.

DaveS

by DaveS

Regarding the venge, there's 17mm difference in the stack and 9mm difference in reach, once corrected to the same stack. Stems are easily changed, that should be included, if necessary. I'd go with the smaller size.

Be brave enough to try a 10cm saddle to bar drop. I do it and I'm old.

tomato

by tomato

DaveS wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:42 pm
Be brave enough to try a 10cm saddle to bar drop.
I never knew bravery factored into proper bike fit.

DaveS

by DaveS

Proper is a matter of opinion. The lower you get, the less wind resistance. Some fitters might think that a 2,4 or 6cm drop is proper. I rode 8cm for a long time, then decided to try 10cm. Went from a -6 stem to a -17. No problem. You never know unless you try it.

pmprego

by pmprego

tomato wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:46 pm
DaveS wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:42 pm
Be brave enough to try a 10cm saddle to bar drop.
I never knew bravery factored into proper bike fit.
It's just not numbers. I've once had a thread here to hear people's opinion because I've had just came from a bikefit where they said i had to increase stack because my hip angle was just too close to what a pro uses and I'm not a pro. I've tried to explain that i was really comfortable in that position and incould even go lower if i wanted. I could not go further on the other hand.

maldock

by maldock

Thanks all for the encouraging answers. I guess if I never try, I'd never know. Having said that it's time to get it on with the build.

Weber

by Weber

Hi all,

Two topic.

Is there a difference in the reach of the shimano levers from the old mechanical and disc brake?

What do you think of the frames you have that have a 73 ° seat tube in 56. Isn't that too little? I'm 6ft (1.82) that to have that angulation in the frames that I get like the giant TCR it is necessary to go towards a 54. I used a 2018 cannondale supersix

Weber

by Weber

gorkypl wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:47 am
560 stack is quite low for 89 inseam, so you will either have super aggressive position or something like 3cm of spacers. One size bigger would probably work better, unless you have flexibility and core strength of pro racers.
Is there a table to find the recommended stack for different heights?

1,82cm 84 inseam

gorkypl

by gorkypl

Weber wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:13 am
gorkypl wrote:
560 stack is quite low for 89 inseam, so you will either have super aggressive position or something like 3cm of spacers. One size bigger would probably work better, unless you have flexibility and core strength of pro racers.

1,82cm 84 inseam
Optimal stack for any given height and inseam depends on many things - the most important are probably:
- intended position (back angle in relation to the ground)
- flexibility (can the desired back angle be achieved by hip rotation without straining the lower back?)
- arms length

It's difficult to throw numbers without seeing a person and discussing the needs. Therefore a bike fit done by a skilled fitter is always a worthy investment IMO. Otherwise going with the manufacturer's recommendations is probably the safest bet.

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

Weber

by Weber

gorkypl wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:47 pm
Weber wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:13 am
gorkypl wrote:

1,82cm 84 inseam
Optimal stack for any given height and inseam depends on many things - the most important are probably:
- intended position (back angle in relation to the ground)
- flexibility (can the desired back angle be achieved by hip rotation without straining the lower back?)
- arms length

It's difficult to throw numbers without seeing a person and discussing the needs. Therefore a bike fit done by a skilled fitter is always a worthy investment IMO. Otherwise going with the manufacturer's recommendations is probably the safest bet.
I'm asking why I have a giant tcr M / L advanced 2021 and I'm using the all-forward seat and a 110 stem.
Compared to my previous bike of size 56 it is quite a big change, I had to lower the length of the stem and move the seat forward to achieve an equally comfortable position. Still I feel slightly stretched.

But the difference stacks between a cannondale 56 and this bike in a down size(54) are huge

gorkypl

by gorkypl

Weber wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:33 pm
But the difference stacks between a cannondale 56 and this bike in a down size(54) are huge
Not sure what your previous bike was, but TCR is a race bike with low stack and high reach for each size. Depending on your flexibility and core strength, you may even be unable to achieve a fully comfortable position on this frame.

As a side note, it's not a good practice to move saddle forward to compensate for too long cockpit. Saddle position should be set based on your anatomy (leg bone lengths) and then appropriate stem length and height should be selected to achieve a desired position.

Weber

by Weber

gorkypl wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:50 am
Weber wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:33 pm
Not sure what your previous bike was, but TCR is a race bike with low stack and high reach for each size. Depending on your flexibility and core strength, you may even be unable to achieve a fully comfortable position on this frame.

As a side note, it's not a good practice to move saddle forward to compensate for too long cockpit. Saddle position should be set based on your anatomy (leg bone lengths) and then appropriate stem length and height should be selected to achieve a desired position.
It was a cannondale. I use my saddle in 75,6cm bottom bracket to the middle of the saddle with 120mm stem -6° and 20mm spacers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com